Getting all of a Geocaches logs to the PN 40

I like to read logs of Geocaches for hints when I'm at GZ and can't find the geocache. Is it possible to get all of a GC's logs or just the 5 or so most recent ones? right now when I look at the logs it only has a half a dozen or so.

I like to read logs of Geocaches for hints when I'm at GZ and can't find the geocache. Is it possible to get all of a GC's logs or just the 5 or so most recent ones? right now when I look at the logs it only has a half a dozen or so.

Depends upon the tool you use. GSAK generated GPX files will do the trick up to 15k characters. You might not get them all, but you'll have plenty of them.

IIRC, a PQ only contains a limited number (5 sticks in my head, but I could be wrong about the specific number) of the most recent logs. The 15K character limit for the description, hints, logs, etc. on the PN-40 is a separate issue. Within that 15K limit, you can improve the number of logs by using GSAK as TL suggests. However, just using GSAK is not sufficient because of the inherent limit of a single run of the PQ.

If a cache has more than 5 (or whatever) logs, you're never going to get them all because of the PQ limit on the "n most recent." But using GSAK, you can accumulate more logs going forward by periodically re-running the PQ. What I don't know offhand is how GSAK determines how many logs to download to the unit. Had it in my head that there was an option for this in the download dialog, but there is not.

Echoing what others have said, for reasons of limits in both the pocket queries and the PN-40 itself, you usually can't get ALL of the logs. Just the most recent -- which are hopefully the most useful ones.

If that's not good enough--get a smartphone that can let you browse gc.com website directly. If you're within cellular data coverage you have access to a lot more info. Still won't give you everything, all the time, but it will be incrementally more than you have now.

IIRC, a PQ only contains a limited number (5 sticks in my head, but I could be wrong about the specific number) of the most recent logs. The 15K character limit for the description, hints, logs, etc. on the PN-40 is a separate issue. Within that 15K limit, you can improve the number of logs by using GSAK as TL suggests. However, just using GSAK is not sufficient because of the inherent limit of a single run of the PQ.

If a cache has more than 5 (or whatever) logs, you're never going to get them all because of the PQ limit on the "n most recent." But using GSAK, you can accumulate more logs going forward by periodically re-running the PQ. What I don't know offhand is how GSAK determines how many logs to download to the unit. Had it in my head that there was an option for this in the download dialog, but there is not.

It's an option when setting up the GPX export to set how many logs you want to export with the GPX.

It's an option when setting up the GPX export to set how many logs you want to export with the GPX.

It's there for export to .gpx, which might be what I was thinking about. But it's not there on the (standard, as it appears in Help) dialog for sending to a GPSr. Might be there for the PN-40, though -- I'm relying on the Help since I don't have the unit or GSAK in front of me.

To summarize:

A PQ only contains the 5 most recent logs. You can use the GPX exchange button on an individual cache page and it will contain all logs. You can then use GSAK to load that to your 40 and get all logs (up to the 15K limit) as long as you select "No Limit" in the "Number of logs to include" option on the "Send to GPSr" dialog box within GSAK.

:laughing:

Edited by Pax42

To summarize:

A PQ only contains the 5 most recent logs. You can use the GPX exchange button on an individual cache page and it will contain all logs. You can then use GSAK to load that to your 40 and get all logs (up to the 15K limit) as long as you select "No Limit" in the "Number of logs to include" option on the "Send to GPSr" dialog box within GSAK.

:laughing:

Excellent. Thanks! So basically there is no way to get all the logs in bulk downloads, correct?

Correct.