Hiking with 1 year old?

SnowBird690

Okay, I have a 15 month old son, and am a single mother, so it is just him and I out geocaching/hiking but he is out-growing the Snugli (where he rides on my front).

I have been looking at backpacks for kids on the back. He can walk now, but doesn't go where I want him to.

Do you have any suggestions about backpacks for kids to ride in? Is it worth spending $200 or is a $50 one okay? I have to beable to load him and put it on by myself and I want this to last awhile as I think that he won't be able to hike on his own with me for awhile yet. And next summer, I want to try taking him backpacking, or at least camping.

Kelty makes a very good line of "baby carrier" backpacks, but you have a unique problem...

Since you're by yourself (I believe you're saying) most of the time, swinging the ol' pack on WITH baby on board just seems unsafe.

They're meant as carriers and I would think the manufacturers believed that there'd be another to place baby in after donning.

Did you take a look at jogging/all terrain "strollers?"

BOB Revolution, BumbleRide, BabyJogger, And The Mountain Buggy are a few. Most will set you back $400. +, unless you find a good deal online.

I haven't seen any made for really hiking the wilds, usually paved trail.

I've seen those attached to mountain bikes (pull-behinds) and most appear pretty sturdy. You could bike it until he's bigger too :laughing: Might be worth a look.

Edited by cerberus1

We had both the top of the line Kelty carrier and the Madden Caravan (now called the Sherpani Rumba it appears).

The Kelty was great for shorter hikes, although there was a recall on the model we had, which we were able to observe firsthand when the seat strap slipped loose and our son dropped out the bottom like a sack of potatoes during one hike :laughing:

The Madden was for the more serious stuff. It had a fairly roomy bottom compartment, and a full suspension system that rivaled my usual backpack for comfort.

I think you'd probably do fine with the Kelty for the majority of your caching needs. The Madden is a pretty heavy beast without the extra kid-pounds added on, but if you're doing some serious mileage, it easily beats the Kelty for comfort and durability.

Considering the weather you are probably getting, a sled might be the best choice. Otherwise, my suggestion is to encourage him to walk. Just a guess, but winter and early spring are less than ideal times in NY state for hiking. Not that you won't get out, but my guess is that you won't get out as much.

So lets fast forward to late April/early May when you will be raring to hit that first CITO event and get into the swing of things. Your guy will be six months older -- at his age, that's HUGE development. He will be a lot bigger and stronger, his motor skills will be light years better (much to your chagrin as he will be RUNNING), and his cognitive and language skills take a big jump, too.

There is a pretty good chance that between now and then whatever you get now won't work, and he will in any case be a load you don't really want to haul. So my vote is to let him walk with you -- kids get carried, strollered and driven around too much anyway. This will force you to adjust your routine, at least for a little while. But he will be accustomed to walking and carrying his own load a lot earlier than he would otherwise.

Kelty makes a very good line of "baby carrier" backpacks, but you have a unique problem...

Since you're by yourself (I believe you're saying) most of the time, swinging the ol' pack on WITH baby on board just seems unsafe.

They're meant as carriers and I would think the manufacturers believed that there'd be another to place baby in after donning.

The Keltys I've seen and used are designed to put on and off with the kid already in it. They have a kickstand that automatically pops out when you remove it. You're best having a raised staging area (picnic table, tailgate, etc), but the pack also has grips specifically to lift it first to a knee then strap it on.

However, it looks like only their higher end ones have the kickstand now. I got my Kelty about eight years ago, and it was in the $60-70 range -- not much cargo space, but it does have the kickstand. It looks like they don't have anything in that price range with the kickstand anymore.

Video here

YES!!!! Get one!

they are safe and easy to get on and off fully loaded, they have kickstands.

Though mine are now 13 and 16 and reluctant to follow me into the woods, there was a time when my

baby backpack was my most prized posession! When I only had one child, she rode in the backpack while we hiked, mowed the lawn, shoveled snow, watched a parade or trekked through the airport. When the second child came along, it was easier to hang onto and chase the 1st with baby on the back, instead of in a stroller. The little ones love the view, mom's hands are free and terrain and crowds are no longer obstacles.

My Older sister introduced me to the concept with one of the early models. Mine was a bit nicer, but not nearly as safe or comfortable as the ones on the market now. Shop for a baby packpack the way you would for a backcountry trek. You'll both love the freedom.

Forgot to mention- when you go blackberry or mulberry picking, don't wear a white shirt- :D

My little monkeys painted more than one comfy t-shirt with the fruits of my labor, but I happily put up with a little sticky stuff in my ponytail.

oh- And winter is a great time for backpacks instead of strollers-you don't have to worry about getting stuck in snow or mud and they're warmer.

For quick trips where I don't need to haul anything extra, I just use the Ergo. My son is 2.5y and right around 25lbs. We sometimes use a woven wrap, as well. The Ergo is our daily use carrier, though, and is always within arm's reach. It's easy to use with our frequent bus rides, too. I can leave him in and stand, or take him out and sit. There are a variety of soft structured carriers (SSCs) like the Ergo.

If I need to haul anything or if I need to wear more winter clothing than a fleece (and if he needs snowpants and a heavy coat), we use a framepack. We have the Deuter KidComfort III, which has an integrated sunhood, some gear pockets, and a pocket for a hydration bladder. I can get it on by myself and it has a "kick" stand. I do use trekking poles with this, especially on wet or uneven terrain.

I sometimes use trekking poles with the Ergo--mountains, uneven terrain, or snowy/icy conditions.

If you can find local vendors of the different brands, try them on. And fiddle around with the straps, make sure the pack actually fits you.

I thought the Deuter fit me just fine and ordered it. And then I struggled with finding the right spot for a year. Finally, I was out two weeks ago and suddenly realized a different set of strap adjusters. I rethreaded two straps and it suddenly fits perfectly.

I've been working on a babywearing coat for over a year now. I figure I'll finish it about the time he's too heavy to wear. It would allow us to use the Ergo underneath and conserve body heat.

I wound up getting a Chicco baby backpack from Babies R Us because I needed something fast and it was the only thing in any retail store nearby that looked worth anything around here. I wanted to go on a hiking trip but I realized that the Snuggli was broke! One of the clips for clipping it on me is broken.

I really liked him riding on the front though as he was warmer. I would put the Snugli on, then put my coat on over the Snugli, then put him in the Snugli, then zip my coat up around both of us. He stayed nice and toasty like this, in the backpack carrier, I think he gets cold. So I either have to hold off doing any hiking until spring when the weather warms, of figure out some way to fix the Snugli at least do a patch job to get us buy until spring.

Also, he doesn't seem to like the Chicco, even though he looks really comfortable in it. I went for a mile hike and the second half of the hike he just started crying and crying and I don't really know why. I regret buying it now.

I wound up getting a Chicco baby backpack from Babies R Us because I needed something fast and it was the only thing in any retail store nearby that looked worth anything around here. I wanted to go on a hiking trip but I realized that the Snuggli was broke! One of the clips for clipping it on me is broken.

I really liked him riding on the front though as he was warmer. I would put the Snugli on, then put my coat on over the Snugli, then put him in the Snugli, then zip my coat up around both of us. He stayed nice and toasty like this, in the backpack carrier, I think he gets cold. So I either have to hold off doing any hiking until spring when the weather warms, of figure out some way to fix the Snugli at least do a patch job to get us buy until spring.

Also, he doesn't seem to like the Chicco, even though he looks really comfortable in it. I went for a mile hike and the second half of the hike he just started crying and crying and I don't really know why. I regret buying it now.

Your other option is to return the Chicco and find something he finds comfier. For the time being, a good soft structured carrier (Ergo and Beco are just two of the more popular brands) or even a mei tai might work better. You could make a babywearing coat or poncho for back carries.

For cool, but not cold weather:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/poncho.html

For colder:

http://drmomma.blogspot.com/2009/11/babywe...alteration.html

I've not seen the chicco in person, but does he *sit* in it or dangle? If he dangles, he just won't be comfortable. And if he does sit, he might need stirrups to keep his feet comfy.

Your other option is to return the Chicco and find something he finds comfier. For the time being, a good soft structured carrier (Ergo and Beco are just two of the more popular brands) or even a mei tai might work better. You could make a babywearing coat or poncho for back carries.

For cool, but not cold weather:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/poncho.html

For colder:

http://drmomma.blogspot.com/2009/11/babywe...alteration.html

I've not seen the chicco in person, but does he *sit* in it or dangle? If he dangles, he just won't be comfortable. And if he does sit, he might need stirrups to keep his feet comfy.

Hi! Thanks for all your advice!

I am going to return the Chicco today because I came up with a GREAT solution...I made my own...cost = $0.

No better price than that. Found instructions on the internet, and used and old mattress skirt I have had for a couple of years, cut it, sewed it, and now I have a baby carrier that works awesome! It is versitle, adjustable, strong, warm, comfy, he LOVES it, I LOVE it, and it was free. This is the way women have been carrying their babies for thousands of years, who am I to argue? I highly suggest it!

A simple piece of cloth can be quite versatile. And I like wraps.

What did you sew? Mei Tai? A wrap with a seam? Pouch? You may have discovered a new addiction. :P

I mentioned the more structured carriers because you indicated interest in hiking/camping. If you're not carrying gear, though, simpler is often better!

A simple piece of cloth can be quite versatile. And I like wraps.

What did you sew? Mei Tai? A wrap with a seam? Pouch? You may have discovered a new addiction. :P

I mentioned the more structured carriers because you indicated interest in hiking/camping. If you're not carrying gear, though, simpler is often better!

Actually it is just a wrap, I had to sew because I didn't have a piece of cloth that was 15 ft long! So I cut an old queen sized sheet into thirds, then took two of the thirds and sewed them together end to end to make a single long 16 ft long by 30" wide cloth, and then got the instructions of a couple of positions to tie it from the internet.

So far I have had great luck with the hip carry and a front carry. But like you said, this may become a new addiction. There are lots of different kinds of wraps out there. Maybe eventually I will get a couple of rings and try ring carriers.

Actually it is just a wrap, I had to sew because I didn't have a piece of cloth that was 15 ft long! So I cut an old queen sized sheet into thirds, then took two of the thirds and sewed them together end to end to make a single long 16 ft long by 30" wide cloth, and then got the instructions of a couple of positions to tie it from the internet.

So far I have had great luck with the hip carry and a front carry. But like you said, this may become a new addiction. There are lots of different kinds of wraps out there. Maybe eventually I will get a couple of rings and try ring carriers.

I highly recommend Sling Rings. I ordered a sampler pack of aluminum rings from them. Lightweight, gorgeous, and they'll hold (http://slingrings.com/testing.php). I used a ring sling until I couldn't handle a one-shoulder carry anymore. It's not ideal for long walks, but it's great for popping in and out while shopping or moving about the house.

TheBabyWearer is a great forum for babywearing of all types. And I think they have a sale/trade board. I bought my woven wrap locally, used. And there are lots of videos for different carries on youtube. I'm still getting used to the wrap.

And hey, anything that keeps the kid happy and close to you while you're enjoying the world is great. My son can walk fairly far for a wee guy, but I like to go even farther. I often have the ergo or a wrap with us in case he gets tired after the first or second mile. We try to go out every day, though I'm a bit skittish when it's below freezing *and* windy.

Oh, and you may have already figured this out, but I find that a decent trail shoe is ideal for urban babywearing. Regular walking shoes let my ankles roll under the extra weight and that's not a good thing (a bad sprain makes babywearing difficult). The trade off is that a lot of trail shoes have less cushioning beneath the insole (I have custom orthoses), which can make asphalt rather uncomfortable.

Ah..my other passion, babywearing :D

Our youngest is a hiker all the way, but gets tired sometimes. Hey, she's 2, and those legs just do not go 7+ miles in a day yet.

While I can appreciate a framed backpack (and like Kelty's, but there is no real reason except that is my preference, and I've never had a bad experience with one) our normal wearing consists of a mei tie, an ergo-style carrier with a larger panel, or a wrap. Siobhan is a tricky kid and can wrangle her way down inside the wrap, though, so we are mostly MT'ing it these days.

Find one that fits you WELL. Get used to it. toss your kid around, dance, shake, clean the house for the whole day with him there. You'll know if it's on right :laughing: Learn the right tie for your body, and his. You will NEVER go back. I have a bone disease in my hips and lower back, and my 2yo is 36 pounds. I can pack her on me ALL day hiking no problem, even the tougher terrains.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info on soft carriers :( Or new ties/wearing styles. Check out thebabywearer.com as well, the ladies there are AWESOME and super helpful!

Edited by jennyofthemoon

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I would like to put my vote down for the Deuter KidComfort III.

I tried a couple dozen different models, and found this one to meet our needs the best.

It is totally adjustable (takes a treck or two to get it perfect), offers tons of storage space, water bladder pocket (wait till your child discover that the hose on your shoulder has water) and provides decent protection for the child.

I have had my little guy (now going on 16 months) in the pack since about 4 months old. I have done long hikes, and full days of geocahing with him on the back, and am still in good shape to do it again the next day.

Because it has a bladder pocket, the side mesh pockets are good for sippy cups. It also has a handy pocket on the hip belt, which can be used for either a cell phone, 2way radio or GPS.

Although I already mentioned the adjustability, I can't compiment it enough. The shoulder strap mounting hight is very easy and fast to adjust, so sharing the responsibility of carrying the pack with my wife is easy.