My Sons TB Idea

Hildy Boys

My kids and I were talking about TBs this weekend and he had what I thought was a great idea.

He thought it would be cool if someone with a VW Bug had the travel bug design put on the whole car, so the body of the bug would be on the roof, and the legs would run down onto the corner panels. And then the license plate number would be the tracking number. Now wouldn't that be the coolest TB ever??

Then I was thinking about it, someone has to have thought of this at some point. I wonder if anyone has ever done it, tell you what it would be cool to see.

My kids and I were talking about TBs this weekend and he had what I thought was a great idea.

He thought it would be cool if someone with a VW Bug had the travel bug design put on the whole car, so the body of the bug would be on the roof, and the legs would run down onto the corner panels. And then the license plate number would be the tracking number. Now wouldn't that be the coolest TB ever??

Then I was thinking about it, someone has to have thought of this at some point. I wonder if anyone has ever done it, tell you what it would be cool to see.

The closest I've seen is this:

5-23-09%20051.jpg

I think there would be a concern on the part of Groundspeak due to copyright issues with the TB logo design. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I think there would be a concern on the part of Groundspeak due to copyright issues with the TB logo design. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Ya I was thinking that too, but I am wondering if someone could get permission to do this. Not sure why Groundspeak would have a problem with it. After all, the person would still have to buy the TB from them anyway!

Ya I was thinking that too, but I am wondering if someone could get permission to do this. Not sure why Groundspeak would have a problem with it. After all, the person would still have to buy the TB from them anyway!

True enough, but as it was explained to me- copyright owners that don't defend their copyright often find their intellectual property in the de facto public domain*. They may be okay with it. They might be willing to look the other way. Better to ask and be told no than to assume and suffer the drama.

*I'm no expert. Just repeating what I was told.

I don't think you would have a problem... IF you are not selling them or using it in a way detracting from the Geocaching image... etc. The rules seem to indicate that those uses require permission or are banned period. Best bet is use the contact address and ASK for clarification...

Doug

There is more than one VW out there with a large TB on it. And they are trackable. You would get the tracking number from Groundspeak. You could make one for personal use, not for sale without permission from Groundspeak. Read the logo usage guidelines. Groundspeak will indeed protect their copyright.

Non-commercial use

Groundspeak will hereby license the Groundspeak Geocaching logo for non-commercial products and non-commercial Web sites. In addition to complying with all of the following terms, any use of the logo requires an acknowledgment of their registered trademark status and, if the use is on a Web page, the logo must be used as a link to www.geocaching.com or www.Groundspeak.com. To request additional Groundspeak Geocaching Logo artwork, beyond that which is available here, please send email to logo@Groundspeak.com indicating where, how, and for what purpose you plan to use the image.

Acceptable non-commercial uses of the Groundspeak Geocaching Logo:

The Groundspeak Geocaching Logo may be used on non-commercial Web pages, where the context in which the Groundspeak Geocaching Logo is placed portrays Geocaching and Groundspeak in a positive light. You will need to include the following language in small text somewhere on the page where the Groundspeak Geocaching logo appears: "The Groundspeak Geocaching Logo is a registered trademark of Groundspeak, Inc. Used with permission." Please make the "Groundspeak, Inc." part of the statement a link to our home page (http://www.Groundspeak.com).

We are also willing to make allowances for those of you who have creative ideas and want to do something fun for your friends and fellow Geocachers. The Groundspeak Geocaching Logo may be used only on non-commercial items. These items may include, but are not limited to shirts, hats, coins, logbooks, stickers and cache containers. Additionally, the Groundspeak Geocaching logo may not be modified in any way. If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted. These items may not, under any circumstance, be sold. For larger numbers of items, please request permission by sending an email to logo@Groundspeak.com.