Garmin eTrex H

seanhite

i am thinking about buying my son a Garmin eTrex H. he wants to use is for geocaching.i know it does not come with maps. what accesories will i need to get him to go along with this?

You can use it for geocaching as it is. However, he will have to enter coordinates manually.

In order to connect to the computer you need the (expensive) Garmin cable and either a serial port (not found on most new machines) or a USB to serial converter, which can be difficult to install. Some 3rd party sell the two components in one cable for considerably less than what Garmin charges, but again installation is finicky sometimes. I've had the converters work the first try. I've also had them never working on a machine.

A more expensive choice with USB support (and map support) is the Venture HC or eTrex Legend H.

Edit to add : a case or something to protect the screen, and NiMH with recharger if you don't have one already. Not essential, but the case protects the screen from scratches, and the rechargables save money in the long run.

Edited by Chrysalides

Nice device but has a serial interface and no cable. By the time you buy the cable and a serial to USB converter - you may as well have bought the Garmin Venture HC. Much better unit with color screen, USB connections, some map memory, geocaching mode, long battery life and rugged.

Agreed. If you want computer connectivity it could run you as much as $60 to get the data cable and a serial to USB converter. Once you include that cost the Venture HC or the Legend H will be cheaper.

Well I like my Venture HC, but the little button on the front is kind of annoying. If I have it in my pocket while walking I can hear it constantly beeping as it is cycling through the menu options. I'm new at this so I'm not sure if there is a way to disable that front button, but I do not like it there that is for sure. Other than that, I like it.

Well I like my Venture HC, but the little button on the front is kind of annoying. If I have it in my pocket while walking I can hear it constantly beeping as it is cycling through the menu options. I'm new at this so I'm not sure if there is a way to disable that front button, but I do not like it there that is for sure. Other than that, I like it.

Get the case and just clip it to your belt

cf-md.jpg

Someone once suggested getting a corn pad - something like this (it was the first good image I could find on google). Stick it around the joystick to give it some protection against accidental activation.

You might look into getting one of these cases that would solve your situation: Amazon link Edited by coggins

i am thinking about buying my son a Garmin eTrex H. he wants to use is for geocaching.i know it does not come with maps. what accesories will i need to get him to go along with this?

1,000 finds and still using a Garmin E-Trex H. No plans to upgrade anytime soon.

You can get an aftermarket cord from amazon.com for $10.95

"Garmin compatible PC Interface Data Cable for eTrex"

I also use the program MapSource.

Both of these items are included in the more expensive Garmin GPS's

I reccomend the etrex as a beginning gps or the etrex legend (if you can afford the extra $ ;):) 30)

just know how to add waypoints to it. :o

Edited by ton9819

1,000 finds and still using a Garmin E-Trex H. No plans to upgrade anytime soon.

You can get an aftermarket cord from amazon.com for $10.95

"Garmin compatible PC Interface Data Cable for eTrex"

I also use the program MapSource.

Both of these items are included in the more expensive Garmin GPS's

I agree with gworol,I got a etrex for xmas and started looking for caches.the only downside is the cable and usb to serial converter setup that garmin sells costs as much as the gps! I cannot understand why they charge $39 and 60 bucks for these . most pc's today do not have a serial port.

but i found that amazon.com has the cable and converter for about 40 dollars(much easier on the wallet) I think garmin should include the cable with the gps,The more costly models have their data cable included.

Ebay is great for cables!!

I found the cable for my garmin H in a cache :o

Got lucky on that one.

I had been looking on ebay and planning to get one there.

I got the adaptor for the cable (to USB) at Fry's electronics for 20 bucks (on the way home from the cache).

They might sell online.

I got mine new and it works much bettter than the older e-trek I was using by far!!!!

Never buy a GPS more than a few years old! The one I was using I swear must have not been WAAS enabled

It was regularly 80 feet off.

Sorry, I digress, I guess that wasn't the question. :)

You need nothing except batteries.

The mentioned cable make live much more convenient, however you maybe need an USB-Serial Converter als well.

To start geocaching the Etrex H is just fine!

GermanSailor