The Original Micro!

geocoinclub

The Geocoin Club has always provided a tradition of celebrating the new year with a functional geocoin. We started small, with the ROT13 Decoder. A coin you could take into the field to decrypt ROT13 on the fly.

gccjan061.jpggccjan062.jpg

The 2nd year found us wanting to stretch ever further, so we hired an engineer and designed a RangeFinder. And yes, it works in the field to find distance.

gccjan071.jpggccjan072.jpg

So we were tired, and thought we deserved a break. And we made the easiest functional geocoin.

gccjan2008se-1-01.jpggccjan2008se-1_01-01.jpg

2009 rolled around, and we went high tech. With an LED Nametag, which quickly became the envy of all the event goers around.

product1.gif

Which brings us to 2010. And the need to stretch even further. So a team effort brought about the latest and greatest functional coin:

1c6eb48d-7da5-4b6b-81dd-49f18fda97a3.jpg

Yes, you're seeing things right. It's a trackable film canister, because it's got a trackable FILM CAP on it!

c92919cd-2229-4944-bd6c-c7f20df0d3c5.jpg

The greatest challenge was reproducing the attachment system, since on a plastic film cap it's flexible. Hard to make a flexible piece of metal. :) After many iterations, the team created a tooth system to keep it snugly attached to a film can, and allow an easy on, easy off feature.

We hope you like this design. It's currently only available to our coin club subscribers. Anyone who is signed up now, or signs up in December will get this coin as their first design. We'd like to make a store version or two, but that would be down the road a ways.

GCC

Which brings us to 2010. And the need to stretch even further. So a team effort brought about the latest and greatest functional coin:

1c6eb48d-7da5-4b6b-81dd-49f18fda97a3.jpg

Yes, you're seeing things right. It's a trackable film canister, because it's got a trackable FILM CAP on it!

c92919cd-2229-4944-bd6c-c7f20df0d3c5.jpg

The greatest challenge was reproducing the attachment system, since on a plastic film cap it's flexible. Hard to make a flexible piece of metal. :antenna: After many iterations, the team created a tooth system to keep it snugly attached to a film can, and allow an easy on, easy off feature.

We hope you like this design. It's currently only available to our coin club subscribers. Anyone who is signed up now, or signs up in December will get this coin as their first design. We'd like to make a store version or two, but that would be down the road a ways.

GCC

I see soggy logs in everyones future! :antenna:

Nice idea, but now when someone takes the trackable cap, the canister will be left for the elements... it's hard to get folks to replace a log when it needs it, but now a cap? :antenna: am I missing something?

This is very very cool ! But I wonder how I am going to fit a film canister in my coin binder...

yeah yeah I know I only put the lid in, but just think of the challenge...

hehe Tis would be one of the few coins that I would have sitting outside my binder, on top of a film can, just to show off what it can do. :D A few of my other coins are too big for the sheets I use. :rolleyes:

Wonder why I never saw tis thread before ? I am a member, so I'll be getting tis one soon I hope. :) Can't wait! Just wish it would be here by Friday so I can take it with me to Paris, AR Cache Ca$h Dash Bash event. hehe