DeLorme PN-40 driver problem

I got an Earthmate PN-40 for Christmas and when I tried to connect to the laptop Windows 7 said NO! Where do I find a driver for Windows 7 64 bit operating system or do I need to return it for a refund?

John

The PN-40 requires no special driver.

There have been some connectivity problems usually resulting from faulty cables.

I would try all the USB ports on your laptop and check for connectivity.

Also, I suggest that you take the SD card out of the PN and use a card reader:

SDHC card reader:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6858

Now, you have the standard, generic card in a standard, generic reader and no specific driver is required.

Then take one of the four DVDs with the Region maps on it to install the region maps of your area onto the SD card.

The DVDs each have an embedded installed which should boot up and guide you through the process.

Re-install the card in your PN-40 and you should be good to go.

However, you do want to resolve the laptop to PN connectivity issue.

Good luck and check back here or at the DeLorme forum.

For more help, post again at the DeLorme forum:

Great help at the DeLorme Fourm:

http://forum.delorme.com/

For more reference:

Check these for getting started:

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/Getting+Started

Also:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Map+Layering

I got an Earthmate PN-40 for Christmas and when I tried to connect to the laptop Windows 7 said NO! Where do I find a driver for Windows 7 64 bit operating system or do I need to return it for a refund?

John

The PN-40 requires no special driver.

There have been some connectivity problems usually resulting from faulty cables.

I would try all the USB ports on your laptop and check for connectivity.

Also, I suggest that you take the SD card out of the PN and use a card reader:

SDHC card reader:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6858

Now, you have the standard, generic card in a standard, generic reader and no specific driver is required.

Then take one of the four DVDs with the Region maps on it to install the region maps of your area onto the SD card.

The DVDs each have an embedded installed which should boot up and guide you through the process.

Re-install the card in your PN-40 and you should be good to go.

However, you do want to resolve the laptop to PN connectivity issue.

Good luck and check back here or at the DeLorme forum.

For more help, post again at the DeLorme forum:

Great help at the DeLorme Fourm:

http://forum.delorme.com/

For more reference:

Check these for getting started:

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/Getting+Started

Also:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Map+Layering

I have a card reader and installed the maps already. Unless there is a way to load waypoints to the card I am stalled out since I am unable to get the computer to recognize the GPSr when it is plugged in. Tried on 2 different computers (1 with Vista & 1 with Windows 7) and neither would recognize the GPSr.

When I plug it in the computer tries to install the drivers and fails, so the unit cannot be accessed.

John

John, there is what might currently be considered a workaround. By spring it should be directly supported by DeLorme, but currently they released a 2.7 firmware for their XMap product that allows Topo8 to export waypoint gpx files directly to the SD card. (Some details here) You will find this will allow you to carry a lot of benchmark data.

However, you ought to be able to use the cable for direct communication. Aside from trying multiple ports and computers, I'd suggest a phone call to the good folks in Maine on Monday.

One other idea that may not have more than diagnostic value: put the PN-40 into Map Transfer mode (either internal or SD card) to see if it will connect as an external drive. If that doesn't work, I suspect the cable. Check the pins in the connector to make sure they are all protruding, clean the GPS contacts with a pencil eraser.

Several, things here, none of which disagree with Embra's advice.

Cable: That the PN-40 is recognized in the Map Transfer mode, tends to verify cable integrity.

Internal storage: Can't speak to W7, but internal storage is not recognized by XP when PN-40 is set to the Data Exchange mode. The Data Exchange mode must be used to transfer waypoints to internal via Topo USA 8.0.

New firmware 2.7: I use this and am lovin' it. With it, I can transfer a group of waypoints, collected as a Waypoint Layer, to the external storage, SD card (with the card in a reader or in the PN with PN set to Map Transfer). Furthermore, this group may be a collection of standard waypoints, geocache waypoints (from a Pocket Query), or benchmark waypoints. However, the Waypoint Layer, or collection, must be transferred to a folder on the SD card named GPX and in the format of a GPX file.

GPX files: There are three ways in which GPX files may be created and transferred: Topo USA 8.0. GSAK and DeLorme's Cache Register Widget.

Topo USA 8.0: This is my method for exporting waypoints, both cache and non-cache, to my SD card. Under the Draw tab, I use the Import button to import the Pocket Query results and then using the Export button I save cache waypoints to the SD card. Similarly, I save Waypoint Layers with non-cache waypoints. When connecting in the Data Exchange mode with XP, I do not hear the Ka-Ching as when I connect other USB devices. (I do hear it when connecting in the Map Transfer mode, however.) Neverthless, when connected in the Map Transfer mode, Topo 8 will recognize is spite of the lack of the Ka-Ching.

GSAK: I haven't used this, but Embra and others have and can advise.

Cache Register: This is a separate download from DeLorme, $10. I've used it to very conveniently upload Pocket Query generated cache waypoints to the internal storage on my PN-40. It does not save them to the external card. That can be done with 2.7 installed by exercising the PN menu to resave in the SD card.

...Cable: That the PN-40 is recognized in the Map Transfer mode, tends to verify cable integrity....

Actually, when I had connection issues early on, I had no problem with map transfer mode. I only had communication problems in data exchange mode. A new cable solved the problem. I know it sounds strange but USB 2.0 can be strange.

...Cable: That the PN-40 is recognized in the Map Transfer mode, tends to verify cable integrity....

Actually, when I had connection issues early on, I had no problem with map transfer mode. I only had communication problems in data exchange mode. A new cable solved the problem. I know it sounds strange but USB 2.0 can be strange.

I accept that, Pax, it might work in the Map Transfer mode and not the Data Exchange mode.

What is not mentioned is an attempt to connect in the Data Exchange mode using Topo 8.

If it cannot me recognized in that fashion, I would advise to get a new cable.

And, as TL notes: "What was the exact message?"

John

What exactly was the error message?

When I first plugged in the GPSr the balloon comes up and it says - installing device drivers. Then a new balloon pops up and - installing drivers failed. The computer does not recognize the device and nothing shows when I go to 'My computer', the device is not there. When I plug it in now nothing happens, no ballons, no nothing.

I tried using Topo 7 and Topo 8 and neither recognizes the GPSr.

I will try downloading the upgrade to see if that helps.

will report back later.

John

When you plug in the GPS did you click on the GPS prompt to either go in Data Exchange or to do a Map Transfer? If the Map Transfer, you then need to select the Internal memory or the SD card. This prompt again, is on the GPS screen, not the PC screen.

When I click on 'connect to computer' on the GPSr I get 4 options. 'Data exchange' does nothing, but the other 3 open the external hard drive in my computer. The 3 options are 'Transfer to SD Card', 'Transfer to Internal', and 'Firmware Transfer'.

John

When I first plugged in the GPSr the balloon comes up and it says - installing device drivers. Then a new balloon pops up and - installing drivers failed. The computer does not recognize the device and nothing shows when I go to 'My computer', the device is not there. When I plug it in now nothing happens, no ballons, no nothing.

I tried using Topo 7 and Topo 8 and neither recognizes the GPSr.

I will try downloading the upgrade to see if that helps.

will report back later.

John

When I am connected in the Data Exchange mode, I see nothing in the My Computer pane.

However, in the Data Exchange mode, I do see it in Topo 8 after clicking the "Handheld Export" tab and then the "Exchange" button clicked (visible in the right hand pane of the exchange dialog).

OTOH, when I am connected in the Map Transfer mode, I do see it visible as a drive in the My Computer pane.

Additionally, in the Map Transfer mode, I also see it in Topo 8 after clicking the "Handheld Export" tab and then the "Exchange" button clicked (visible in the right hand pane of the exchange dialog).

Consequently, if you cannot see it in Topo 8, or 7, Exchange dialog window, in both modes,

it may be a bad cable and I suggest that you call DeLorme.

If they can't talk you through it, they will send another.

When you plug in the GPS did you click on the GPS prompt to either go in Data Exchange or to do a Map Transfer? If the Map Transfer, you then need to select the Internal memory or the SD card. This prompt again, is on the GPS screen, not the PC screen.

When I click on 'connect to computer' on the GPSr I get 4 options. 'Data exchange' does nothing, but the other 3 open the external hard drive in my computer. The 3 options are 'Transfer to SD Card', 'Transfer to Internal', and 'Firmware Transfer'.

John

It sounds like you're getting expected behavior. In the Data Exchange mode, you are now prepared to interface with the Topo and the GPS is accessed through the Handheld Export tab. Your computer won't be able to directly access the GPS in this mode and this is probably what is confusing it thinking it needs drivers.

Check to see if the GPS can exchange waypoints via Topo through the Handheld export. If it can, all is well and you can ignore the alert when in this mode.

When in Map Transfer mode, your GPS will look and act like an external hard drive (or SD card). Topo will not be able to see the GPS when in this mode. This is for transferring map and GPX files to the SD or internal memory which is much quicker than through the Topo interface.

I use the Topo interface for transfering waypoints, tracks and routes.

I use the external drive mode when transferring GPX and map files.

Edited by TotemLake

I cannot get Topo 8 to send waypoints to the GPSr. The exchange dialog box show the PN-40 in the dropdown box, but nothing happens when I try to send waypoints.

From the 'draw' tab I select the waypoints to download and then right click to 'manage draw', but the option to send to GPSr is not there. From the 'Handheld Export' tab I don't see anywhere to list the 'waypoints' to send to the GPSr.

The GPSr is set to 'data exchange'.

John

It sounds like you're familiar with TOPO so if this sounds obvious forgive me.

Once you've loaded your waypoints to TOPO, you should be able to go directly to the exchange dialog box (PN-40 icon on the top tool bar) and see the waypoints listed on the left side. Highlight the waypoints and the send button should become active. Is that much working?

I cannot get Topo 8 to send waypoints to the GPSr. The exchange dialog box show the PN-40 in the dropdown box, but nothing happens when I try to send waypoints.

From the 'draw' tab I select the waypoints to download and then right click to 'manage draw', but the option to send to GPSr is not there. From the 'Handheld Export' tab I don't see anywhere to list the 'waypoints' to send to the GPSr.

The GPSr is set to 'data exchange'.

John

In the Handheld Export (I called it Exchange) you will have clicked the Exchange and you should have seen a split window. The left side represents the Topo inventory, the right side represents the PN inventory.

If you click the + to expand the waypoints on the Topo side, you should see the same named group of waypoints as you do on your Draw section. Highlight this, then click Send to GPS. You should see a dialog box indicating a transfer and your GPS will indicate it is downloading waypoints. I

f this isn't happening then you are having a communication issue. Issues can be the cable is bad to the USB port not communicating properly. You might have to use a different USB port to make it work right. If you tried all of your ports and still cannot get a comm to work, then my next recommendation will be to call Customer Support in the morning and have them help. The hold times are typically short and you get a live body right away.

That screen shot leads me to believe your cable is fine. My (and some others) previous experience with the bad cable would be that while transfering a batch of, say 300 caches, the transfer would bog down after a small number had gotten over then the program would lock up and crash. It doesn't look like you're having that problem. This may be a problem with a corrupt file.

Also, the fact that the additional waypoints are'nt showing on the left makes it look like a TOPO isue and not a PN-40 issue.

Edited by Pax42

Ok, now that I've paid more attention to your screen shot, I see that all of the items that aren't showing up in the exchange box are actually draw layers rather than waypoints. I don't have as much experience working with draw layers but I'm sure the issue is related to that. Hopefully TL or Cowboy can pop back in and offer up advice.

Here is a screenshot showing the Exchange dialog box. Note that only 2 of the draw layers can be exported to the GPSr. The 2 layers that are allowed did transfer properly. Would this be an indicator of a bad USB cable or a program problem?

John

No, everything looks fine, no cable, driver or program problems.

Now, it appears that other Waypoint Layers are not appearing in the left pane.

As I infer from above, you have two showing and you can Send them,

but you are missing others in the left pane.

Assuming that is your situation,

go back to the Draw tab,

click on the File.... button to bring up the listing of the Waypoint Layers known to that active Project, Coconino County Arizona.

Now, using Windows Explorer, find the folder ...\DeLorme Docs\Draw and open that,

you should see all your Waypoint Layers with a ".an1" suffix such as "sinkholes1.an1".

Left click on one of those and drag it over the Topo 8 map and release it.

It should then show up in the list below the map pane and is now active.

Now go back to the Handheld Export tab, Exchange button and it should up in the left pane and ready to Send.

Hey, that is the area where I have waypoint that I was going to send you.

Nipple Bench - Grand Staircase NE of Big Water and Kanab Point. :o

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I think the Draw layers and Waypoint layers are getting confused. The Waypoint layers actually transferred fine so this is expected behavior.

The Draw layers transfer via this method as Saved Map Packages.

These Draw layers have to be part of the Options selected, then cut and prepared for the PN. Then you will be able to export that

Closing this exchange window; check the boxes of the draw layers you are interested in.

Now click on the Handheld Export tab, you will see a button on the left to Select/Edit. On the right, there is Options. Clicking on the Options allows you to choose the mapsets you want to select to export to your PN. Make sure to select the Draw option and the zoom levels you want it to e visible on in the PN.

Be sure you are at zoom 11 on the map, and then click the Select/Edit button. Select a small number of tiles which include some of the draw features on display on the map. Name it and save it. Depending upon the size area you selected this could take some time.

Once this is saved, open the Exchange dialog again and you will now see the Saved Map Packages is expandable and you should see the map set ready to transfer. Depending on how large this is, it will take time to transfer it via the Exchange mode, so you will want to set your GPS to Map transfer mode and copy the map set to the SD card.

The location of these mapsets is \Delorme Docs\Mobile Maps. You will notice there will be one or more map sets with the name you saved as dependent upon how many options you chose and actually had loaded on the Topo. In my case, I have options for Draw, CDOQQ and USGS, sometimes included Hi-Res depending upon the area I'm cutting. So I may have 3 or 4 files starting with the same name.

The screenshot is helpful. As I preview my post I see TL beat me to a response, but I'll go ahead and include mine for the picture. I'm always reassured when he seems to be thinking the same track as I. (Edit: eh, I missed a bunch)

It looks to me like things are working as designed...the two waypoint layers show up for exchange, but the draw layers don't. The draw layers must transfer as layers in one or more map packages (All draw layers in a selected area can be included if "Draw layers" is toggled for inclusion under the Options window from the Handheld Export tab when cutting a map package).

4201681533_1e7fc23593_o.png

Edited by embra

I'll add another heads-up on a problem you may run into trying to include draw layers in map cuts. Due to legacy database issues in Topo8, you might find that you keep getting some sort of message when you try to create your map package that you are including too large an area. If you are cutting a smallish area or a limited number of zoom levels, you might not get the error message. If you get it, I think I can direct you to some discussion on the issue.

What kind of data are you including in those draw layers...POIs?

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

I figured out how to create the waypoint layers without having to add each benchmark individually to the layer.

I created a new waypoint layer (which had zero points in it) and then copied all the benchmarks from a draw layer and moved them to the new waypoint layer.

Now I need to start cutting maps to be transferred to the GPSr.

The driver issue was a red herring! (Thankfully)

Thanks again for all your help.

I checked the accuracy of the PN-40 yesterday by going to a benchmark with adjusted coordinates and the PN outdid the Magellan Meridian! It read 3 feet to go and the Meridian read 5 feet to go. :o

I think I'm going to like this GPSr once I get used to how it does things.

John

Excellent!

Roger that! :angry:

Ok, I was going to hold off on Pax's last question for a while so as not to confuse this further.

However, there has been success to this issue, so I'll go ahead.

Yes, one can select, cut and save for exchange a draw layer as shown in Embra's graphic above.

If this draw layer had waypoints shown on it, then they would go graphically with the Draw Layer.

Then on the PN-40 one would see them superimposed over the map.

However, one would not be able to "click" to open them up and bring up the associated information such as coords, elevation, etc. They reside strictly as a graphic.

However, when waypoints are exchanged as constituents to a Waypoint Layer (as opposed to a Draw Layer),

as John has just accomplished, then although the still appear superimposed on the map,

they can now be clicked to select and then opened with the Menu button to access the information that they carry.

Oh yeah, John, cutting and saving maps for exchange can take a lot of PC time for a large map.

It is very disconcerting when it doesn't work at first when you've spent and waited so much.

Therefore, I usually recommend working with small 2 x 2 grid selections unitl you get your first success.

Over and out for the night. :o

Edited by Team CowboyPapa