Forgotten Caches

MysticTutor

I keep coming across caches that are missing. The owner has not logged in in about a year. 5 or more people log DNF. What is the next step? Should it be reported someplace??

Thats when it's a good time to log "needs archived".

You will find it in the drop down list for logging a cache.

Will that notify somebody other than the owner?

It will be flagged for reviewer action.

I will do that then. Thanks.

Sort of on the same lines. When it is archived why do they still show up on searches? They are gray or lined out, but they still show. What is the point of showing where one once was?

Archived caches don't show up on searches. Disabled caches do. There is a difference. Archiving means the cache is dead and gone from this site. Disabled means that the cache owner intends to fix it soon. Granted some owners never get around to fixing the cache and in those instances a Needs Archived is warranted. If it is disabled for more than a few months (without good reason) then the cache should be archived and a Needs Archived log will alert the reviewer.

Archived caches don't show up on searches. Disabled caches do. There is a difference. Archiving means the cache is dead and gone from this site. Disabled means that the cache owner intends to fix it soon. Granted some owners never get around to fixing the cache and in those instances a Needs Archived is warranted. If it is disabled for more than a few months (without good reason) then the cache should be archived and a Needs Archived log will alert the reviewer.

I would actually LIKE to be able to query archived caches. I have only been caching about 8 months and we are beginning to hide caches of our own. I would like to know if there used to be a cache in a placde that I think is cool (and suspect others would also) because I know that things may have happened at this site in the past of which I am unaware. I have tried to query a location where I have been told there USED to be a cache, but I cannot get any results. Can it be done, and if so, how? I have had success if I actually knew what the old GC# is, so that leads me to believe that the data is still stored somewhere...

There's one a few miles away from here I'm going to try to keep alive as it's a 2001 cache and has a string of DNFs. I'm on vacation next week and will get to the park and put in a replacement if the CO doesn't mind. I think the CO has moved out of the area, which is why it's gone slack.

You should get in touch with the current CO and ask about adopting the cache, especially if you're able to take care of the cache more than they can...

we have 3 around our area that has been missing for awhile and alo of dnfs

emailed the co and finally he emailed back and said i could adopt them

if i wanted too but when i sent him the link and what he needed to do he said he didnt have time and has never returned another message i have the email he sent me saying i could adopt them can anything be done higher up with that.

just wondering

I would actually LIKE to be able to query archived caches. I have only been caching about 8 months and we are beginning to hide caches of our own. I would like to know if there used to be a cache in a placde that I think is cool (and suspect others would also) because I know that things may have happened at this site in the past of which I am unaware. I have tried to query a location where I have been told there USED to be a cache, but I cannot get any results. Can it be done, and if so, how? I have had success if I actually knew what the old GC# is, so that leads me to believe that the data is still stored somewhere...

I've thought the same thing. Maybe I'll start a new post on the topic to see if anybody knows if there's a way to do that.

if i wanted too but when i sent him the link and what he needed to do he said he didnt have time and has never returned another message i have the email he sent me saying i could adopt them can anything be done higher up with that.

just wondering

There is no official policy on this, but you could try e-mailing Groundspeak with your evidence and see what they will do. You never know unless you try!

just wondering

Don't know if the local reviewer would help get TPTB to adopt them over based only on an email from the CO to you (you could try!) but maybe it would be better to post a NA on them and then when they have been removed, you can place your cache in the vacated spot.