Map Datum

M.TEX

ok I do not know about GPS Tech. and I would like to know more about this...

I was looking my etrex and I found this and on the list I can modify to many settings...

what should I have on my GPS to work here in US. I saw the names of other Countries and

I couldn't figure out...please let me know more about it...Thanks

ok I do not know about GPS Tech. and I would like to know more about this...

I was looking my etrex and I found this and on the list I can modify to many settings...

what should I have on my GPS to work here in US. I saw the names of other Countries and

I couldn't figure out...please let me know more about it...Thanks

All Geocaching coordinates are in the WGS84 Datum.

If you are using a paper map it should tell you what Datum it uses.

If you look at most USGS topo maps you will see the Datum is NAD27.

Just remember to only use other datums other than WGS-84 when you need to plot coordnates on a paper map. Coordinates shown on GC.com use WGS-84. Changing your Datum on your GPS will cause you to be looking in a different location. For instance, using NAD-27 will put you off the WGS84 location by about 175ft

Just to be very clear about changing the GPS Datum: If you enter WGS84 coordinates while the GPS is set to WGS84 and later change the GPS to NAD27, you will still be directed to the intended location.

But, entering WGS84 coordinates into a GPS while it is set to NAD27 is going to put you off the location by roughly the distance indicated by 'Blaidd-Drwg'.