"build in" geocaching stats in your profile

TeamVisser

What would make the geocaching.com Member ship even more valuable?

Having "build in" geocaching stats in your profile!

We all know the stats pages containing:

- founds per month

- milestones

- founds per owner

- difficulty vs terrain grid

- etc

It would be great if the geocaching.com site would offer these kinds of stats to the members.

No additional "caches found" download needed.

No processing on a site or in a program needed.

No additional uploading in your profile needed.

It can be all in the geocaching.com site.

Some "requirements":

- make each stat item selectable for the member (so he/she can decide which stats to show or not)

- the ability to refresh the stats one per day (for instance). Unlimited refreshes would probably give to much database load?

What do you think of it?

TeamVisser from the Netherlands

I agree!

In the meantime we have to use the 'My Finds' PQ and some program that produces the statistics.

When I wanted to add statistics to my own profile I didn't find any programs I could use on Linux so I made my own program. Now I have seen that there is at least one program available.

But I think it should still be possible to upload material to my profile even if statistics aren't necessary any more.

oh, goodness gracious, please, no!

all those charts and tables on people's profiles where they used to post a few pictures and maybe say a few words about themselves are a blight. anything that makes number contests easier and real thought more unusual should be avoided like cheeseburger at a bar mitzvah.

Yeah, I'm not in favor of this either. I find it very confusing and cluttered when looking at profiles with all kinds of info.

For me, I don't mind seeing a little info about someone, like favorite caches, some milestones, things like that, but I don't need to see most of the stuff people put on there.

Check out http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/ , I'm using that website you upload your "my finds" and it will output alot of info for you then your can copy and paste the html into your profile. You can choose what you want to see and what you don't want to see.

Arrgghhh.... that thing seems to blow up when I use it. I guess I have too many finds.

Actually I prefer the 'automatic' statistic sites. They give me a visual of my finds. I like the maps that show where I've been too.

Also, I try to add a few pics and stories to my profile page for those who are just a bit curious about who I am, and for my friends to see what I'm up to.

all those charts and tables on people's profiles where they used to post a few pictures and maybe say a few words about themselves are a blight.

People can still put pictures and words on their profiles in addition to stats. It's not an either-or situation.

I dont care about other people's stats and they dont care about mine but we all have a choice about how we want to portray ourselves. I'm not playing the numbers game but I still find some of those stats interesting and I keep them on my profile as it's a convenient place to save them.

I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it if that was easier to generate stats. Currently it's a multi-step operation and that situation excludes many people who might like to see what their own stats look like. Whether those stats end up in people'e public profiles should, of course, remain a personal decision.

What would make the geocaching.com Member ship even more valuable?

Having "build in" geocaching stats in your profile!

We all know the stats pages containing:

- founds per month

- milestones

- founds per owner

- difficulty vs terrain grid

- etc

It would be great if the geocaching.com site would offer these kinds of stats to the members.

No additional "caches found" download needed.

No processing on a site or in a program needed.

No additional uploading in your profile needed.

It can be all in the geocaching.com site.

Some "requirements":

- make each stat item selectable for the member (so he/she can decide which stats to show or not)

- the ability to refresh the stats one per day (for instance). Unlimited refreshes would probably give to much database load?

What do you think of it?

TeamVisser from the Netherlands

Concur. not all of us are rocket scientists and can make head nor tail out of GSAK!