Most expensive swag or ftf prize

lavender5215

hundred dollar bill.

Wow thats pretty cool! Someone really just put $100. in a cache for someone to find?

What did you have to do to get to that cache, climb a tree, swim a lake.........?

Must have been a 5/5!

it was a FTF prize.

the two of us who solved it split the cash, and what we spent in hunting it exceeded the amount of the prize.

it was still worth it.

Here is a poll/post that I put out earlier in the year that you might be interested. It is entitled "Everything you wanted to know about swag". It goes over what you are discussing.

Check it out:

http://headhardhat-geocache.blogspot.com/2...know-about.html

-HHH :)

I was just curious about like the level of stuff that people really put into caches. I am actually thinking about putting my old ipod into a cache for an FTF.

and I was just curious, its kind of cool to see what people will put in the caches.

One guy i read about actually put an engagement ring in a cache,of course he let her find it before it was actually published, but nonetheless. :P

I put in a new Petzel head lamp in a cache hat was about $30.

In another cache I placed an automobile road ice sensor that I received as a gift and had no use for. I saw it in a catalog for $60.

In yet another cache I placed a new hydration day pack that was anther gift that I had no use fort. I see similar items in Walmart for around $30.

I also picked up a pair of very nice hiking pants at an LL Bean outlet store for $6 and put them in a cache. They were $50 bucks in the Bean catalog. OK so the color sucked (sort of a brownish purple), which is likely why they were on sale in the outlet store, but someone with a 30" waist and 32" inseam got a very functional pairl of hiking pants.

Also some Geocaching.com hats which ran about 15 bucks or so each.

And Bushnell binoculars. My wife received them as swag at a trade show, but I see the exact same model in stores for $25.

Most weren't placed as FTF prizes per se but the FTF was certainly welcome to them. Oddly enough in only a few instances did the FTF take them. The binoculars where still in the cache nearly a year later.

Edited by briansnat

I put in a new Petzel head lamp tin a cache hat was about $30.

In another cache I placed an automobile road ice sensor that I received as a gift and had no use for. I saw it in a catalog for $60.

In yet another cache I placed a new hydration day pack that was anther gift that I had no use fort. I see similar items in Walmart for around $30.

I also picked up a pair of very nice hiking pants at an LL Bean outlet store for $6 and put them in a cache. They were $50 bucks in the Bean catalog. OK so the color sucked (sort of a brownish purple), which is why there were on sale in the outlet store, but someone with a 30" waist and 32" inseam got a very functional pairl of hiking pants.

Also some Geocaching.com hats which ran about 15 bucks or so each.

None were placed as FTF prizes per se but the FTF was certainly welcome to them.

Pants! now that is interesting.

I left a $20 bill in a cache as swag that was in the same place that the hider has proposed to his wife (and themed the cache after) It was a good climb and in a great spot, so on the spur of the moment I left it and wrote in the online log that I had left a "small stimulus package". Nobody logged that they picked it up, but it's nice to be generous every now and then.

I haven't found anything expensive, but sometimes I find useful things. A small flashlight and a space blanket come to mind.

The FTF prize for one of my caches was $10 and an unopened Sarah Brightman album. I got it as a Christmas hand-me-down. (It was given to somebody who already had a copy, so they gave it to me.) Since I'd never heard of her, I looked it up and decided it wasn't the sort of thing I'd listen to more than once, so I made swag out of it.

hundred dollar bill.

Wow thats pretty cool! Someone really just put $100. in a cache for someone to find? :P

What did you have to do to get to that cache, climb a tree, swim a lake.........?

Must have been a 5/5! :)

There was a cache placed before I started that had a $100 FTF prize. After each day that the cache remained unfound, the prize dropped by $20. It was found on the second day. It was a fairly simple puzzle cache with a bison tube in the woods for the finale. It wasn't that difficult a find. I'm not sure why the CO decided to put $100 in for FTF but I know that one cacher was pretty happy that he did.

I have left a $10 gold coin from the Golden Nugget in a cache for a FTF prize. Not sure what it was worth, but at least $10. I also have some 1 oz. silver coins I leave if a cache is unusually challenging, or if evident that the hider went to a great deal of trouble placing it.

Just yesterday, I was the FTF and inside the cache was an ipod nano. I didn't take it though.

Also, In my seed cache I recently placed 5 wrapped christmas gifts for the next finders. They contain things like geocoins, and other swag I got from Oakcoins.

Best I found was a $35 gift certificate to a local steak restaurant. I've also found $10 bills, free pizza cupons, books on cd with a sticker price over $40, real silver necklace penadant and a few other items. Sparked me to keep a few $20+ items in my swag bag.

Best I've left in one of my caches is a Palm m100 PDA - worth about $65 at the time. I've also left $25 pen/pencil set, new Mag lite flashlight, and a few other nicer items.

I put $20 in one of mine. The FTF donated it to a local cancer charity.

I rather like that idea.

I'm not particularly disposed to FTF prizes as I'm of the 'The Find Is The Prize Itself' school of thought and First To Find is extra honey on the pancake. But a note to the First Finder to contact me because the prize will be a $25 donation to their favorite charity. I think I could do that.

Over the 16 caches I've hidden, for FTFs, 2TFs, 3TFs and beyond I've left as prizes:

$430 in gift cards

$91 in cash

1 set of DVDs to the final season of Seinfeld

2 books about the movie history of New York

3 geocaching t-shirts

13 plated state quarters

22 tiny action figures

10 unactivated, trackable geocoins

158 numbered but untrackable geocoins

We got a certificate for $125. It was in a temporary event cache, which we don't log, but we were sure glad we hunted it! :P It was a great multi, it's too bad it couldn't have been made permanent.

We've found a number of $5 gift cards for places like McD's or Starbucks, the occasional geocoin and that's been about it. Always fun to see what might be there, but more fun to enjoy visiting the places that the caches take us.

Hi!

Just curious, what is the most expensive ftf prize anyone has every seen, claimed, or placed in a cache?

Also, what is the most expensive swag any one has ever seen, claimed, or placed in a cache?

The highest FTF prize I know about was for the OPERATION HIGH DESERT ADVENTURE (GCB416) and OPERATION HIGH DESERT ADVENTURE NO.2 (GCDE7F) from TEAM KFWB GPS.

The prize for each of them was 1,000 USD!

Bye,

Christian

A certificate to exchange at a local jewelry store for a pair of diamond earrings! When I went to redeem the certificate you should have seen the look on the young man's face when I handed it over, he was sputtering a bit and didn't know what to do. Luckily, his boss (an avid cacher) was there and I walked out with the aforementioned earrings. I figured it would have been bad form to ask what they retailed for though so I can't tell you the $$ value.

Since I don't do the guy earring thing I gave them to my favorite geo-babe. One happy gal let me tell you. <_<

The highest FTF prize I know about was for the OPERATION HIGH DESERT ADVENTURE (GCB416) and OPERATION HIGH DESERT ADVENTURE NO.2 (GCDE7F) from TEAM KFWB GPS.

The prize for each of them was 1,000 USD!

Holy cow...I wish I was close enough to have tried these!