Ye Old Survey Monuments

I've noticed that yosm.org.uk is back up now and I've just visited and downloaded the csv file for Memory Map and notice that there seems to be only 300 points listed in the file (the latest being YOSM300 (Brimham Rocks).

Has there been some kind of rationalisation of the list, or is it just that the list on the site is way out of date?

Thanks,

Russ

I notice that the address is now www.yosm.org.uk rather than www.yosm.co.uk as it was before. The maps don't seem to be working on Firefox, but all the points are there and my found tally matches, so well down for fixing it.

The YoSM POI file has been updated to include 365 & 366.

367 & 368 added to YoSM POI file.

The maps are fine by the way, I'd just got carried away with Adblock :anitongue:

Excuse my ignorance (!) but how are new locations added to YOSM for others to find?

I ask because I believe we have a rivet, that corresponds to a spot height of 26m, outside our house and we would like to include it in the listing.

Thanks, Henry.

Excuse my ignorance (!) but how are new locations added to YOSM for others to find?

I ask because I believe we have a rivet, that corresponds to a spot height of 26m, outside our house and we would like to include it in the listing.

Thanks, Henry.

They're added by Brian (outforthehunt), the cache owner. Not sure how he chooses them, probably at random, but they can't be added by us mere mortals.

Thanks, Henry.

They're added by Brian (outforthehunt), the cache owner. Not sure how he chooses them, probably at random, but they can't be added by us mere mortals.

You can contact Brian and nominate trigs for possible future visits by the YOSM.

Jon.

Thanks, Henry.

You can contact Brian and nominate trigs for possible future visits by the YOSM.

Jon.

Thanks gents...

As the others have said, the cache owner adds them himself. I'm not sure that it's entirely at random, because whenever he adds one in Southern Scotland it tends to be a trig I haven't visited :blink:

Henry - If you want to PM me details of the rivet - coords and any distinguishing features - I should be able to check if it would qualify as a trigonometrical station.

Cheers,

Bernie

I've added a new feature to the YOSM site - 'statpics' are now available. These will be updated everytime the stats are updated i.e. every 2-4 weeks.

The resources (MM csv, GPX, TomTom POI, etc.) are updated whenever a new YOSM is published, usually within a day or two.

Let me know if you have any problems with any of the above files.

Jeff

Thanks, Henry.

Perhaps the solution would be to hold an event at your rivet. :rolleyes:

I know that many event organisers will contact outforthehunt a couple of weeks beforehand to ask whether the YOSM listing can be relocated to a trigpoint fairly nearby. Perhaps that would work with your rivet? I feel a new series of "Rivetting Caches" coming on...

MrsB ;)

Can I ask the same stupid question about YOSM caches?

Can I go to any of the YOSM trig points (that have been listed - up to 385 at the moment?), record my coordinates and claim the cache as "found"? Excuse me for being thick, but I wasn't sure whether that was the way to do it, or whether to claim a "found" you had to find the actual live / current YOSM point?

Cheers!

Matt

Can I go to any of the YOSM trig points (that have been listed - up to 385 at the moment?), record my coordinates and claim the cache as "found"? Excuse me for being thick, but I wasn't sure whether that was the way to do it, or whether to claim a "found" you had to find the actual live / current YOSM point?

Cheers!

Matt

Yup, you got it fellah! Re-visits of past locations are allowed and encouraged (see page listing).

This cache can be logged from previous postings.

Full details of all YOSMs (including downloads, statistics and utilities) can be found on yosm.org.uk

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

Cheers!

Matt

Yup, you got it fellah! Re-visits of past locations are allowed and encouraged (see page listing).

This cache can be logged from previous postings.

Full details of all YOSMs (including downloads, statistics and utilities) can be found on yosm.org.uk

Jon.

So humour me then...

Why not just list all of the UK trig points (and FBMs etc etc) and allow a "find" when you've found one? Presumably at one time there was just one YOSM, and to log a find you had to grab that one. Now (as I understand it) there are 385 different places where i can get the find? Just curious. It might have made more sense to me (!) if YOSM could only be logged if you could get to the current point within 1 or 2 weeks (say).

Presumably the point is to make it easier and easier, with a little game of suspense in that you never know where the next one will be?

Anyway, glad I understood correctly! I don't think "This cache can be logged from previous postings" really explains things particularly well. "This cache can be logged by visiting any of the 385 YOSM points, and can be logged multiple times" might be an easier explanation for numpties like me!

Matt

So humour me then...

Why not just list all of the UK trig points (and FBMs etc etc) and allow a "find" when you've found one? Presumably at one time there was just one YOSM, and to log a find you had to grab that one. Now (as I understand it) there are 385 different places where i can get the find? Just curious. It might have made more sense to me (!) if YOSM could only be logged if you could get to the current point within 1 or 2 weeks (say).

Presumably the point is to make it easier and easier, with a little game of suspense in that you never know where the next one will be?

Anyway, glad I understood correctly! I don't think "This cache can be logged from previous postings" really explains things particularly well. "This cache can be logged by visiting any of the 385 YOSM points, and can be logged multiple times" might be an easier explanation for numpties like me!

Matt

The listing does point to www.yosm.org.uk for more information. Because of the nature of the cache, the information provided on the page is just right.

As to how it works... It's how it works. It was setup like that and runs like that, jumping about every couple of weeks or so. Has been doing so for many years without problem. I see no reason to question it or start messing with it. It's a grandfathered cache, I.E. adhered to the guidelines when it was originally set, but is now tolerated as an exception to the current guidelines. Let's leave it be, rather than rocking the boat or it'll be gone the way of the dodo! Which would be a terrible shame for what is a wonderful idiosyncratic gem in the geocaching world.

Don't worry about it, just get out there and find it!

Jon.

As to how it works... It's how it works. It was setup like that and runs like that, jumping about every couple of weeks or so. Has been doing so for many years without problem. I see no reason to question it or start messing with it. It's a grandfathered cache, I.E. adhered to the guidelines when it was originally set, but is now tolerated as an exception to the current guidelines. Let's leave it be, rather than rocking the boat or it'll be gone the way of the dodo! Which would be a terrible shame for what is a wonderful idiosyncratic gem in the geocaching world.

Agreed. In any case, as there are technically c.20,000 trigpoints (of which about 7,700 are listed on T:UK) it will be some decades before they all count as YOSM caches. :rolleyes:

So humour me then...

Matt

The listing does point to www.yosm.org.uk for more information. Because of the nature of the cache, the information provided on the page is just right.

Don't worry about it, just get out there and find it!

Jon.

Cheers! I think my curiosity is now sated!! :):D:D:cool:

(I still think that the cache page and YOSM aren't sufficiently well explained though - I've been caching for over a year now (so that still makes me a newbie!!) but I'm not daft. It wasn't until I read other people's logs that I inferred that you could log any one of the 385 previously highlighted points. In my language "The cache can be logged from previous postings" doesn't explain it well enough. However, hopefully just me pointing this out in this thread might help others!!)

Off to find YOSM012 in the next few days!!!

Matt

(I still think that the cache page and YOSM aren't sufficiently well explained though - I've been caching for over a year now (so that still makes me a newbie!!) but I'm not daft. It wasn't until I read other people's logs that I inferred that you could log any one of the 385 previously highlighted points. In my language "The cache can be logged from previous postings" doesn't explain it well enough. However, hopefully just me pointing this out in this thread might help others!!)

Hear what you are saying, but the information is there if you look for it. You're a geocacher, you're supposed to be able to work out puzzles and find hidden things. This cache is grandfathered in, and even then it is bending the guidelines. Saying anymore would be like putting a big flashy bit of HTML on the page that says "PLEASE ARCHIVE THIS CACHE AS IT'S SO VERY VERY NAUGHTY" :)

J

Hear what you are saying, but the information is there if you look for it. You're a geocacher, you're supposed to be able to work out puzzles and find hidden things. This cache is grandfathered in, and even then it is bending the guidelines. Saying anymore would be like putting a big flashy bit of HTML on the page that says "PLEASE ARCHIVE THIS CACHE AS IT'S SO VERY VERY NAUGHTY" :grin:

J

:blink::lol::lol::D

OK, I'll keep schtum!!

Matt