My first hide - Hoping my puzzle isn't too bad.

Nightshade13

My first hide was published yesterday morning (hidden a couple of days before that but had to rectify some minor guidelines issues relating to the dummy coords). I wanted to create something that was of greater difficulty than many of the LPCs and P&Gs I see around here (understandable since heavily populated area leaves little room for more complex caches).

This cache has a puzzle component as well as being pretty well-camoed at GZ in my opinion. No watchers or attempts yet on the geocheck (other than my own test check), though admittedly it's only been a day and a half or so since published. As this is my first hide, I'm not sure what to expect as far as when I can expect people to start attempting this one. I also wonder if maybe my puzzle is harder than I thought - puzzle answers seem very easy, of course, when you're the one that created them.

Here is the link to my cache and I welcome any input or suggestions: Sunset Hideaway

Of course, please no solutions or spoilers to the cache on the forums.

Thanks!

Nightshade13

Edited by Nightshade13

Dont worry about geocachers not finding it right away. Caches can sit unlogged in Kentucky for a few weeks and Im sure its like that in other states :) .

Keep it tough :) .

Looks like fun :) !

My first hide was published yesterday morning (hidden a couple of days before that but had to rectify some minor guidelines issues relating to the dummy coords). I wanted to create something that was of greater difficulty than many of the LPCs and P&Gs I see around here (understandable since heavily populated area leaves little room for more complex caches).

This cache has a puzzle component as well as being pretty well-camoed at GZ in my opinion. No watchers or attempts yet on the geocheck (other than my own test check), though admittedly it's only been a day and a half or so since published. As this is my first hide, I'm not sure what to expect as far as when I can expect people to start attempting this one. I also wonder if maybe my puzzle is harder than I thought - puzzle answers seem very easy, of course, when you're the one that created them.

Here is the link to my cache and I welcome any input or suggestions: Sunset Hideaway

Of course, please no solutions or spoilers to the cache on the forums.

Thanks!

Nightshade13

I have one that I thought rather simple that took three months for an FTF. 247 wrong guesses, 1 correct guess, 11 people watching. A lot more than that cursing me! Hee hee hee.

Heh heh heh. You are exposed! I knew there were some out there who get a sick pleasure out of skunking others.

:)

(this was a post of humor and not antagonism or disrespect)

Not sure of your area but in mine I am in the land of FTF hounds. The puzzle caches always take longer for people to get to. Add to that is that it published on a Friday nearing Christmas. People will already have their plans for the weekend (including Friday Night) including holiday parties and shopping. Also, your checking out of the puzzle now shows their is one person that has figured out the puzzle. A FTF hound might not even try figuring that they won't be FTF anyway. You know you can go to geocheck.com, login, and clear your trial run of the coordinate check. That way the cache will show that know one has figured out the puzzle and used the checker yet. I am not advocating clearing it if in fact you cleared it and somebody else has figured it out. I will take a look at the puzzle and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I figured that the timing and the fact that it was a puzzle cache may work against it somewhat, just wasn't sure exactly what to expect given that this is my first hide.

Hopefully it won't take quite as long for an FTF as Harry Dolphin's. :)

andGuest - Actually I hadn't explored geocheck.org all that much other than establishing the account and adding the page, etc. Thanks for the info - I've reset the stats now so they should reflect the correct 0/0 numbers now. And yes, feel free to have a try at solving the puzzle - like I said, it seems fairly easily solved to me but of course my perspective isn't the same as someone looking at it for the first time.

Thanks again for everyone's quick responses. I hope to hide a few more soon.

I have one that I thought rather simple that took three months for an FTF. 247 wrong guesses, 1 correct guess, 11 people watching. A lot more than that cursing me! Hee hee hee.

Heh heh heh. You are exposed! I knew there were some out there who get a sick pleasure out of skunking others.

:)

(this was a post of humor and not antagonism or disrespect)

With the cachers in that area, I'm told that a week to FTF an evil mystery cache is unusual. So, yes. I am chortling. Though I prefer to think of it as 'challenging'.

Took about 15 minutes to try and figure it out and unless I overlooked something it is not one of the normal type of puzzles I have seen. Incidentally I got sidetracked during the time and figured out one of Harry Dolphin's Puzzle caches in about 5 minutes that I now have bookmarked in case I ever end up in that neck of the woods.

Took about 15 minutes to try and figure it out and unless I overlooked something it is not one of the normal type of puzzles I have seen. Incidentally I got sidetracked during the time and figured out one of Harry Dolphin's Puzzle caches in about 5 minutes that I now have bookmarked in case I ever end up in that neck of the woods.

No, it isn't a "normal" encryption technique, I sort-of modified a fairly common encoding technique (could be a hint for anyone in the area looking to solve it) - and the couplet following the encrypted text would definitely be necessary to solve it (though no keyword encryption or anything here, just clues in the couplet).

Thanks for having a look, though. Hopefully more people will do the same over time. I just hope that gift certificate doesn't expire (or in this economy more concerning - that the shop doesn't go out of business) before someone FTF's. :) Thanks again.