visiting Tucson

Sol seaker

Hello,

I'm going to be visiting Tucson for the first time very shortly here. I'd love recommendations on Caches and places to go.

I recently injured my back caching, so unfortunately I won't be doing any hikes, but would love interesting caches at places of interest.

Also would love to hear of any events, etc.

Thanks!!!

Hello,

I'm going to be visiting Tucson for the first time very shortly here. I'd love recommendations on Caches and places to go.

I recently injured my back caching, so unfortunately I won't be doing any hikes, but would love interesting caches at places of interest.

Thanks!!!

Hi

I don't know of any events in Tucson in the near future, there are a couple of get-togethers in the Phoenix metro area in the next couple of weeks.

Some questions to narrow things down a bit:

When and how long will you be here ? How limited are you for walking? Will you have a vehicle and what kind ? Do you prefer urban caches or do you want to get as far from the city as possible ? Do you just want to stay local, or will you be touring Southern Arizona some (Tombstone, Bisbee, etc)?

Quick suggestions, Mt Lemmon on the north side of Tucson, there is a good paved road up the mountains with a lot of great views of the valleys on both sides of the range. There are several easier caches along the road, including a couple of EarthCaches. It's a scenic drive . There is a small chance of road closure if we happen to get a winter storm. This is a fee area, but if you have the National Parks pass, it covers it.

Tucson Mountain Park on the west side has a lot of caches, you can get out and enjoy the desert scenery. If you're interested in something a little touristy, and able, there is the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Old Tucson Studios in that same area.

Edited by dixiedawn

If you are visiting Tucson two really great places to visit are the Sonoran Dessert Museum (SW Tucson) and Kartchner Caverns (I-10 E Exit 302).

If you look for the topic AZ for 3 weeks I posted a list of "elder friendly" caches that included Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone and other less well known locales. That list should keep you busy for an entire day.

Hello,

Thanks!!!

Hi

I don't know of any events in Tucson in the near future, there are a couple of get-togethers in the Phoenix metro area in the next couple of weeks.

Some questions to narrow things down a bit:

When and how long will you be here ? How limited are you for walking? Will you have a vehicle and what kind ? Do you prefer urban caches or do you want to get as far from the city as possible ? Do you just want to stay local, or will you be touring Southern Arizona some (Tombstone, Bisbee, etc)?

Quick suggestions, Mt Lemmon on the north side of Tucson, there is a good paved road up the mountains with a lot of great views of the valleys on both sides of the range. There are several easier caches along the road, including a couple of EarthCaches. It's a scenic drive . There is a small chance of road closure if we happen to get a winter storm. This is a fee area, but if you have the National Parks pass, it covers it.

Tucson Mountain Park on the west side has a lot of caches, you can get out and enjoy the desert scenery. If you're interested in something a little touristy, and able, there is the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Old Tucson Studios in that same area.

'

Will be visiting relatives, so I'm not going to have a lot of time, and likely not much loan of a car. I hope to get some auto loan time. We'll see. I won't be doing much caching without one, as I can't even do a quarter mile right now. I hope it will heal soon, but not likely within the time I'll be there.

If I get a car, I wont have it for long so they will have to be pretty local caches.

Thanks

Will be visiting relatives, so I'm not going to have a lot of time, and likely not much loan of a car. I hope to get some auto loan time. We'll see. I won't be doing much caching without one, as I can't even do a quarter mile right now. I hope it will heal soon, but not likely within the time I'll be there.

If I get a car, I wont have it for long so they will have to be pretty local caches.

Thanks

That should work out ok for some caching, too. Lots of locals like to take their visiting relatives to places like the Desert Museum, it is world famous after all :D There are some fairly easy caches along Kinney Rd, Gates Pass Rd, and the McCain Loop. For a central location of the area, try this cache and check out nearby caches. Many of the ones that are 1 or 1.5 are less than 500 ft round trip, and on fairly level ground. If you've never seen the desert in person, this will get you out to see some scenery and some cactus.

There are many urban caches, I can't help much on those as I prefer to get out of the city.

Thanks

That should work out ok for some caching, too. Lots of locals like to take their visiting relatives to places like the Desert Museum, it is world famous after all :D There are some fairly easy caches along Kinney Rd, Gates Pass Rd, and the McCain Loop. For a central location of the area, try this cache and check out nearby caches. Many of the ones that are 1 or 1.5 are less than 500 ft round trip, and on fairly level ground. If you've never seen the desert in person, this will get you out to see some scenery and some cactus.

There are many urban caches, I can't help much on those as I prefer to get out of the city.

Thanks very much!!

Anyone else recommend any of the city caches??