Micros Micros Micros

Batman1USA

Just a rant..... I hate Micros on guard rails set for no particular reason other than? just to set a cache? Come on people please give me a break. I don't mind the micro leading me to an historical site, old cemetary out in the middle of Gods great country. Geez but seems like someone in every area of civilization needs to hang a pill bottle or key holder or a goofy nano just for?? I'm trying to understand why? It's like almost impossible to know this until you get to the site then you just go ahead and find it. :)

I like to try to clear out an area but 60% of them are random micros with no purpose or value to show cachers anything. WHY I ask? Nuts i say it's Nuts. I been just downloading mediums but is hard to not clear the micros.

Merry CHRISTMAS ! !

So, I hear you saying that you feel compelled to clear the area, but you also hate micros.

Hrm...

Have you tried medication?

He's not alone. I've met geocachers who do this. Some are friends of mine. They complain about the same kinds of caches that the OP is complaining about, but have a need to keep an X mile radius around their home clear of unfound caches and will hunt caches they find unappealing. One described it as a sickness. Maybe it is, but I don't think there is medication available for it yet.

I am sympathetic to the OP's rant though. In many areas it's difficult to sort through the clutter to find appealing caches.

I like to clear an area to. However I consider placing a cache on my ignore list as part of the clearing process. No way am I going to do caches I don't want to just to clear an area.

Another thing is I don't do puzzles so they go to ignore immediately and I don't feel the least bit bad as I sit here with my two margaritas looking at the mapsource area around me with no caches showing.

Just a rant..... I hate vanilla ice in cake cones served for no particular reason other than? just to serve ice cream? Come on people please give me a break. I don't mind the vanilla served in a artistic bowl, covered with sprinkles out in the middle of Gods great country. Geez but seems like someone in every area of civilization needs to put a scoop in a cake cone or paper cup or a goofy mini scoop just for?? I'm trying to understand why? It's like almost impossible to know this until you get to the store then you just go ahead and eat it. :)

I like to try to eat all the ice cream in the store but 60% of them are random scoops of vanilla with no purpose or value to exand the gastornomic experience of ice cream eaters. WHY I ask? Nuts i say it's Nuts. More nuts on ice cream. I been just eating sundaes and ice cream parfaits but is hard to not eat the cheap cones if they are there. :)

Merry CHRISTMAS ! ! :)

One problem with the OPs rant. Some people like finding micros. Some people even like the park and grab variety that seem to be hidden everywhere. And some people view geocaches like ice cream. It might not all be the best quality but it is still ice cream. Can you telll if a micro is going to be a clever hiding style you haven't seen before, or if you will visit an historic location, old cemetery, or God;'s great country? Well perhaps not always, but often more than you can tell if an ice cream is going to be any good before tasting it. There is a lot of information on the cache page, including what others say in their logs that you can look at before you to to find a cache. So it is usually possible to know before you get to the site. But if you are out and about and happen to pull into a parking lot because the GPS says a cache is there, you do not have to find it anyway. You might decide that since your are there you might as well look, but you have the option to turn around and drive right out of the parking lot and on to the next cache. If you are going to try to keep and area clear of unfound caches, you have basically decided that you are going to eat all the ice cream in the store. And if some of it makes you sick, don't expect any sympathy.

I love to find micros.

But if all that existed were micros, I wouldn't be a cacher.

I would LOVE to do a power trail.

But if all that existed were power trails, I wouldn't be a cacher.

I would LOVE to do a tree climb cache.

But if all that existed were tree climbing caches, I wouldn't be a cacher.

I would LOVE to do a 20 mile hike to a cache.

But if all that existed were 20 mile hike caches, i wouldn't be a cacher.

I LOVED my first nano cache.

But if all that existed were nano caches, i wouldn't be a cacher.

I LOVE ammo cans caches.

But if all that existed were ammo can caches, I would get bored and stop being a cacher.

I LOVED my first evil cache find.

But if all that existed were evil hides, i wouldn't be a cacher.

I LOVE guardrail and lamp post skirt caches

But if all that existed were GR and LPC caches, I wouldn't be a cacher.

I hope you are getting the point.

Edited by bittsen

So, I hear you saying that you feel compelled to clear the area, but you also hate micros.

Hrm...

He's not alone. I've met geocachers who do this. Some are friends of mine. They complain about the same kinds of caches that the OP is complaining about, but have a need to keep an X mile radius around their home clear of unfound caches and will hunt caches they find unappealing. One described it as a sickness. Maybe it is, but I don't think there is medication available for it yet.

I am sympathetic to the OP's rant though. In many areas it's difficult to sort through the clutter to find appealing caches.

There is medication for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I love to find micros.

But if all that existed were micros, I wouldn't be a cacher.

I would LOVE to do a power trail.

But if all that existed were power trails, I wouldn't be a cacher.

I would LOVE to do a tree climb cache.

But if all that existed were tree climbing caches, I wouldn't be a cacher.

I would LOVE to do a 20 mile hike to a cache.

But if all that existed were 20 mile hike caches, i wouldn't be a cacher.

I LOVED my first nano cache.

But if all that existed were nano caches, i wouldn't be a cacher.

I LOVE ammo cans caches.

But if all that existed were ammo can caches, I would get bored and stop being a cacher.

I LOVED my first evil cache find.

But if all that existed were evil hides, i wouldn't be a cacher.

I LOVE guardrail and lamp post skirt caches

But if all that existed were GR and LPC caches, I wouldn't be a cacher.

I hope you are getting the point.

You can't possibly be talking about geocaching, whatever you are describing above sounds like way too much fun for a serious competitive angst-ridden sport! :)

did that just happen? Okay out of curiosity, i clicked the CO's profile then clicked his caches, randomly picked one and gues what it is. A micro in the middle of no where for no particular reason (Or to give truck drivers something to do) . GC1GMJT we're here cause we like finding stuff( big stuff little stuff random stuff)... and lucky for me i'll be in his neighborhood next week so maybe ill find some of his hides... GAME ON

I LOVE ammo cans caches.

... this sounds like a great idea to me .... how do you fit them under lightposts again. i lost that picture

this would be the perfect world but i think they would stand out magnet-ted to the bottom of a guard rail

Just a rant..... I hate Micros on guard rails set for no particular reason other than? just to set a cache? Come on people please give me a break. I don't mind the micro leading me to an historical site, old cemetary out in the middle of Gods great country. Geez but seems like someone in every area of civilization needs to hang a pill bottle or key holder or a goofy nano just for?? I'm trying to understand why? It's like almost impossible to know this until you get to the site then you just go ahead and find it. :)

I like to try to clear out an area but 60% of them are random micros with no purpose or value to show cachers anything. WHY I ask? Nuts i say it's Nuts. I been just downloading mediums but is hard to not clear the micros.

Merry CHRISTMAS ! !

Well I can't speak for those guard rails but I have it on good authority that the placers of the micros under bus stop benches have a vested interest in the next election for "Palm Reader of the Decade." :)B):)

That, or they are busy inventing and testing the soon to be released 'Home Urinalysis Kit'. :)

Edited by Team Cotati
did that just happen? Okay out of curiosity, i clicked the CO's profile then clicked his caches, randomly picked one and gues what it is. A micro in the middle of no where for no particular reason (Or to give truck drivers something to do) .

He's also a Premium Member, and Premium Membership comes with a convenient little button you can push that makes all the micros go away.

Some things will never change. Most cachers take charge of their own entertainment in this amateur-powered hobby, but there will always be some who prefer to whine while standing right next to the Happiness Switch.

Hrm...

There is medication for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
...and just to be perfectly fair and open, I've been told (mostly by my wife, who just shakes her head when I tell her about caching expeditions) that I should try some.

:)

I hear what the OP is saying. I feel it. But there's nothing to be done about it, 'cept hide what you like to find & hope others catch on.

Sounds like the OP isn't hiding what he likes to find. Maybe try that before the meds?

Edited by Too Tall John

It's some sort of OCD related to maps. I confess to having a similar compulsion. I turn off "My Finds" and "My Caches", and view anything that remains as a blemish on my map. A pimple, if you will, that screams out to be squeezed. Tried Clearasil on the screen, and you're right. Not even that medication helps. Just messes up the screen.

Some of the micros are great - well crafted and well hidden - so filtering out all of those would be a mistake. Some of them are a lot more of a challenge to find than an ammo can under a pile of sticks, but they all are treated as equal in the world of icons and all have to be erased from the collection of "Not Found" icons on the map. Although certain cachers are predictable in their hides, you never know what someone might have left out there that could provide some real entertainment value.

So that radius has to be cleared, blemishes removed from the map. Like real acne vulgaris, regular washing is the only real solution.

Hrm...

This is correct. I know and/or know of, dozens of people who profess to dislike "lame micros", but you'll see them logging a smiley for every single one of them. Perhaps this is why they all have more finds then me. Ignoring caches I don't like has never been a problem for me. We got the ignore list feature in February 2005, and I was even self-ignoring a handful of caches before then, including an Off Your Rocker micro.

Then again, it's probably just those meds I'm on. :o

He's also a Premium Member, and Premium Membership comes with a convenient little button you can push that makes all the micros go away.

Some things will never change. Most cachers take charge of their own entertainment in this amateur-powered hobby, but there will always be some who prefer to whine while standing right next to the Happiness Switch.

I have to remember this saying! I love it!

Clearing out an area is like digging a hole in sand. It's better to use the ignore button and maybe someday they'll even enhance the ignore feature...

As a new cacher I don't get the idea of cleaning out an area either.From my perspective I'm in a more

enviable position because I'm still cache rich,at least in terms of reasonable travel times etc.

I definitely wish I could have gotten out more then I have,but if the day ever comes where my area is

cleaned up it'll just mean my caching gets more inconvenient.Just my perspective.

As a new cacher I don't get the idea of cleaning out an area either.From my perspective I'm in a more

enviable position because I'm still cache rich,at least in terms of reasonable travel times etc.

I definitely wish I could have gotten out more then I have,but if the day ever comes where my area is

cleaned up it'll just mean my caching gets more inconvenient.Just my perspective.

The operative words there are "new cacher". Eventually, you will find that you're clearing out a radius from around your "home base", and when you discover that's what you've done, you'll find yourself keeping it that way. Even those that filter micros as evil do the same thing, they just select different targets to clear. We'll all take something new and nearby if it fits.

Out here, there are plenty of other heavy target environments not all that far away, so it's not like I'll ever run out of things to do if I feel like spending an afternoon "out caching". Meanwhile, if they pop up around here -- zap!

The operative words there are "new cacher". Eventually, you will find that you're clearing out a radius from around your "home base", and when you discover that's what you've done, you'll find yourself keeping it that way. Even those that filter micros as evil do the same thing, they just select different targets to clear. We'll all take something new and nearby if it fits.

Out here, there are plenty of other heavy target environments not all that far away, so it's not like I'll ever run out of things to do if I feel like spending an afternoon "out caching". Meanwhile, if they pop up around here -- zap!

I've been doing this for seven years and I don't do that. If it looks like a blah cache, then I ignore it.

Clearing out an area is like digging a hole in sand. It's better to use the ignore button and maybe someday they'll even enhance the ignore feature...

Its NOT CLEANING Its CLEARING. We DON'T CLEAN caches out of an area, we CLEAR them off of our list within a certain radius. To clean out would mean to get rid of and thats not up to us.

I'm with you man!

Some will say: how dare you challenge the established system!

And I say: let's make the system better! there are so many caches now, it's time to focus on quality instead of quantity. A micro with a log isn't even a cache. The word "cache" implies there is stuff there. :o

This old cacher hasnt cleared out her neighborhood. There are some within a mile of me I just havent gotten around to. Some of them I am eager to find too lol. I would much rather go look for interesting ones in another area than waste time clearing out my neighborhood of every single cache. Thats far too task oriented for me to enjoy.

I absolutely love hunting for micros that are creative, challenging, and brings me to an interesting location. I also hate hunting for micros that have been placed without a purpose, or thought put behind it. “Hey look! It’s a random bush next to a Wal-Mart! Let’s put a geocache there.”

My issue is, when I am traveling to a new town, it is hard to guess if a micro is placed in an awe inspiring location, or just tossed into some random weeds until I actually get on scene. :o

I do not want to ignore ALL micros. I just want to magically ignore the worthless ones. :angry:

It is my experience that micros are, by far, the most popular conrainer that cachers WANT to look for.

My data is from my own experiments.

I have Micro, Small, and Regular sized caches in the field right now.

My micros were all found withina couple hours. Each one has more finds than my small or regular sized caches.

My small cache has had more finds than my regular caches but the FTF didn't come until a day after publication.

My regular caches have the fewest finds and the FTF can take days. The shortest amount of time on one of my regular sized caches was about 16 hours.

So, it's clear that if I want people to find my caches, I must place micros.

I absolutely love hunting for micros ammo cans that are creative, challenging, and brings me to an interesting location. I also hate hunting for micros ammo cans that have been placed without a purpose, or thought put behind it. “Hey look! It’s a random bush next to a Wal-Mart! Let’s put a geocache there.”

My issue is, when I am traveling to a new town, it is hard to guess if a micro ammo can is placed in an awe inspiring location, or just tossed into some random weeds until I actually get on scene. :o

I do not want to ignore ALL micros ammo cans. I just want to magically ignore the worthless ones. :lol:

There, fixed it for ya! :angry:
I'm with you man!

And I say: let's make the system better! there are so many caches now, it's time to focus on quality instead of quantity. A micro with a log isn't even a cache. The word "cache" implies there is stuff there. :o

You're right. I think urban caches should be banned. 99% of them don't even have the proper permission of the business that owns the parking lot or the city that owns the park or the street corner. And you can't leave a decent sized cache without arousing suspicion (or worse) in most of what pass for urban areas. Seems they're finding a new one to blow up every few weeks.

Stick to caches that require getting out of town and walking a mile or three, preferably off a road that can only be accessed by a 4WD vehicle with lockers. That's how it all started, right? Why are we wandering from the ideal?

OK - now that we have that dealt with...

The ammo can under a pile of sticks that requires a bad-a** geomobile, good chance of getting high centered on rocks on a cliff side, and a 4 mile hike into the site with at least a 3.0 terrain is not necessarily everyone's idea of a good time. I know that for certain cachers, leaving out any one of those elements makes a cache less interesting. They're more 4 wheeling enthusiasts with a caching sideline. No problem with that. I like that kind of entertainment, too -- but not to the exclusion of all else. In fact, apart from the ride to get there, which not everyone can manage, the actual hides in such locations can be a crashing bore -- just like a lampskirt cache. Doesn't matter if its ammo cans or 35mm cans. The majority of both types of hides show absolutely no imagination at all in their construction, location or anything else.

As for micros ... Caches in more readily accessed areas are -- well, more readily accessed. As a consequence, it is often necessary to be much more creative in putting together a worthwhile hide in such places, and by nature, they tend to be smaller in order to be kept out of view of the general public. While I've run across a few truly good "Regular" hides in urban/suburban areas (an example is Ace's Pirate Treasure), they are by their very nature few and far between.

The cache types that take a person's interest are variable, but I swear, the majority of those that the "purists" think fit the original mold don't come close to making me chuckle the way the best of the urban micros do if for no other reason than the amount of thought that must go into some of them to hide them more or less "in plain sight". I'm amazed that after finding 1300 of the micro things out of 2000-some-odd caches, I still run across micros in some configuration or another that I haven't already seen -- to the extent that I still wind up DNFing them now and again because they've been done so well. True, by percent, those are the exception. It's also true that it's been quite some time since I found a 7.62 can or DCon cache "out in the sticks" of Colorado that showed any real imagination.

Like a lot of cachers, and while I enjoy them, I'm interested not just in a ride in the country, but wish also to see some creative work or locations by others in the more immediate area. I don't often prejudge caches - even the cacher with an inordinate number of LPC hides will surprise me now and again.

I certainly don't filter out all micros as some of you do. That would have eliminated many of the most creative caches I've run across, and would have denied me more than one serendipitous opportunity to discover something I'd never known was in my own back yard. There's a cache that in itself is as lame as they come. It's a mag Altoids micro hidden where there just aren't ANY other places for it to be. However, it's placed over a small valley that I never realized existed just a couple miles from home, and it's the site of the conflict that started the lawsuit that established the entire legal concept of common law water rights as we now know them in the U.S. -- and as water becomes an even more valuable resource to western states in the future, an even bigger issue. Not even the owner of the Sandstone Overlook cache took the time in his description to identify what had actually happened at this site, although the signage on site explains it in reasonable detail (Yunker vs. Nichols, 1872). At a glance, I'd bet a fair number of the anti-micro crowd would have blown this one off as uninteresting based upon the uninspiring cache page and missed a real gem of history. Wow. Buncha idjits over a hundred years ago didn't know they were arguing over what happens when I turn on the tap in my house today. Amazing.

Just a rant..... I hate Micros on guard rails set for no particular reason other than? just to set a cache? Come on people please give me a break. I don't mind the micro leading me to an historical site, old cemetary out in the middle of Gods great country. Geez but seems like someone in every area of civilization needs to hang a pill bottle or key holder or a goofy nano just for?? I'm trying to understand why? It's like almost impossible to know this until you get to the site then you just go ahead and find it. :o

Merry CHRISTMAS ! !

Well I can't speak for those guard rails but I have it on good authority that the placers of the micros under bus stop benches have a vested interest in the next election for "Palm Reader of the Decade." :angry::lol::lol:

That, or they are busy inventing and testing the soon to be released 'Home Urinalysis Kit'. :lol:

Can't do those here. our bus stop benches have honeycombed holes[probably so cachers can't hide micros under them.

I like to clear an area to. However I consider placing a cache on my ignore list as part of the clearing process. No way am I going to do caches I don't want to just to clear an area.

Another thing is I don't do puzzles so they go to ignore immediately and I don't feel the least bit bad as I sit here with my two margaritas looking at the mapsource area around me with no caches showing.

I don't understand how that works. Could I take the bar exam, ignore questions for which I don't know the answer then claim that I passed the bar exam because I answered every question correctly?

I have cleared most of the caches in my area but it's not out of a need to clear a certain radius. Except for an occasional weekend, or if I've taken a day off of work, the amount of time I might have free to go look for a cache might be no more than an hour. That limits how far I can go to search for caches. I'm at the point now that there are no caches for me to find in the amount of free time I have during the week. That's pretty much been the case for awhile as there have only been 4 new caches placed withing 20 miles of where I live in the past two months. As a result, I haven't found a cache in a month and a half.

Just a rant..... I hate Micros on guard rails set for no particular reason other than? just to set a cache? Come on people please give me a break. I don't mind the micro leading me to an historical site, old cemetary out in the middle of Gods great country. Geez but seems like someone in every area of civilization needs to hang a pill bottle or key holder or a goofy nano just for?? I'm trying to understand why? It's like almost impossible to know this until you get to the site then you just go ahead and find it. ;)

I like to try to clear out an area but 60% of them are random micros with no purpose or value to show cachers anything. WHY I ask? Nuts i say it's Nuts. I beenjust downloading mediums but is hard to not clear the micros.

Merry CHRISTMAS ! !

Thank you for posting your entitlement thread for my daily selfish smug superior feeling. :)

My I suggest some further reading?

To summarize our "Geocaching Tree of Angst" so far:

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :o

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :D

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :lol:

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. :lol:

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :lol:

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :lol:

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :)

The named branches of our tree so far:

The Theory of Geocaching Evolution

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :lol::angry:

Perceived Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame (P.S.D.E.P.L.)

Geocaching was so much better way back when

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

The Theory of Keeping with The Highly Subjective "Spirit of Geocaching"

Edited by Snoogans

It's like almost impossible to know this until you get to the site

Google satellite view always works for me. Sometimes the elevations or terrain are a surprise when I get there, but my satisfaction that I KNOW what and where I'm hunting is always guranteed. :o

Merry Christmas to you too. :angry:

Edited by Snoogans

I'm with you man!

I agree. Keep the "cache" in geocaching.

The game has changed.........what used to be 80%+ of a nice walk to a full size cache has become 80%+ of P & G micros ( or C & D as the say up north :o ).

Its WAY past time to alter cache descriptions.....don't say everything is subjective because it can be done.

Example of descriptions :

A. At least a .1 mile walk to a full size cache.

B. P & G Micro ( C & D )....numbers only

C. P & G Regular....numbers only

D. P & G Micro.......scenic or historic setting

etc. , etc.

The above rating system , or one like it, could help us get more from the game........just don't say it can't be done.

I'm with you man!

And I say: let's make the system better! there are so many caches now, it's time to focus on quality instead of quantity. A micro with a log isn't even a cache. The word "cache" implies there is stuff there. :lol:

I agree. Keep the "cache" in geocaching.

*Newsflash*

Terracaching.com claims to have a focus on quality over quantity. Head on over. You'll be back. :o

I choose definition b for cache:

b. A place for concealment and safekeeping, as of valuables.

Is the log book not the MOST VALUABLE item in all of geocaching? :lol::lol:

Check and mate. :angry::lol::lol:

Just a rant..... I hate Micros on guard rails set for no particular reason other than? just to set a cache? Come on people please give me a break. I don't mind the micro leading me to an historical site, old cemetary out in the middle of Gods great country. Geez but seems like someone in every area of civilization needs to hang a pill bottle or key holder or a goofy nano just for?? I'm trying to understand why? It's like almost impossible to know this until you get to the site then you just go ahead and find it. :o

Merry CHRISTMAS ! !

ROTFL.... I love each and every one of ya for you comments and suggestions.

Oh Yes, maybe I wasn't clear, I am guilty of a few of these micros in my area and however GC1GMJT is not a random micro, it is in fact a smallish bottle that has housed a trackable or two in it's short life and is easily accessable to our truck driving working group pulling those large loads across God's country.

Another useless micro I did set was just to entertain by new caching brother. :0)

I only use the premium membership just to get coords to ALL the caches. I didn't realize there was and ignore micro button. Good suggestion.

Meds? yes I have meds, it's callec findthemallOTC. Climb a tree, sure, kayake the royal gorge, sure. Impossible to find them all? With GOD nothing is impossible.

Hey if you coming into the great state of Oklahoma give me a shout I'd love to cache with you. We'll hunt micros and ammo cans and invisible caches you can only see with special inspector gaget glasses. Whether I like them or not, have or haven't set them. THERE'S STILL TO MANY OF THEM "Saturation" I think is the term.

Enjoy my "Ammo Can Trio" the name says it all, a multi of AMMO CANS.

GOD BLESS the USA and Geocachers

Merry CHRISTMAS to all