What got you into this crazy sport/hobby/obession?

mc3cats

I imagine this topic has likely been started some time in the past. If am I repeating it, I will start out with "Sorry".

If not, then its high time this subject is presented to the masses to comment on. So, why in the heck did you decide to get into Geocaching? Were you just bored and decided that finding Altoids containers under park benches sounded like fun? Or finding a small capsule like container with a piece of bark glued to the end of it and hidden in a small hole in a tree sounded exciting to you? OR you thought that sticking your hand into numerous dark hidey holes in a 500 foot rock wall was just as exciting as bungee jumping so you had to do it?

My story of how I got into the craze of Geocaching was quite by accident. You see, I was watching the History Channel (channel surfing until something caught my eye which was more like what really happened) when they aired the show on GPS technology. By the way, if it were not for President Clinton allowing civilian use for GPS technology, there would be no Geocaching. Anyway, as the show was cutting to a break, they did one of there factoids. The factoid was about GPS games, specifically about Geocaching. I immediately shut off the TV and got on the computer and found the web site. Searched my location and found the nearest geocache. The next day, I took my then 5 year old out on her bike to the park and made my first grab. I was hooked. I havent looked back. I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary in February. I currently have 551 finds at the time of this posting. I hope to get between 600 & 700 by my anniversary.

Along the way, I have met some neighbors who are also cachers, people I would likely have not met if it were not for Geocaching. Then theres the places I have been while caching. Thats another topic. Let just say that I thought I knew my area pretty well. However, I was wrong. I have been to so many "pocket parks" and explored some beautiful suburban parks that I just wouldnt have been to if it were not for the sport. I have enjoyed that part as much if not more than the wonderful folks I have met while geocaching.

So, thats my story. Its your turn. Type away.

Cache it Real Amigos!

Edited by mc3cats

:antenna: well i met a friend of mine one rainny day last year in November. I said i went to the supermarket to buy a milk. He was obviously wondering why i do shopping, just one milk, in this centre which is not close to my home.

my answer? U knw i need to go out even when it's rainning. Cant stay at home all day. Some people have a dog to walk him out in any weather. So i have to find an excuse for myeself to go out at least for a while.

He asked me if i've heard about geocaching. About what? :antenna:

his explanation: u knw it's an activity u can do it any time anywhere...u just go somewhere to sing a logbook and u can go home or find another cache. It's up to u. and u can do it internationaly (i travel a lot and live in different countries).

:antenna: sounds quite strange for me. What's the point to go somewhere to sign in and go home?

Then I went caching with him one day. Not bad but it didn't catch me to much. Until April i didn't have an account on geocaching website but i joined my freind sometimes, not too often as I live quite busy life and have many hobbies.

In April he convinced me to set up an account, anyway it's free u will see. Untill June i found about 90 caches mostly with him. Then during summer i didn't have time, travelled a lot and enjoyed summer in different ways.

In September i moved to Hungary. I dont speak hungarian and didnt have any friends here. Got a project to work on here. After a few days i remembered this activity. But i forgot my password. So i let the system sent it to my email. I was suprise that my account has 0 finds and was set up in September not in April but i didn't care too much. I tought i will do this just once a month so it didn't bother me at all.

I found friends here but they r not too active. So i do caching quite often, i like it more and more. Now i reached #60. My account changed its mind and it shows that ive been a member since April but it didnt put back my find for the first three months. Whatever.

Moving to the UK in January, will find my finds quickly as i knw where they are. ANd m not sure if i have as much time for caching in London as i have now. But m sure i will continue :antenna:

Last summer, I got a Garmin hand-held as a hunting accessory. (Marking stands, finding car, not getting lost, etc.)

In the course of getting it set up and finding maps, I discovered geocaching. It sounded interesting, so I created an account and looked up my area. Caches all over!

I picked a nearby one and went. It was an average-difficulty ammo box in the woods. The search was just enough exertion and challenge to be fun. Then there's the feeling of actually finding it and exploring the contents. I was hooked.

Someday someone will do a psychological study on the appeal of geocaching. They'll say that it generates brain activity in certain lobes, it mimics the behaviors of our primitive ancestors, and it releases certain hormones.

I imagine this topic has likely been started some time in the past. If am I repeating it, I will start out with "Sorry".

Yes. So much so, that this topic is drifting down the page with only 2 replies before mine. :antenna:

Just kidding, I enjoyed reading your story, and I'll tell mine again. I was looking up some totally useless information about a local municipality on the website www.epodunk.com and one of the links on the page was "find Geocaches near this City". I do not believe that website even has those links any more.

I can also remember stumbling on a mention of Geocaching on the web a few months earlier, but obviously didn't check it out in too much detail that time.

I was channel surfing recently and stumbled on a show where this guys takes you to the great outdoors and is filming everything the whole time. One of the segments was about Geocaching which I recognized by name but had no previous knowledge about. I couple of days later, I picked up a Geomate Jr and got the iPhone app. A few days after that I placed an order for a PN-40 which I'm waiting to arrive :-)

A couple friends suggested it. I'd read about it (and pretty much everything else) on Slashdot and it sounded pretty interesting, but I didn't have a GPSr. A friend did so we went out and found a few in a county park (which now has 50 or more.) I was pretty psyched about it and bought a GPSr within a few days and was on my way.

I did take a break for a few years, but got back into it after a serious cycling injury. Having a bit more fun with it as there are more people in it than in 2003.

Yes. So much so, that this topic is drifting down the page with only 2 replies before mine. :antenna:

Just kidding, I enjoyed reading your story, and I'll tell mine again. I was looking up some totally useless information about a local municipality on the website www.epodunk.com and one of the links on the page was "find Geocaches near this City". I do not believe that website even has those links any more.

But there *is* a cache in Podunk, NY

My caching partner was laying down, listening to the local radio station, thinking that whatever the talk show was about, would be conducive to napping. Not so!!! On came a couple of local cachers talking about the hobby/sport/addiction and less than a month later the first GPSr was in hand (Christmas present from my late Mum) as was the first cache.

Turns out I work with the wife of one of the guys on the radio!

Simple story for me. Was visiting some good friends (in the USA), who suggested we go geocaching. I had never heard of it. I like hiking, and we went in caching in a nice forest; we also did some suburban ones on another day. I enjoyed it, so decided to get a GPSr, and try it out myself in my local area. I'm still a newbie; and not a high numbers person (235 since April). For me, the main attraction is to get me out hiking more, I need the exercise! But I also have found interesting places in my local area which I never knew about before. And have met some nice new people through caching. My teenage daughters like it (or at least pretend to) as long as we don't walk to far. My wife thinks it's a bid odd, but harmless, and she likes me getting exercise. She just doesn't like the mud I tend to bring home! (Here in southern England, in the winter it is hard to avoid mud in the countryside).

I was already looking or things with my gps before I even heard about geocaching. I had a handheld Garmin for navigating in the airplane and used it in the car trying to find the ground antaneas for VOR recievers and the Outer Marker antanaes for instrument aproaches. That's when I learned all about the expression, "You can't get there from here!!!"

One day I just happened to see a stranger at the airport messing with his GPS and struck up a conversation thinking he was another pilot, but he didn't know anything about flying. He was just checking the altimeter on his new Garmin against the field elevation of the runway to see if it was anywhere near accurate. He told me about Geocaching and within 24 hours I was totally "Hooked" I swallowed the bait, hook, line, and sinker all in one gulp!! The rest is history.

Skyraider

I got started when setting up my wife’s new Nuvi. Saw the geocaching section on the Garmin site and checked it out. Saw a cache just down the road, loaded it, then another, then another...After about 50, ordered myself a handheld (Colorado 400t).

It is good family fun, and I cache with my son, a friend, and his boy. We have some good stories already, and expect many more. Now I just need a Jeep, a boat, etc. for those hard to reach spots.

In November of 2007 I was doing a google search on benchmarks. One of the links was to the benchmarks section of gc.com. I signed up on Nov 23rd, got my year end bonus in December and ordered a used Explorist 210 and found my first on December 20th. It was an ammo can in the woods behind a rest area. Took me a good 20-25 minutes since I had no idea what I was doing. Got home and took my oldest daughter out to find a re-purposed flashlight hanging in a tree.

Edited by jeffbouldin

Been geocaching for about two years now. I had heard of the game and discounted it at the time, too busy with work and other interests. Later my wife mentioned she had seen an article in "Reader's Digest" and mentioned it to me. I looked up and read the article and then did nothing more on the sport for about six months. One winter's day I went out and tried to find the cache nearest home. No luck but I did find the right hole in the side of the tree. I contacted the cache owner who stopped at the cache on the way home from work the next day and subsequently emailed me and told me to look again as the cache was in place. I went back and lo and behold found the container tucked away in the hole. That first find and a cache owner who cared got me hooked. I have yet to meet that geocacher but thanks to him I am quite active in this sport.

I used to be an avid walker, but seemed to have lost the habit in recent years, and, many years ago, I was into orienteering. So I pride myself on my map reading skills. As such I had little interest in SatNav or GPS, still preferring something printed on paper, and besides, there was always the fun of watching the wife trying to fold a map. :D

Then I got a cell phone with built in GPS, didn't use it much, except when on vacation in the USA. Got diverted off an Interstate in Indiana but never found any signs back to the Interstate, GPS saved the day. Had the same thing happen in Minnesota, Nebraska and Rhode Island. I think the USA is a great place but the road signage leaves something to be desired :D

When I upgraded my phone I got one with much better GPS and I also discovered how to put much better maps onto the phone. My doctor had been suggesting that I take more exercise because I'm putting on weight, so I started walking again. This time using British OS maps on my phone. I soon noticed that the altitude on the GPS was way out when compared to the OS map detail. Not surprising, I didn't think that the GPS system would use the same map datum as the Ordinance Survey. Out of interest I looked up GPS on Wikipedia to discover the GPS datum and found a link to Geocaching. That's how I got here.

Just wish I had found it a few years ago, I could have been caching in about 20 of the United States. Looked up some places that I have been and found caches right outside of hotels that I have stayed in and one just about 100 yards from my friend's house in Minnesota. :D These omissions will start to be put right with a visit to Virginia in May.

I'm nerdy enough to read Wired magazine on occasion these days, but back in 2000-2001, I read it religiously. They had an article about the invention of geocaching. I read the article and it sounded really cool. After reading the story, I started looking at websites about caching, seeing how many were placed near me. I remember thinking, after looking at the sparse number of caches available, "this sport will NEVER catch on" :D So, based on the lack of available caches and the price of GPS units, I basically forgot about the sport until I bought a Nuvi GPS for navigation in 2008.

When I bought the Nuvi, a voice from the past spoke up and I wondered if geocaching was still around. You can imagine my shock when I started looking into it again and saw that there were over 600,000 caches published and about a dozen in my own city. I haven't been the same since...

Bruce

I am a Scout leader and I was looking for something to teach other Scout leaders to show and do with their troops. I had heard about Geocaching years before, when GPSr were too expensive. Did some investigation for the class and found Geocaching.com. I decided that I should try it before I tried to teach it and now I have another hobby that I don't have time for.

Just before going in for surgery, i happened to see a Texas Monthly and one of the articles in there was about Geocaching. I had won a etrex yellow at a pipeline seminar and had only used it as a speedometer for our yerf-dog 3206. once we got started we were hooked. we have cached in a few states and have had a blast. met a few other cachers.

Edited by ladderman7

I had heard about geocaching from a previous employee but didn't really understand it then. Last summer, however, my mom gave me a Garmin Oregon 400t and my sister encouraged me to try it out. The first time out was so frustrating that I put the GPS up and promptly forgot about it till last weekend.

Got taken out (again by my sister) and actually made the first find. Decided it was an awesome way to get out and explore your surroundings (we all know how we take for granted the beauty of our own locales) as well as a great way to get outdoors exercising.

Bought a couple of Geomate Jrs. for each of my daughters and am excited to learn more.

Marcell

I believe I had heard about geocaching before this somewhere but I can't remember. But as for what *got me into* geocaching....

It all started just a little over two years ago in June of 2008. A friend had come over and we were hanging out in my bedroom. He happened to mention geocaching and asked had I heard of it. He told me about this website and we went to it.

At the time, he had found two with some of his friends around our town. I ended up creating my account on June 21, 2008 and found my very first cache exactly one week later on June 28th (that cache has long since been archived).

You guys make me feel horrible with your many finds in a relatively short period of time when I look at mine haha.

One thing I find funny is that, two years later, I'm still geocaching and the friend who got me into this in the first place apparently gave up not long after and stopped altogether after two finds. He hasn't even logged in since June 2008.

Not sure exactly WHERE we heard about it, but a couple months prior we had bought our Garmin Nuvi 255w for trips and vacations. We had tried it out many times, even taking it into the back roads in the Black Hills of SD. We were pretty impressed with it. Now we'll NEVER get lost, or so we thought.

Well, one afternoon after work the middle of last July, bored to tears, the wife says out of the blue; "What's that thing people do with GPS's and they go out and find things?" I said that I thought it was called Geo something. So, I went online, did a couple of Google searches, and ended up on this site. She registered an account, as did I, (both of us have separate computers) and we started looking around the site. I was just skimming around on the map, looking at the little green bricks, and picked one out at random. Not far from the house, and in a parking lot. (GC1T91X) The page said it was an easy one, something called a "park and grab", and that we would be looking for a bright orange match container.

Right.

We arrived on site, and the Nuvi takes us to the middle of the lot. About 10 feet from a light pole. Huh? There's no match container here, anywhere. So, we thought the GPS was off. We started looking in bushes, under rocks, landscaping islands 50 or more feet away, everywhere except the light pole. I mean, where do you hide something IN a light pole? We even had the thing in pedestrian mode, looking at the actual coordinate numbers changing as we walked around in circles. It kept pointing to the light pole. Frustrated, we went home.

The next day, I left work early. I was on a mission to find it. Went back to the spot, and looked some more with the trusty Nuvi. Again, I looked everywhere. Nothing. Now I'm really frustrated. Went on to work, and Googled "parking lot geocache" or something like that. Went to the images page and.... wham. There it was... the entire secret of Geocaching exposed on Google. Called the wife and told her where I KNEW it was. So, after work, we went back down. Lifted that thang up, and there it was in all its orange glory.

Fired up, we started looking for few more. Keep in mind, we still had the car Nuvi. After a couple days with that, and struggling to find a few, we decided to "invest" in a real geocacher's GPS. A cheepo yellow Etrex that was on sale for like 89 bucks.

So now, after 11 months, almost 600 finds (all logged under her account), around 28 active caches placed, and still using that yellow Etrex, here we are.

Can't think of a better way to spend our time together now. Sure beats sitting around "what do you wanna do?" "I dunno, what do YOU wanna do?"

LOL

Last summer a teacher's husband and two little kids stopped in to see mom at the school where I work. Emma and Ethan were SO EXCITED because daddy had just taken them geocaching, and they had picked up some toys from their third cache that week. Dad explained geocaching to me, and it sounded interesting. I went home and logged in, and found there was one just 2.8 miles from my house. An ammo can. (What the $^%* is an ammo can?) That weekend hubby and I used the TomTom to go find it. The next weekend we went out using a 10 year old hand held gps, which hubby could read, but I couldn't. Rather than listen to me whine, hubby got us an Oregon 550T, which made caching easier.

We were now hooked. Fall '09 would be the first fall in over 10 years we weren't traveling to soccer games, as our son just graduated from college. We would have lots of empty weekends with no where to go. Caching fit perfectly.

Now, almost 11 months later, I've logged almost 550 caches, 95% of them found with my husband. He finally broke down and created a log in when he wanted to hide a devious cache when I was out of town. And Emma and Ethan? Dad says that they've been caching but he hasn't logged his finds on line.... but he hasn't logged on since October 2009. Oh well.

If not, then its high time this subject is presented to the masses to comment on. So, why in the heck did you decide to get into Geocaching? Were you just bored and decided that finding Altoids containers under park benches sounded like fun? Or finding a small capsule like container with a piece of bark glued to the end of it and hidden in a small hole in a tree sounded exciting to you? OR you thought that sticking your hand into numerous dark hidey holes in a 500 foot rock wall was just as exciting as bungee jumping so you had to do it?

My story of how I got into the craze of Geocaching was quite by accident. You see, I was watching the History Channel (channel surfing until something caught my eye which was more like what really happened) when they aired the show on GPS technology. By the way, if it were not for President Clinton allowing civilian use for GPS technology, there would be no Geocaching. Anyway, as the show was cutting to a break, they did one of there factoids. The factoid was about GPS games, specifically about Geocaching. I immediately shut off the TV and got on the computer and found the web site. Searched my location and found the nearest geocache. The next day, I took my then 5 year old out on her bike to the park and made my first grab. I was hooked. I havent looked back. I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary in February. I currently have 551 finds at the time of this posting. I hope to get between 600 & 700 by my anniversary.

Along the way, I have met some neighbors who are also cachers, people I would likely have not met if it were not for Geocaching. Then theres the places I have been while caching. Thats another topic. Let just say that I thought I knew my area pretty well. However, I was wrong. I have been to so many "pocket parks" and explored some beautiful suburban parks that I just wouldnt have been to if it were not for the sport. I have enjoyed that part as much if not more than the wonderful folks I have met while geocaching.

Cache it Real Amigos!

Cache it Real Amigos!

A couple of years ago, my wife was running a Scout activity when a group came through the area and said they were looking for a geocache and sort of explained the game to her. They looked around for a while and eventually gave up and moved on. Later that day one of the scouts ran up to her with it! She related this story to me and it sat in the back of my head for the next year or so.

Fast forward to 5 weeks ago. I'm browsing through apps for the iPhone and I come across the geocaching app, notice that there is a free "lite" version and decide to give it a try. A week later, I purchase the full app. A week after that, I purchase a 60Csx!

The fact that my youngest daughter loves to go out with me makes it even easier to justify what is quickly becoming an obsession! [:mad:]

When I worked in an outdoor store a friend who I worked with was given the job of training me up on selling GPSrs. It was during this training session he explained geocaching to me. I went home that night and looked online, I went out to look for my nearest cache without a GPSr but couldn't find it in the dark, I returned in the daylight the next day and found it using the hint and local knowledge. I was hooked!

I first learned about geocaching when I saw a pamphlet for it at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake, NY in the summer of 2006. I thought how cool would that be? The upcoming Christmas, my wife surprised me with my first GPS (a Garmin Quest). I found 4 that holiday weekend, and then didn't do it again for the next 7 or 8 months, until I discovered how I could use my Palm to go paperless.

I asked for a GPS for Christmas because I bought a canoe to got out with the family. I thought it would be good to have on hand when I go to places I am not familiar with so that I could find my way back to the car. Anyway I got the GPS and started looking into things to do with it and wow geocaching, whats that? Looks cool. With a family I didn't want to drag them out without knowing what it was like. I then went out of town for work and decided to give it a try.

Much to my surprise there was a neat little park near the hotel I had stayed in many times. But I decided to go out for a couple that were real close to the hotel. The first one I couldn't find. It was at a dead end street with the smell of death on it. There was a corpse of a dead deer with it's leg ripped off, the corpse with exposed rib cage near by that may have been another deer. A bucket just off to the side of the road but still on the road that looked like it had a dead dog in it. It weirded me out and I left quickly.

Not sure why but I stuck with it and tried again. I left and went to another cache in a K-mart Parking lot. I thought that would be a little safer. I found a AOL cd tin painted a rust color with some bolt heads cut off and glued to it with magnets inside it and stuck to a lamp post. Looked a lot like a rusted access panel. The hidden in plain sight custom container really got me. I wasn't even sure it was it until I touched it and it slid. This really got me hooked. So the next ones were in a park near the hotel and the ammo can out in the woods with nature was truly excellent. I loved the park as I am also a bird watcher and loved all the birds I saw. Being in the woods and not having to watch my back as much was much more to my liking. I enjoy hidden in plain sight but only if I can find it quickly. I am too paranoid and impatient. In the woods I can look for, so far, up to 30 minutes and not get the feeling of urgency.

i was looking for an activity to do with my son for the summer. he loves being outside, and sea worl is just down the street, but i cant take him to sea world every day.

someone told me about geocaching. i checked it out. went on my first hunt and am now hooked.

Let's see...

I always wanted to be a navigator as a kid. Loved compasses and maps, so much so that I got a couple degrees around the use of them....

My mom was an Outward bound instructor and taught survival camping. I have a natural adventurous spirit. Never owned a GPSr and didn't know much about the sport until we got one. We got one becuase my husband wanted one for the car that talked to him (because he is not good with directions...that whole opposites attrack thing, i guess). Now my son and I use my husbands GPSr for a game/sport that I seemed to have been born to play :mad:

My husband was talking to a friend about GPS's and orienteering for Boy Scouts. Then, he mentioned we were going on vacation soon. So, GPS + vacation = geocaching! I checked out the website. We bought a cheap GPS and tried it out 2 couple of days before we left. Our left attempt, for a large cache, was a DNF (two years later it is still a DNF), but it didn't put us off. We were hooked and willing to develop our skills! Our first two successes were micros (go figure)! Of our family of 6, only 1 doesn't like to cache. He thinks this whole sport/hobby is boring, but he really has a "micro cache eye". He doesn't like sitting in the rig while the rest are out "beating the bushes", so is a reluctant participant.

I saw it on CSI back in 2002 - checked a couple out over the next couple of years, but there weren't many around. Then, in 2006, I suddenly had a ton of time on my hands - so I got back into it with a passion, and have stayed involved ever since.

I read an article in Red Eye (a publication put out by the Chicago Trib) sometime in early '06. I already had a GPS unit for the car, and thought getting a handheld and trying this "sport" might be kind of fun, especially considering the bike-ablility of Chicago. I was right, and even though no longer in Chicago, I'm still having fun.

I stumbled over it while surfing the WWW a couple years ago and thought it was a neat concept but finances at the time precluded me buying a GPS unit.

In May of this year my cell phone gave up the ghost so I needed a new one. I wanted a smartphone and settled on the HTC Touch Pro2. While looking for apps for it I found CGzII. Installed it and found when I ran a search for caches in the area I found that there was an event listed for the next day. Went to the event and was hooked. In the last month and a half, along with my grandsons, we have found 114 caches of differing types, have 5 FTFs and hid our first cache.

And to go along with the thread title, my son called one day and asked what we were doing, I told him we were out caching... he laughed and said, "OMG you are obsessed!" ;)

Technology brought me to caching. There is a podcast called "Stuff You Should Know" (which I highly recommend) and they did a whole podcast on Geocaching. I got online then I took the tomtom and figured out how to input coordinates and I went to a local park with a sheet of paper full of coordinates and hints and found several. I happened to take my husband and mother along and they loved it too. My mother then realized that her phone had a geocaching app, we downloaded the free version, and soon after paid for the full version. Then a mere week or two later we bought an Oregon 400t and a premium membership. We've been caching ever since (ok so not that long). We may not have a lot of numbers, but we always have a blast everytime we go out!

PS. The podcast has several errors in it's geocaching facts, just a warning! But at least they did the topic, their show is one of the most popular on iTunes! I know it at least turned me on to Geocaching!