Intentionally incorrect cache attribrutes

beejay&esskay

A number of cache owners use intentionally incorrect cache attributes, I think.

Aside from some liars' caches, here are some local examples:

"Swimming may be required" on a terrain 1.5 cemetery cache.

A whole slew of "abandoned mines" in areas where there is no danger in finding a mine, much less of falling into it.

A cache owner who thinks, as a general rule, we should all "watch for livestock".

Should cache owners intentionally put incorrect attributes on their caches?

A number of cache owners use intentionally incorrect cache attributes, I think.

Aside from some liars' caches, here are some local examples:

"Swimming may be required" on a terrain 1.5 cemetery cache.

A whole slew of "abandoned mines" in areas where there is no danger in finding a mine, much less of falling into it.

A cache owner who thinks, as a general rule, we should all "watch for livestock".

No, they shouldn't and you should contact them, and their reviewer whenever they have intentionally misrepresented their cache.

I put the 'falling rocks' and 'abandoned mine nearby' attribs on my Omaholiday Pizza Party cache, a 1/1. May have done it once or twice elsewhere, where it was screamingly obvious that they didn't apply (i.e., scuba gear required, for a 1/1.5 PnG.) I don't think I would have done it for any cache rated above 1.5 though. Most people saw the humor in it.

I admit to using the "watch out for cactus" icon in the pre attribute days for laughs (using the old 9Key icon generator), but generally it's a bad idea. If a cache uses the significant hike attribute and I find it's really a park n grab I'd be more than a little ticked off. People use these things to select caches they want to hunt (or not) and misusing them is not funny. It's getting hard enoughto sort through the caches to find ones I like without people intentionally misusing attributes as well as terrain and difficulty levels.

Edited by briansnat

It did once cross my mind to place a cache within sight of my place of work, which is not near any water, and give it the scuba attribute, just to watch for people turning up in scuba gear. Later, when I sobbered up, I realised it was stupid, childish and likely to get me banned.

So, don't drink and cache or the Frog may strike :)

It did once cross my mind to place a cache within sight of my place of work, which is not near any water, and give it the scuba attribute, just to watch for people turning up in scuba gear. Later, when I sobbered up, I realised it was stupid, childish and likely to get me banned.

So, don't drink and cache or the Frog may strike :o

Haven't been banned yet!

I like to use the "snowmobiles allowed" attribute, otherwise the attributes I use are pretty much straight forward and accurate.

LOL. I've done a few of your caches in the desert. At least one was 4WD. I even stole a pencil. :lol: On accident, I assure you. :o

My irregular almost monthly sometimes quarterly Any 'Ol Monday event ALWAYS has the watch for cattle icon.

It's held in a TexMex restaurant that has lot's of stuffed bull heads and murals of bullfighting, so I think I'm using it accurately. :angry:

Yep - if they've got a sense of humour.

Nothing in the guidelines about attributes.......and if somebody sees a scuba attribute on a 1/1.5 cache, and knows it's a 1/1.5 cache, I'd have no problem with them turning up in full gear for a park and grab. :laughing::laughing:

I recently used the "cliff nearby" attribute to describe a bad, icy and windy road with cliffs/drop-offs all along it to alert fellow cachers of safety precautions. A bad road attribute would be more fitting, so I suggested that earlier in the day for a new feature request, but at least I am trying to help others' stay safe. So should people use poor fitting attributes? I guess that would depend on the situation.

I recently used the "cliff nearby" attribute to describe a bad, icy and windy road with cliffs/drop-offs all along it to alert fellow cachers of safety precautions. A bad road attribute would be more fitting, so I suggested that earlier in the day for a new feature request, but at least I am trying to help others' stay safe. So should people use poor fitting attributes? I guess that would depend on the situation.

At least twenty of my caches are in areas frequented by bear. (I've finally got Cindy Bear to stop biting on the waypoints for a mystery cache to get the info for the next waypoint!) But there is no Watch for Bear attribute! Best available is the Watch for Livestock. :laughing:

There's a multi near here, in the middle of downtown. It has the "watch for livestock" attribute, even though it's in the middle of downtown.

spoiler alert...

don't page down if you don't really want to see this...

at stage one you have to get some numbers off a statue, and use them to compute the coordinates for stage two. This is a picture of the statue:

vfiles26650.jpg

Well, I laughed when I saw it.

We all should indeed. Didn't you learn from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

"Fetchez la vache!"

"-- quoi?"

"Fetchez la vache!"

"Moooo!"

This, of course, all happened near French castles in England, which may or may not be appropriate in your region.

Did you ever use the attributes as part of a puzzle?