How Many FTFs Do You Have?

zuma!

We don't keep track and reconfigured the stats page on our profile to show two "favorites" instead of the number. They haven't changed since last March.

We wish someone would be second-to-find on this excellent puzzle cache. The cache brought us to a part of the state we hadn't visited before and we got to explore some amazing woods and swampy areas (which we love). Our other favorite is Alligator Alley which we found in 2007 (yes, it's in a swampy area).

CJ has the alert thingey on her phone (I don't) and will head out like her can's on fire for a ftf if time permits, but we don't grab 'em anywheres near like we used to.

Can't hit the lotto - gotta work, I'd rather spend free time with a decent hike in woods and rarely go after "urban" micros alone.

She probably out numbers me on ftfs 10 to 1 easy.

292 with 1826 finds.

i used to have a little notebook I carried around in my pack that contained a lot of information from caching that I wanted to save...travel bug numbers, FTFs, solved puzzles, etc...I eventually lost that notebook, so I have no idea how many FTFs I had back then, and am not about to go back through all my logs to try to discern which ones I was first to.

I do, however, still enjoy the race we always have to them around here. I do have a notification set up to alert me via cellphone when a new cache is published within about 5 miles of my home, so at least I know a new one is out. If I am already out caching, or sitting at home with nothing to do, or out doing something else, it's fun to get the "bat signal " and rush off to join the race. It's typical on such a hunt to run into another cacher or two, and often we end up sharing the FTF. Those are the best ones.

In my opinion, FTFs are just another aspect of geocaching...another variation, like puzzles, multis, virtuals, events, or anything else that folks choose to do, or not, depending on what's fun for them.

Recounted... 31 after 20 months and 1327 finds. I am the most active cacher in my town so there's not many new listings here unless they are mine. I have to drive 20 or 30 miles for a FTF attempt. I'm always second or more if I even try.

That absolutely stinks! I am one of the newer cachers in my area and it seems like we have hit an awesome stride. There are a handful of FTF Hunters and they all seem to have the utmost respect for each other. There are those that sincerely don't care about FTFs and they seem to have a great time too. Not to mention the fact that our old and new cachers are always putting out new ones.

Except for this week...it seems so slow.

Recounted... 31 after 20 months and 1327 finds. I am the most active cacher in my town so there's not many new listings here unless they are mine. I have to drive 20 or 30 miles for a FTF attempt. I'm always second or more if I even try.

That absolutely stinks! I am one of the newer cachers in my area and it seems like we have hit an awesome stride. There are a handful of FTF Hunters and they all seem to have the utmost respect for each other. There are those that sincerely don't care about FTFs and they seem to have a great time too. Not to mention the fact that our old and new cachers are always putting out new ones.

Except for this week...it seems so slow.

It's ok. FTF are great but it don;t cache fro FTF stats. Actually a FTF probably means more to me than a FTF Hound. The less you find the more you savor them. My town has a population of only about 90,000 and 30,000 are students. So geocachers are few. Kansas City and Topeka are on either side. Topeka (20mi west) and the KC Metro area (30mi.east). So the drive to go cache isn't that bad.

I've only found nine and none of them have been FTF. There was actually one placed like a mile from my house in December '08. I had initially planned on that being my first FTF.

For some reason, it was six or seven months before I got around to attempting to look for it. And of course by then it had been found a few times.

Marge and I got up to around 200 or 220 and stopped counting. The races were fun and most always done with a respect for each other. Yep, it was competition but done with fairness. Since Marge and I started caching in 2004 there are a lot more cachers therefore many more geocaches for the FTF hunts.

It was fun, but we sorta stepped aside for the newer cachers. I think we quit around our 1200th overall find. :rolleyes:

We are still new at this so we have not stumbled onto any FTFs. Since we signed up, quite a fair number of new hides have been published around here. Just have not felt compelled to go after them.

To us it is not about the race to be first, it is about being out having a nice walk in the sun and sometimes the rain.

We mostly go after groups of hides that are in parks and other similar areas where we can spend a few hours enjoying the outdoors.

If a new hide gets published in a location where we are going, then we will look for it, otherwise, everyone else can be first.

We have 100 FTFs for 10 months of caching. It has been allot of fun especially with all the other hunters in the area.

You are doing very well to have 100 FTF's on less than 500 caches. It has taken me nearly 5 years to get 31 FTF's on 748 caches. I got a FTF on a cache over 700 miles from home awhile back.

I'll try to stay over 4% but I doubt I'll get over 5%.

I currently have one cache that I hid in November that still has FTF available.

We have 100 FTFs for 10 months of caching. It has been allot of fun especially with all the other hunters in the area.

I have somewhere between 10 and 20, I think. I got one last week but it was for a Golden Ammo can hidden for my 1000th finds and I got the coords for it before it was published. I got another FTF a couple of weeks ago but can't remember what cache it was on. Prior to that I had taken the day off on 09/09/09 for an geoevent where 9 new caches were placed in the area. After 3 consecutive FTFs in a row I felt guilty about getting FTF on so many caches when I knew there would be others around later in the day to search for caches so I took a break and went out to breakfast. I could probably figure out exactly how many FTFs I've had but what's the point? It's like asking me my best time for running a marathon (hint: I've never run a marathon).

Believe it or not there are some places where getting a FTF just isn't a big deal. Nobody around here is going to get 100 FTFs in 10 months of caching. There was a six month period during the last 10 months where there were fewer than 10 new caches placed within a 20 mile radius of where I live.

Brag all you want about how many FTFs you have but understand that we're not all playing on the same field. You can count FTFs but you can't compare how many you have with someone else.

i have 3 FTF's 1 of them is shared (i've found 480 caches total at this point in time)

i don't go for ftf all that often. mainly when i find out about a new cache it has already been found or i don't have the time to rush off. i do, however, make it a priority to find newly published caches.

you have a better chance of meeting other cachers at a newly published cache.

I understand the prestige of a FTF

1 you won "the race" -- society dictates that winning is good

2 you had no clues to help you find it --- (many times i was able to make the find only after reading previous logs)

3 you get bragging rights

i also understand why they don't mean anything.

1 the fun is in the journey not the destination

2 adds to the argument of having no life

3 it's not always a smart thing to rush into the unknown (the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese)

We've got a dozen or so.

We finally got tired of Beta-Testing coords.....

Aint that the truth.

I have 7 FTFs right now. Six of the seven were placed by the same cacher. On four of the six, the coords were so far off, I almost walked away from them, just had to keep looking. Right now, he has four more hides that have yet to be found, they have been published for at least 3 weeks.

I will go after them when someone else finds them or I am in the area with nothing else to do.

I really like the fact he is placing them, the area is way, way short on hides, just wish he would learn to average. Having new caches close to home is really cool.

The newest FTF I have is 7 days old, so I think that means I don't chase FTFs, don't think I going to start anytime soon.