One million ?

Elementry

The "957,023" active caches posted on the front page are just that, "active" caches. It does not include archived caches. There have have been many more than 1 million caches placed.

And the 957,023 number is dynamic in that new caches will up the number just as newly archived will "down" the number. Thus, no one can pinpoint any single cache as the "1 millioneth" active cache.

The "957,023" active caches posted on the front page are just that, "active" caches. It does not include archived caches. There have have been many more than 1 million caches placed.

And the 957,023 number is dynamic in that new caches will up the number just as newly archived will "down" the number. Thus, no one can pinpoint any single cache as the "1 millioneth" active cache.

well i WISH there was a way.Come On Groundspeak get on this.we no you want to.

guess or not i want to place it/own it do you let this happen or is it a secret?

Neither, it's open mic night at the comedy club. :P:D:)

Why can't they do it?

Because fish don't like ice cream!

I have not tried feeding ice cream to fish.But one million.I am going to write Oprah..

[slightly off topic, I know]

If anyone here cared enough to do the math in both decimal and base-21 (or whatever the heck it is), it would be trivial to figure out what GC number represents the 1,000,000th placing.

Or two of us could do it, and then argue ad hominem about our solutions for days on end.

guess or not i want to place it/own it do you let this happen or is it a secret?

Neither, it's open mic night at the comedy club. :surprise::yikes::anicute:

Why can't they do it?

Because...they are trying to figure out a way to predict when the next thread of this same topic will show up...(keeps getting more frequent as the "number" inches closer to a million)

:laughing:

[slightly off topic, I know]

If anyone here cared enough to do the math in both decimal and base-21 (or whatever the heck it is), it would be trivial to figure out what GC number represents the 1,000,000th placing.

Or two of us could do it, and then argue ad hominem about our solutions for days on end.

Just use Fizzycalc

http://www.fizzymagic.net/Geocaching/FizzyCalc/index.html

GCFF + GCFFF + GCFFFF + GCG000-GCZZZZ + GC10000-GCZZZZZ

GC1GBC0 is #1,000,000

GC224N1 is #1,500,000

Cannot believe I actually did this :laughing:.

I started with fizzymagic's statement that "the last 4-letter combination, GCZZZZ, will be cache # 512,400." My math confirmed that.

So then the millionth cache would be the 487,600th entry in the new 7-digit system, which makes it GC0FTZQ. But when I tried to look at that cache, the system fed me the page for GCED33.

I looked around a little more and discovered that the GC0xxxx series hasn't been used and "GC10000 is the 512401 geocache created on geocaching.com and it has taken just over 6.5 years (2429 days) to reach this point, with an average of about 210 geocaches created each day since the first geocache was placed back on May 3rd, 2000."

So my latest guess is that the 1,000,000th hide might be GC1FTZQ, "Clifftop Cache" in Ontario.

Edited by Cairngorm

GCFF + GCFFF + GCFFFF + GCG000-GCZZZZ + GC10000-GCZZZZZ

GC1GBC0 is #1,000,000

GC224N1 is #1,500,000

Cannot believe I actually did this :laughing:.

I started with fizzymagic's statement that "the last 4-letter combination, GCZZZZ, will be cache # 512,400." My math confirmed that.

So then the millionth cache would be the 487,600th entry in the new 7-digit system, which makes it GC0FTZQ. But when I tried to look at that cache, the system fed me the page for GCED33.

I looked around a little more and discovered that the GC0xxxx series hasn't been used and "GC10000 is the 512401 geocache created on geocaching.com and it has taken just over 6.5 years (2429 days) to reach this point, with an average of about 210 geocaches created each day since the first geocache was placed back on May 3rd, 2000."

So my latest guess is that the 1,000,000th hide might be GC1FTZQ, "Clifftop Cache" in Ontario.

Its GC1GBC0

www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?id=1000000

There are a number of ways to get to a cache page

the URL above takes the listing number, and is for cache #1,000,000.

It's a darn sight easier than some of the techniques folks have used in this thread.

I rather fancy #1234567 www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?id=1234567

http:coord.info/GCCode
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCCode
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?id=
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=

It's a darn sight easier than some of the techniques folks have used in this thread.

Well, it's easy and it's WRONG! Off by about 411120!

Just trust the Fizzycalc :laughing:

Well, it's easy and it's WRONG! Off by about 411120!

Just trust the Fizzycalc :laughing:

Ilove this you guys are boggling my mind but enjoy the hunt i like the Fizzycalc :surprise:

I rather fancy #1234567 www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?id=1234567

That is a neat trick, thanks for sharing it.

I also have been watching the progress towards one million active caches. Sure, there are more than a million that have been placed, but it seems to me that the more important milestone is a million active caches, worldwide. Even though the number of active caches is fluid and may go up (as caches are published or enabled) or down (as caches are disabled or directly archived), the total net number never seems to go down.

I trust that geocaching will announce the accomplishment when it happens. It would, however, not be possible to deduce which cache made the number exactly 1,000,000 unless geocaching keeps a real time count. If they don't, which I doubt, this means that anyone who puts out a cache on the day when one million is achieved can claim that their cache was number 1,000,000. I will certainly try to place one that day. The more the merrier! :laughing: