No Coin

MysticTutor

Still learning here. If I find a cache that says it has a couple of trackables, but none are there, what is the most likely situation? Never there? Lost? Stolen? Pick up without logging?

Why is this so common? Some show that they were dropped off there 6 months ago. You think they would have shown up by now.

Edited by MysticTutor

:antenna: Never there? Lost? Stolen? Pick up without logging?

all of the above.

Coins especially are small enough that people grab them, drop them in the day bag, and simply forget.

Personally I've had decent luck with trackables. I've had a TB reappear after a couple of years absence; cacher who had dropped out of the game found it and gave it to a friend who was caching, and I've had a coin reappear after a year and half as well.

I've also had a coin move some and then get picked up by a 3 finds cacher who never logged onto the website again, and one make the exciting move to South Africa only to be picked up by a local who has never logged on again. I don't think these people are collecting coins, they simply don't quite understand that they aren't swag, and even if they do understand that, they've got other priorities besides geocaching.

A few years back TB tags tended to be attached to larger objects. Good for helping people notice/remember that they had them, but bad for finding caches to accept them. Now I notice that most TB tags are attached to small items, so the travelers can fit in small containers. Helps them move, but makes them easier to lose in a day bag.

You can make an assessment about whether or not a trackable item is likely to be in the cache by looking at that trackable's home page to see when it was (apparently) dropped off. If it was several months ago and the cache has had a good few finders since then, there's a good chance it might not be there. It may have been picked up by a previous finder who hasn't been caching since and has forgotten it's in their bag or perhaps a very new cacher picked it up and they're not sure about how to correctly log the pick-up and subsequent drop-off... There are plenty of scenarios to explain why trackables 'disappear'.

When you visit a cache and the trackable listed isn't in the box the most useful thing you can do is to put a note in your cache log to say that "Whateverthename was not in the cache" so that the cache owner knows and also a similar note on the trackable's own page so that the TB/geocoin owner is made aware that it might have gone missing.

MrsB

When you visit a cache and the trackable listed isn't in the box the most useful thing you can do is to put a note in your cache log to say that "Whateverthename was not in the cache" so that the cache owner knows and also a similar note on the trackable's own page so that the TB/geocoin owner is made aware that it might have gone missing.

MrsB

I didn't want to start a new thread, so let me ask this here.

How do the contents of a cache get updated, as far as trackables go?

So, if I find that a trackable is not in the cache - is there some way for me to report/update it so that when the next person searches for caches in the area, they don't have to open and read through the logs to see it is missing?

Can only the cache owner do that? I can't seem to figure out a way to do so.

I'm brand new and I'm just asking as many questions as I can to make sure I know what the heck I'm doing before I do something wrong.

MrsB

So, if I find that a trackable is not in the cache - is there some way for me to report/update it so that when the next person searches for caches in the area, they don't have to open and read through the logs to see it is missing?

I'm brand new and I'm just asking as many questions as I can to make sure I know what the heck I'm doing before I do something wrong.

It is quite possible that someone picked it up and didn't log it yet. But if it is obvious that the trackable is gone and hasn't been logged anywhere for a long time, the trackable owner or the cache owner can mark it as missing.

Send an e-mail to both and let them take care of it. A responsible cache owner or traveler owner will mark it missing if the situation warrants.

MrsB

Even though you didn't see a traveler in the cache it may not have been logged yet. Just mention in your cache log that you didn't see it. From there the owners can determine if enough time has pasted to decide it needs to be removed. Both the bug/coin and cache owner can mark it as missing.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Very cool, thanks for the tips.

Now, a related question. When I buy some trackables and start placing them - I'll be responsible for marking which cache they're currently in?

So, user ABC says they picked it up - I need to keep an eye on that user and see where they drop it, then somewhere note the new cache it is in, which will update it's location in search results?

Thanks again

So, user ABC says they picked it up - I need to keep an eye on that user and see where they drop it, then somewhere note the new cache it is in, which will update it's location in search results?

Nope, it’s easier than that. When they drop the trackable into its next cache, they can choose which Bug it was, from the list of trackables they've picked up, called “Dropped off any Travel Bugs?”, when they do their online log. It's the same process you'll use when you place your new TB or coin. The web site updates the distance and other info. You’ll get an email notice. But you don’t have to keep track of it yourself.

Edited by kunarion

Very cool, thanks for the tips.

Now, a related question. When I buy some trackables and start placing them - I'll be responsible for marking which cache they're currently in?

Thanks again

The only thing you have to do is buy the trackable, use the activation code 'bring it to life' and thus add it to your own inventory of owned trackables. You then place it into your chosen cache and do the on-line drop off...

From then on you just sit back and enjoy the 'retrieved' and 'placed' logs as you receive them.

MrsB

Okay, I think I get it now. :laughing:

Say I pick up this guy:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?w...60-5d221e6dd4c4

I'd select "Retrieve from Here a critter, there a critter" from the drop down menu. That puts it in my account.

Right now when I look at a cache log, I see no option to drop it off. Would I be correct in assuming that option will appear once I've done the step above?

Say I pick up this guy:

I'd select "Retrieve from Here a critter, there a critter" from the drop down menu. That puts it in my account.

Right now when I look at a cache log, I see no option to drop it off. Would I be correct in assuming that option will appear once I've done the step above?

Once you Retrieve a bug it will be in your Drop inventory. When you place it, Post a Found it log on the cache and before you hit submit scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the bug to be Dropped. Submit.

More here: How to log a travel bug.

Say I pick up this guy:

Yes, once you have the traveler in your inventory, you'll have the option to drop it(another dropdown menu containing all the trackables in your inventory). When logging your find you may have to scroll down on the page to see the dropdown menu. If you're dropping more then one, hold "ctrl" and click each of them, you can drop several at once

Excellent. You all have been super helpful.

I've downloaded the iPhone app, which should help a bit I gather. I know several people that work at Groundspeak via my girlfriend, so I've been listening to them talk about this enough that I was intrigued.

Now, I'm off to get hooked on this game!