Traveling Cache GCC859

Princess Lisa

I used to keep some of these on a watchlist because I wanted the experience of logging one. But it was too stressful trying to keep up with them, and when they were nearish me I couldn't go out and get them (hours driving, etc.). They move so quickly. I've given up, the only way I will be able to log one is if someone puts it in my hands. :):)

There's one up in Bellingham, as well: GC9253

The posted coordinates for that one have not kept up with where the cache is.

So is the cache still up there, or does FN still have it? I am heading up to B-Ham tomorrow and would love to find and move this cache.

A quick look at the recent logs show that it was moved south by Craftea and then moved again by Rodgowdy before FN picked it up. I would say it definitely is not in Bellingham.

This cache was up here a couple of years ago and I wasn't familiar with travel caches so I didn't know what it was...it just showed up on my radar as a cache and I was going over to West Seattle to cache; by the time I got there, it had already moved; I wondered why I couldn't find a 1/1 cache until I wner home and read about it and was fascinated...it then moved up near North Bend and there was an Ape Cache event there so I left home early in hopes of getting it; again it had moved and I missed it. When it reappeared this past few months...actually, two of them now...I was dying to get at least one of them. I went on my day off 21 miles north to get it and it wasn't where it was psted and no new coordinates were posted. Two days later it showed that it was still there so I again made the journey only to find that I was right..it wasn't there so I was pretty ticked off and posted a note for the person who had it to please either replace it or re hide it. It then moved clear down south 20 miles the other direction from me (I live in Crown Hill). So I drove down there and managed to finally log it, but the problem isn't just that it moves fast....people are taking the travelling caches to events and letting people log them, often for days. Meanwhile, people are showing up at the site and not able to find it...not because it has moved on but because someone is holding it at an event. It was at the COWWS event and at the Centralia Cache Machine...if you read the logs, you can tell. Now I suspect it was also at the Ape cache event, but I wasn't very savvy back then so I really don't know. Cachers have to respect the integrity of these unique caches and obey the rules that are stated on the cache page; if you take the cache, you need to place it within 24 hours and post the new coordinates. The LEAST you can do is log on and let folks know that you have it and are moving it so spare people the trip to not find it and not even have an opportunity. The Stop and GoGogo cache was recently placed near my house on the way to work so I left early the next day to get it (you can log it several times as long as there are 3 people who get it in between your last log) and again it was gone; no new coordinates were posted. That is when it started showing up at the COWWS event. It should have either still been there or replaced...AT A STOP SIGN...not an event; the cacher could have put it at a stop sign near the event. I still watch them move and hope to get them, but I no longer chase them miles away from my home. They will got the way of Virtuals and other cool caches of people don't respect the rules. That is my opinion...

GC9253. You left a note on the cache page that we took as a reprimand, yet the cache is still sitting where we hid it over two week ago. So whatever your point is, is seems kind of moot (no pun intended).

You had better get moving, a lot more people know of its whereabouts now.

GC9253. You left a note on the cache page that we took as a reprimand, yet the cache is still sitting where we hid it over two week ago. So whatever your point is, is seems kind of moot (no pun intended).

You had better get moving, a lot more people know of its whereabouts now.

Huh? What reprimand?? That you TOOK it as a reprimand isn't my problem... I have no personal agenda against anyone; I am making the point that people aren't rehiding the cache somewhere but are taking it to events and friends to log. If that isn't you, then don't take it personally. I did post a note asking where the cache had been moved to so I could try to get it as the next logger notes that he found it in the HANDS of the cacher. Seems to me if I remember correctly this cache was also getting passed around but I cannot access previous logs on that cache site right now; I believe there is a glitch in Groundspeak's new format. Once I saw that is was on Vashon Island, I gave it up...did you see the recent post? Someone went to get it and it wasn't to be found...maybe that is why no one is logging it....not to mention you have to get on a ferry to get to Vashon..people DO know where it is. There are 117 people watching this cache...so they need to know where it is before they catch a ferry to look for it. THAT is my point.

Once I saw that is was on Vashon Island, I gave it up...did you see the recent post? Someone went to get it and it wasn't to be found...maybe that is why no one is logging it....not to mention you have to get on a ferry to get to Vashon..people DO know where it is. There are 117 people watching this cache...so they need to know where it is before they catch a ferry to look for it. THAT is my point.

OK, we'll accept that you felt you needed to leave a comment on the cache page for no particular reason.

Traveling caches are sort of like having a never-ending FTF hunt: you have to get there first. Isn't it the possibility of failure that makes the FTF hunt exciting for the FTF hounds? Or are they actually playing a zero-sum game and the excitement comes from knowing that if they "win" then everyone else loses? Either way, why would anyone expect to be given some kind of assurance that a cache is still there. Don't we all take that risk every single time we look for a cache?

Someone has now logged that they failed to find the cache and possibly invented the tipi throwdown. No one else has logged a find yet so the possibility remains that the cache is actually still there. Inserting commas into the correct locations will make the hint very explicit.

If no one logs the cache as found tonight, we'll try to go check on it tomorrow and remove the tipi.

Edited by B+L

The cache is no longer where we hid it. We hid it carefully and the area is not well known. It is very unlikely that someone found it by chance, although anything is possible.

The tipi was at least two feet tall and much stouter than we expected. We dismantled and scattered it.

This makes for an interesting case study on the how quickly a few seekers can impact a small area. There is no permanent damage, but the tale of desperation is writ large.