Geocoin dissappearances

Batman1USA

:) where do they all go? I've sadly lost to the evil cache thieves over a third of my traveling geocoins. Sad to see coins drop one day and a cacher find the cache within a week and the coins are gone. Sad to see when a newby grabs a coin I guess and doesn't know what it is or what to do with it then you don't see them actively caching anymore. I can't understand or figure out what happens.

I actually had one coin dissappear as the cache had been trashed and them magically reappeared after 6+ months.

Some show in peoples possesion for like 3 months but they still show caching activity.

:)

I understand it happens to more than just me but I'm upset. As with every hobby there is always some turds that stink it up for everyone.

Some show in peoples possesion for like 3 months but they still show caching activity.

Well, I do have coins and TBs sometimes a long time. My area is littered with micros, where to put a traveller? Also I like to make sure, that the box is relatively secure. I wouldn't trust a traveller in an exposed box, which might be spotted easily by muggles.

It's a sign of the times. Publicity in the media is destroying our hobby. It isn't anymore as it used to be. The new members aren't brought into the sport by other cachers, who would set them straight about the does and don'ts.

Someone reads a newspaper artikel or worse, sees a TV report about caching, thinks great stuff, my mobile phone has a GPSr as well, I'll give it a try.

Well no harm done, but they tend to make the worst mistakes. Telling every muggle they encounter, that they're searching for treasure, not keeping to the simplest stealth tactics.

Is it only me, who sees micro caches in urban areas as a challenge to be as subversive and secretively as possible? Didn't anyone of them ever read any books about agents and spies?

I have about 60 travellers out there and quite a few are gone. If you don't drill a hole in them and attach a laminated info about the mission of the item, the chances of survival in the wild are slim, I'm afraid.

Rule #1: NEVER release anything into the wild that you aren't prepared to lose!

'Tis simply a fact of life. Truly a sorry one, but there are worse.

I do not believe that there will ever be a solution for it. Many are lost due to innocent mistakes, many are lost due to "other" reasons. Take your pick because if your 'coin is lost, you will probably never know why, though it DOES matter, wouldn't you think?

Can only wish you well and hope at least more of them re-appear. :)

huh....unfortunatelly sometimes the coins you have out travelling are from adoptions, winnings from cointest... so you are not the releaser!

I know that this is much different but even when a coin like that gets stollen.... you feel so bad too....:) It is a sad feeling that you didn't had the chance to see the coin and touch it before it was stollen! I had coins like that! I do not know how they looked like! :)

No matter what, it is so sad to see travellers getting lost or stollen! :)

I feel the same for coins that I moved too! Such a sad feeling.... :)

Some things that do not get stolen much and are easily replaced are PROXIES. They do not have near the pull that geocoins or TBs do and some folks adamantly loathe them but they may be the solution to the times.

Batman, sorry for your loss but welcome to the club. If you release coins you will lose a bunch. It's that simple. No smart alecky response is going to help you feel better. This is a learning curve with little joy in it and I only hope you find your own way of dealing with it so you can still enjoy what you get out of geocaching.

:o

Well, I do have coins and TBs sometimes a long time. My area is littered with micros, where to put a traveller? Also I like to make sure, that the box is relatively secure. I wouldn't trust a traveller in an exposed box, which might be spotted easily by muggles.

It's a sign of the times. Publicity in the media is destroying our hobby. It isn't anymore as it used to be. The new members aren't brought into the sport by other cachers, who would set them straight about the does and don'ts.

Someone reads a newspaper artikel or worse, sees a TV report about caching, thinks great stuff, my mobile phone has a GPSr as well, I'll give it a try.

Well no harm done, but they tend to make the worst mistakes. Telling every muggle they encounter, that they're searching for treasure, not keeping to the simplest stealth tactics.

Is it only me, who sees micro caches in urban areas as a challenge to be as subversive and secretively as possible? Didn't anyone of them ever read any books about agents and spies?

I have about 60 travellers out there and quite a few are gone. If you don't drill a hole in them and attach a laminated info about the mission of the item, the chances of survival in the wild are slim, I'm afraid.

I got into this after watching a TV show in November. However, being how I am I immediately researched the hobby. The GC site, Wikipedia any anywhere else I could find info. I think it all depends on the individual. Some people are going to take things more seriously and put forth more effort to do it right than others. It can't be helped.

That said, I've come across a couple of TBs that I'd love to take and move to another cache but since I'm not caching as frequently as I'd like at the moment, I've refrained from doing so as I don't want to hang on to it for more than a few days.

I got into this after watching a TV show in November. However, being how I am I immediately researched the hobby. The GC site, Wikipedia any anywhere else I could find info. I think it all depends on the individual. Some people are going to take things more seriously and put forth more effort to do it right than others. It can't be helped.

That said, I've come across a couple of TBs that I'd love to take and move to another cache but since I'm not caching as frequently as I'd like at the moment, I've refrained from doing so as I don't want to hang on to it for more than a few days.

Of course and we would all hope newbs/not-so-newbs put as much effort into this as you did. And that's the point.... many don't. Any system is only as strong as its weakest link.

If you don't drill a hole in them and attach a laminated info about the mission of the item, the chances of survival in the wild are slim, I'm afraid.

Agreed. I always drill and tag each coin and I'm not sure, but I do think it helps a little bit. I think I lose about 15% (I haven't taken the time to calculate it recently) of my coins but some do seem to reappear after a few months. I also agree with the statement that one should never release a coin or TB that they aren't willing to lose.

FWIW, my coins seem to do better traveling outside of the US.

For those coins that have been missing over a year, I try to figure out a cool proxy to replace it by attaching a laminated copy of the coin to an object (kinda like a TB) then people can still collect the icon if they move it for us.

I have released over 400 coins and TBs. I have a MIA of 15% too, but I don't deface my coins. I have had many coins go missing and show up down the road. I even had one show up 2 YEARS later. I agree, coins seem to do better when they are not in the US. There are many reasons coins and TBs go missing, we can't blame just the newbies. Unfortunately there are people who have been at this for years that just don't have the same ethical standing. I feel your pain. It's always hard to loose a traveler... but like people have said, never release something you are not willing to have go MIA.

I've lost 2 coins and each time it has broken my heart. I knew that it was a possibility that they would disappear, I just didn't anticipate how I would react so emotionally to it. I've been carrying around 2 more to release in my bag for months now and just can't make myself do it. Anyone else go through this?

----------------------------------------------

"I'm not lost. I'm right where I left me!" coastcacher.com | Twitter

----------------------------------------------

Edited by Kryptic

I've "lost" about 20% of my coins to what I think is theft...

I think the most frustrating issue I have had in a little less than two years of caching is having an experienced cacher placew 3-4 of my coins in an event in CA without retrieving them properly (or others who grabbed them and did not retrieve)... and THEN having one of the event organiazers tell me to expect coins to go missing (condescending and patronizing)

cache and learn...

I really enjoy helping other cachers accomplish their goals with coins and TBs

we have a lot of work to do to educate newer cachers

still love our hobby

:laughing:

:laughing:

Edited by Pastor_B

I share you alls frustration! This is not rocket science for folks to move them along! TB"S included. WHy would anyone want some of the stuff I have made into a TB?! It is not expensive or anything like that. SOme people are just jerks and may they reap what they sow. One situation I encountered was I had a TB just out of the reach of its goal. I was informed by the cahce owner that there was a local cacher they suspected of stealing traveleables. He logs a find and then teh traveleables are all gone yet not logged out of the cahces. Long story short I can see very clearly many factors that could lead to a reasonable conclusion that he is stealing them! I believe he is even though no proof. WHY!?

He is just asn a**! thats why! Nothing anyone can do about it but so goes society! It is a shame but I will still participate and relse stuff with best hopes of happy travels.

I am very conscious of where I place traveleables now as well. If I would not release my own there I don't release anyone elses either!

Well almost half of the coins I have released have been geosnatched. Defacing the coins hasn't stopped it. If someone wants that particular coin, apparently they will take it regardless of its condition. I've even had someone release poker chips with the tracking number of the coin they stole so the unknowing would move it away from the scene of the crime.

I had a bad year, lost about 15 personel coins and T/Bs!

I do not mind when they have had a good run, but had a few with 0.00 miles, just did not stand a chaice!

but some times i have coins that run from one end of the world and back,just great for friends who are watch them.

which is great, so all the work i place in the coin pages and some one reads it

just great

Just hope 2010 is a better year

but i now you let them go and yes they are lost but still like looking on google earth where is that place?