Touched by a bug...

waypointazoid

My mother of 80 years was watching my wife and I logging TB's one day, and was curious. We explained to her what they were, and within days she brought a small "John Deere" biplane for us to send out as a bug. We did, and named it Maggie's Barnstormer. She wanted to have it sent to England to my cousin, and so off we sent it.

Maggie hadn't changed hands but about six times before it was in London. It got within blocks of my cousin, but he never managed to get it. (he is a muggle!) It finally fell into the hands of Coppers Lot, and I wrote him, asking him to send Maggie back to us. He did, and we struck up a friendship that, among other things, led to us setting up a bug exchange.

One day, a package came through the mail with several bugs. One caught my eye. It was a bulldog coin with a picture of an elderly couple attached (TB2QF6T). I pondered that picture for a long time... imagining what it would be like to have a life-long dedication to one mate that way. How meaningful your golden years would be if you stick together through the thick and thin like that. They were a beautiful couple, and I was inspired. I wrote these words in my log:

"This beautiful picture appeared out of nowhere! A lovely lady and a dashing gentleman! A majestic valley in the background! Four score years of grace in the person of a lovely couple gathering unto themselves in a suttle, affirming embrace that seems to say that forever is really possible if you believe in love! They gaze out over the enormous valley, as if reviewing a thousand shared memories! How amazingly meaningful! Oh no... I cannot let this one go! I must keep it. Because it is a reminder of sweet possibilities and the power of faithfulness...but then again, I know... I cannot keep this beauty to myself, it would be grossly selfish! I simply must pass it on, because this treasure will no doubt inspire someone, somewhere just as it has me, and it would be a sin to have them miss it! But I will remember this one as a tiny bit of delightful joy shared by my brethren from the old country! So for you, lil' travelbug, I will assist in your great escape into the new world! Live long, my little bug, and don't forget to write to your beautiful kin across the big blue pond!"

Today, I received an email from wemnog, who I believe is one of the couple's children:

"Hi, after your lovely words that you posted about Oriel and Ken's Great Escape-TB, which really made their day when they read it, I thought I'd just let you know that Dad passed away on 17th November.

Mum was so touched by your words that she printed them off and has sent them to all the relatives.

She loves to think that they are still travelling the world together in the form of this TB.

Thanks for keeping them travelling.

Keith

(Wemnog)"

Man... I was so emotionally moved by that!

I was saddened to hear of Ken's passing, but I was so glad that those simple words had such an important impact on someones life. It's moments like this one, that make geocaching magical!

I was saddened to hear of Ken's passing, but I was so glad that those simple words had such an important impact on someones life. It's moments like this one, that make geocaching magical!

Indeed. What a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

I love TBs that are a tribute to a family member or pet. I think they are a wonderful way to keep a spirit alive. Here is one that we put together for a good friend. She's got a watch on it (even though she isn't a geocacher) and when someone moves it, she always mentions that it means so much to her:

Shurfire

Nice one Don (Zoid)

I am amazed at how effective Geocaching is at bringing people from great distances together and developing friendships and relationships that can last an age.

I'd like to pass my condolances on to Kens family for their loss. You are in my thoughts with the coming Christmas period.

I am chuffed to see my name attached to such a lovely forum thread. Thank you Don.