New rock climbing cache

Cav Scout

What more of a control freak could one be than to have special, personal, guidelines placed to assure that a signature on the log sheet was actually signed by the person whose signature appears on the cache log?

What next, DNA testng on logsheets that must be signed in blood?

I can't see the necessity to be this petty. Really, it's an UNIMPORTANT game.

If you don't like hard caches, then stick to 1/1 park and grabs. As the old saying goes, nobody is forcing you to find all caches. The one and only finder of my cache Tactical Adventure 1 (Tree-o-cache) had one heck of a great story. If Groundspeak continues on this welfare entitlement mentality that observers watching from the ground deserve a find for "being there," many extreme cache hiders will quit hiding caches.

remember reading a thread where an owner of an extreme cache had an interesting solution. His solution was to ask finders to post an image of themselves at the location of the cache.

Under the new ALR guidelines the picture requirement would probably not stand if the cache is a traditional. That was generally used for virtuals and is still used for earthcaches.

Nobody was denied a find, even if they stood on the ground and had someone else find the cache, and sign their names for them. It is no different than people receiving welfare checks, even though the didn't earn the check.

Edited by Kit Fox

What more of a control freak could one be than to have special, personal, guidelines placed to assure that a signature on the log sheet was actually signed by the person whose signature appears on the cache log?

What next, DNA testng on logsheets that must be signed in blood?

I can't see the necessity to be this petty. Really, it's an UNIMPORTANT game.

I have always been told...

"Don't pet the sweaty things"...really, if it is that unimportant...does it matter what the cache owner did with the cache...afterall, it is their cache to place as they see fit...

If they want to do something that "guarantees" cachers will have the intended experince...than so be it...as far as I can tell, the only issue the cache had at all was the verbage used in the description (as was pointed out by Keystone)...and that seems to have been worked out and accepted by the reviewers...

I have already accepted the fact that there a number of caches that I will not be able to claim a find on...and I am ok with that...

To the Cache Owner...congrats on the published cache!!!

With all due respect, I think that Kit Fox "gets it" on the one hand, but is kind of missing the point on the other.

IMO, a brilliant cache placement should speak for itself. KF's and CS's examples are clearly brilliant, andcan clearly stand on their own, without any yada, yada, or contrived restrictions.

From my perspective, if a cache owner has to include phrases like "you must", or "you are required to", that really sounds like a failure of imagination. Loose all the blah, blah, blah, and replace with "have fun" and "be safe".

Well done CS and congrats on a truly spectacular looking placement. Those iscicles look they'll rain down certain death though :P :0

We find a location that is focused on rock climbing and hide a 5 star cache there, do you think there would be a problem with getting the cache listing approved?

Permission from property owner granted with provided phone number.

Climbing waivers at the beginning of trailhead to cache.

All special equipment listed.

The cache is a 80 foot rappel to cache hide or a 40 foot ascent once you hook the ropes in.

Cache is secured to rock wall "40" plus feet above the ground.

Currently there is a problem with the cache reviewer and logging the actual cache. They are concerned with log deletions for cachers who sit at the bottom of the cliff and watch and log the find without attempting getting to the cache location.

Listing says you must reach and sign the log yourself to get a find.

Any input? I am open to suggestions.

You should have made this an EarthCache...then I might have went after it!

I have always been told...

"Don't pet the sweaty things"...really, if it is that unimportant...does it matter what the cache owner did with the cache...afterall, it is their cache to place as they see fit...

If they want to do something that "guarantees" cachers will have the intended experince...than so be it...as far as I can tell, the only issue the cache had at all was the verbage used in the description (as was pointed out by Keystone)...and that seems to have been worked out and accepted by the reviewers...

I have already accepted the fact that there a number of caches that I will not be able to claim a find on...and I am ok with that...

To the Cache Owner...congrats on the published cache!!!

Well said! :P

Thank you :)

With all due respect, I think that Kit Fox "gets it" on the one hand, but is kind of missing the point on the other.

IMO, a brilliant cache placement should speak for itself. KF's and CS's examples are clearly brilliant, andcan clearly stand on their own, without any yada, yada, or contrived restrictions.

From my perspective, if a cache owner has to include phrases like "you must", or "you are required to", that really sounds like a failure of imagination. Loose all the blah, blah, blah, and replace with "have fun" and "be safe".

Well done CS and congrats on a truly spectacular looking placement. Those iscicles look they'll rain down certain death though :P :0

The Muir Valley Cliff Hanger cache was published :):D:santa: !

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a2-0f6ba43ccc16

This is good news for "behind the camera" and myself. We realize the cache won't bring in to many finders because of the remote pristen location in the heart of the Red River Gorge rock climbers paradise, Muir Valley, but we know the people who do come to find the cache will enjoy the climb and beauty of the area.

There is a group of cachers I know of who look for hides like this. We plan on placing a few more challenging caches out there for everyone to enjoy :P .

I see that the cache is now published, thanks to helpful clarifications provided by the cache owner. The refinements permitted many cache reviewers worldwide to support publication. Many of them really liked the challenging cache. In fact, a reviewer from Canada gave it an "eh."

Enjoy the logs.

GC # ?

Which group is that?? :santa::santa::grin:

Its the group of extreme cachers from out east that have sparked my interest in placing decent caches again :) !

You guys rock!

The Muir Valley Cliff Hanger cache was published :D:santa::santa: !

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a2-0f6ba43ccc16

This is good news for "behind the camera" and myself. We realize the cache won't bring in to many finders because of the remote pristen location in the heart of the Red River Gorge rock climbers paradise, Muir Valley, but we know the people who do come to find the cache will enjoy the climb and beauty of the area.

There is a group of cachers I know of who look for hides like this. We plan on placing a few more challenging caches out there for everyone to enjoy :P .

I see that the cache is now published, thanks to helpful clarifications provided by the cache owner. The refinements permitted many cache reviewers worldwide to support publication. Many of them really liked the challenging cache. In fact, a reviewer from Canada gave it an "eh."

Enjoy the logs.

GC # ?

Which group is that?? :santa::grin::grin:

It already is an EarthCache called Washboard Wall :yikes: .

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...db-9695211f57b0

There are 11 active EarthCaches in Muir Valley and more coming once the new EarthCcahe sysytem is active :laughing::surprise::anicute: .

We will be waiting for you!

You should have made this an EarthCache...then I might have went after it!

I've got the lower two thirds of Indiana left before I finish their Delorme..looks as though I need to make a slight incursion into Kentucky. Kentucky is truely an EarthCacher's paradise!

And if you do a little more "sleuthing" you will find we have them even closer than 75 feet in Kentucky :laughing: . Kentucky is that good...

"Kentucky is truely an EarthCacher's paradise!"

Yup, looks like they have them every 528' in some areas. :surprise:

Just a minute, my friend from North Carolina, you are being a bit generous on the distance. Try checking here. :anicute:

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

There are quite a few climbing/rappelling caches here in CT. There are even climbing events where people climb together and experienced climbers (years of experience) teach others about it.

When people around here find the caches, it's often done in a group, with people spending the day climbing different routes. It's more about climbing with friends rather than simply finding a cache, though people find the cache at that time.

For the actual event, (before the ALR change) the owner didn't want to force people to do something where they might have a problem just to sign the log, so he put the event log at the bottom of the cliff and let people sign in there if they felt they couldn't do the climb/rappel.

Editing to add that I'm not sure why there would be differences in publishing between areas as long as the caches meet the guidelines.

Just to clarify/add to Skippermarks comments.

There are so many climbing/rappelling caches here in CT that the local CT caching website awards a 'binerhead' medal for every 5 that you've find/attend!

For one event (GC177JW) there are two components. First, there is a logbook for the event which you can sign just for attending - as he mentioned, you don't actually have to climb or rappel. Just attend and hang out with us. For the second part, there is a rappeling cache (GC15K9A) on the cliff where the event is held. It's a multi and the container on the cliff has coordinate information to find the final where the log book is located. In reality, people sign the logbook standing on level ground.

And congratulations on getting you cache published!!! However, I notice that you used my copyrighted caching handle as part of your cache's name. While very flattering, I'm afraid that my lawyers, "Dewey, Cheatem & Howe", will be contacting you :D

cliff_hanger®

And if you do a little more "sleuthing" you will find we have them even closer than 75 feet in Kentucky :D . Kentucky is that good...

Kentucky is truly the EarthCachers heaven and the gate to heaven is the Red River Gorge! There is one excellent EC after another. Maybe not all of them are within .1 mile, but in the area of the Gorge you will find 50 or so ECs within 15 miles! :D

Since the cache has your name on it, you will have to come to the Red River Gorge and sign the log. You can go the the world famous Miguels afterwards.

There are quite a few climbing/rappelling caches here in CT. There are even climbing events where people climb together and experienced climbers (years of experience) teach others about it.

When people around here find the caches, it's often done in a group, with people spending the day climbing different routes. It's more about climbing with friends rather than simply finding a cache, though people find the cache at that time.

For the actual event, (before the ALR change) the owner didn't want to force people to do something where they might have a problem just to sign the log, so he put the event log at the bottom of the cliff and let people sign in there if they felt they couldn't do the climb/rappel.

Editing to add that I'm not sure why there would be differences in publishing between areas as long as the caches meet the guidelines.

Just to clarify/add to Skippermarks comments.

There are so many climbing/rappelling caches here in CT that the local CT caching website awards a 'binerhead' medal for every 5 that you've find/attend!

For one event (GC177JW) there are two components. First, there is a logbook for the event which you can sign just for attending - as he mentioned, you don't actually have to climb or rappel. Just attend and hang out with us. For the second part, there is a rappeling cache (GC15K9A) on the cliff where the event is held. It's a multi and the container on the cliff has coordinate information to find the final where the log book is located. In reality, people sign the logbook standing on level ground.

And congratulations on getting you cache published!!! However, I notice that you used my copyrighted caching handle as part of your cache's name. While very flattering, I'm afraid that my lawyers, "Dewey, Cheatem & Howe", will be contacting you :D

cliff_hanger®

You could rock climb to cache. The cache is hidden on the rock climbing practice wall. Nothing like the picture though :laughing:

No, no, no....that's a Rappelling Cache. This is a Rock Climbing Cache :D

separatereality1.jpg

Looks like a blast, albeit a bit chilly. I'm wondering how long would it take to feel my fingers again after hanging on a rope looking for the cache for that long :):laughing:

We find a location that is focused on rock climbing and hide a 5 star cache there, do you think there would be a problem with getting the cache listing approved?

Permission from property owner granted with provided phone number.

Climbing waivers at the beginning of trailhead to cache.

All special equipment listed.

The cache is a 80 foot rappel to cache hide or a 40 foot ascent once you hook the ropes in.

Cache is secured to rock wall "40" plus feet above the ground.

Currently there is a problem with the cache reviewer and logging the actual cache. They are concerned with log deletions for cachers who sit at the bottom of the cliff and watch and log the find without attempting getting to the cache location.

Listing says you must reach and sign the log yourself to get a find.

Any input? I am open to suggestions.

Sounds like you've got a great set up. I've been thinking of something similar -- where you had to actually sign the log to get credit -- but I'll be looking for a climb with an overhang so it must be climbed, not rapped down.

Can you tether the log book to it's container somehow so it can't be lowered?

I think it's ridiculous for people to sit around waiting for someone else to find a cache/do all the hard work, then everybody logs it as a find. This is why I cache solo. :rolleyes:

Edited to add: I see that you do have it tethered. If this is a 5 star cache, and the difficulties/requirements are clearly listed, why would anyone think they can just sit on the ground then log the find? That's a ridiculous form of caching.

Edited by mountainman38

As a rock climber, my take is that it takes a team to do a climb - climber and belayer. They are both needed to safely climb, so both should be able to sign the log even if only the 'climber' touched the container.

Belayers don't get to claim a hard route as theirs, just because they watched their partner climb it. Why should caching be different?

This is sort of like someone watching a climber claw his/her way up a new 5.14, then claiming they sent it because they saw the top.

Really, if someone puts out the effort of actually making the climb for a cache, they should have the reward of getting to sign the log. There's always top belay for the guy on the bottom, or the climbers could switch positions as is the norm.

My stance has always been.... "Who cares" when it comes to whether or not the cache log was signed by the cacher or his buddy, as long as they were there when it was signed.

I understand that people want to make it nearly impossible for most to actually "find" their cache (for whatever reason, only the cache owner knows) but it's just a cache. IMHO, geocaching is about cachers knowing a cache exists while the rest of the world doesn't.

Making a cache signature more difficult is nothing more than being a control freak (again IMHO).

Personally, I don't care if one person signs for all as long as the signature is of a person who was actually on the caching trip at the time. That includes the possibility of someone in a wheelchair sitting in the geovehicle getting a find on my cache when they watched their friend sign my cache.

I would only delete a log if someone obviously didn't visit my cache. If they said "I drove by and there was a cache there but I was in a hurry and didn't stop" I would probably delete their "find". If they said "I'm a little short to reach the cache so my brother signed for me while he was up there" the log would stand.

It's all about having fun. I will always err on the side of having fun.

Someone goes to the time to design a very challenging cache, put it in place, carefully spell out what the cache is and the requirements for logging are, and you call them a "control freak"?! Yes, it's your opinion, but you're using some strong language in a rather affrontive way.

If you don't care for a hard cache that requires each finder to physically sign the log, then pass on it. Please don't degrade the experience for those of us who both relish a challenge, and take pride in doing our own work.

Someone goes to the time to design a very challenging cache, put it in place, carefully spell out what the cache is and the requirements for logging are, and you call them a "control freak"?! Yes, it's your opinion, but you're using some strong language in a rather affrontive way.

If you don't care for a hard cache that requires each finder to physically sign the log, then pass on it. Please don't degrade the experience for those of us who both relish a challenge, and take pride in doing our own work.

The requirements for online logging for every physical cache is the exact same. Either the individual's name is in the physical logbook or the cache owner agrees that a find was made. Any other requirements (such as a photo of someone with the cache), are not in compliance with the guidelines.

Psst-read the guidelines for logging a cache at geocaching.com.

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

The guidelines for claiming a climb at mountainclimbing.com may be different. I wouldn't know.

But if my name is in that log book, then I can claim a find on a cache listed here.

It's really that simple.

If the logging practices of others degrades your personal geocaching experience then you should reconsider your priorities.

Edited by wimseyguy

These caches sound like a lot of fun. I may buy some climbing equipment with my bonus or tax return this year and take some classes. :rolleyes:

Frankly I like cav-scout's take on logging. I get a bit irritated by cachers piling on and signing the log on difficult caches even though they did no work to make the find, whether it be a mental or physical challenge, my cache or someone else's. Stick to your guns Cav!

The guidelines for claiming a climb at mountainclimbing.com may be different. I wouldn't know.

But if my name is in that log book, then I can claim a find on a cache listed here.

It's really that simple.

i'm afraid that you are not caching within the 'spirit and morals' of geocaching. Neither are you complying with the guidelines.

The cache owner clearly states the caching criteria and grades the cache accordingly.

I have a number of extreme caches set up in the U.K and initially they were logged by those 'holding the torch, holding the rope or being there' !

The only deserving cache loggers are those who either personally made the physical effort to reach and sign the log in situ, or replace it.

I now only allow these logs and delete all others.

A few years ago one of my caches was logged by a cacher who stated in his log that he was unable to reach the cache. It was a premium member only cache and he had sent his young son up [non member] to get it [father was too rotund] The attempt involved climbing through a narrow opening and then scaling the inside of a chimney 60ft to a ledge then traversing around the exposed edge to reach the cache.

I had actually stated on the cache pages and attributes that the cache was unsuitable for children but he still logged the cache ! [which I subsequentely deleted]

He was lucky he wasn't reported to the authorities !

Please be in no doubt that caches who do not comply with the owners guidelines should have their logs deleted oh and they should be 'labeled' as trying to cheat the system in owners notes.

Happy New Year

:rolleyes::D

i'm afraid that you are not caching within the 'spirit and morals' of geocaching. Neither are you complying with the guidelines.

Care to point me to the link at geocaching.com where those spirit and morals clauses are posted?

I have already posted the link with the logging guidelines. :rolleyes:

Edited to add-it's really so much easier to read posts when you don't break the quote codes. :D

Edited by wimseyguy

It's really that simple.

I'm afraid that you are mistaken.
The cache owner clearly states the caching criteria and grades the cache accordingly.
The bolded bit is incorrect, as it relates to whether an online find is appropriate.
I have a number of extreme caches set up in the U.K and initially they were logged by those 'holding the torch, holding the rope or being there' !

The only deserving cache loggers are those who either personally made the physical effort to reach and sign the log in situ, or replace it.

Perhaps TPTB should take a closer look at your caches to ensure that they meet the guidelines.
A few years ago one of my caches was logged by a cacher who stated in his log that he was unable to reach the cache. It was a premium member only cache and he had sent his young son up [non member] to get it [father was too rotund] The attempt involved climbing through a narrow opening and then scaling the inside of a chimney 60ft to a ledge then traversing around the exposed edge to reach the cache.

I had actually stated on the cache pages and attributes that the cache was unsuitable for children but he still logged the cache ! [which I subsequentely deleted]

Please be in no doubt that caches who do not comply with the owners guidelines should have their logs deleted oh and they should be 'labeled' as trying to cheat the system in owners notes.

Happy New Year

This is not 'a couple of years ago.' Caches that met teh guidelines a few years ago do not necessarily meet them today. Edited by sbell111

It's really that simple.

If the logging practices of others degrades your personal geocaching experience then you should reconsider your priorities.

"But if my name is in that log book, then I can claim a find on a cache listed here.

It's really that simple."

The guidelines say, "Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed."

Yep, it doesn't say YOU have to sign the physical log!

Well I guess there are different interpretations of the rules especially if you are just after numbers!

Technically, you are absolutely right, but it is obvious that the cache owner's wishes mean nothing to you! Do you really think it's fair to send some poor soul across the croc-infested river or to climb a mountain or to crawl 2 miles in a dark, wet cave just to bring you the logbook? I guess if they are dumb enough to do it, it's OK. Better yet, tell them not to swim back across the river or climb down the mountain or crawl back out of the cave, just tell them to sign for you.

When you say, " But if my name is in that log book.....", does that literally mean what you said? In other words, it doesn't matter who signed your name to the log book? Isn't that another way of interpreting the guidelines! Heck, carrying out your literal interpretations of the guidelines, someone can sit on the couch and let another cacher sign! Maybe, but different strokes (priorities) for different folks!

P.S. I am not in any way, shape or form suggesting that you do these things and you probably do not, but these approaches can be intrepretations of when you can claim a find. :rolleyes:

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

It's really that simple.

The bolded bit is incorrect, as it relates to whether an online find is appropriate.

Perhaps TPTB should take a closer look at your caches to ensure that they meet the guidelines.

Happy New Year

This is not 'a couple of years ago.' Caches that met teh guidelines a few years ago do not necessarily meet them today.

So your view is what exactly ? as a 'charter' member we really look forward to your constructive comments !!

No, no, no....that's a Rappelling Cache. This is a Rock Climbing Cache :rolleyes:

separatereality1.jpg

You're right, there's a big difference between "recreational" rappelling and rock climbing.

Here is a good example of a real rock climbing cache that can't be done by simply rappelling down to it.

As wimseyguy correctly points out the rules for logging a cache find on Geocaching.com and what's normal for claiming an ascent of a rock climb are different.

Wow, gone for the day and look at what happens!

I was reconning a new cache location out at Muir Valley and found another awesome location.

Each cache hide in Muir Valley can be Rock Climbed too, or Sport Rappelled from above. The new location is a 20 foot rappel onto a rock ledge, or a 80 foot climb from the bottom, you choose.

About signing the log book. Each cache container I hid is secured to a secure object. The log book is secured/glued to the inside of the cache. This will prevent bogus logs. I think everyone should enjoy the fun and not be a standerby wanting a find on everyone elses hard work :) .

I already have one cacher bragging they beat the challenge on one of my cache hides, but I think they had someone hand them the log book, which is fine. This is a tree cache I hid for my girl friend. They claim to have used a 21 foot ladder to reach a 25 foot high cache :D . Guess they had to stand on the last step of the ladder. Didnt even take any pictures, hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Considering the finder is about 5'2, I think thats incredible or a tall tale :D . You decide B) .

They claim to have used a 21 foot ladder to reach a 25 foot high cache...

Putting aside the veracity of the Cachers claim for a moment, I actually REALLY like this sort of thing. I find it incredibly funny how people figure these sorts of things out. Albeit, a ladder is probably a 1 on the clever scale compared to this guys solution B)

ropingthewind's FTF on a rock climbing cache

They claim to have used a 21 foot ladder to reach a 25 foot high cache...

Putting aside the veracity of the Cachers claim for a moment, I actually REALLY like this sort of thing. I find it incredibly funny how people figure these sorts of things out. Albeit, a ladder is probably a 1 on the clever scale compared to this guys solution B)

ropingthewind's FTF on a rock climbing cache

WOW! What a story.

Those folks deserved the finds. Anyone who went to that kind of trouble and expense should have the finds. I think that even Cav Scout would agree and me not being a rock climber, etc., may use that technique on finding his caches.

All CS wants is a log signed by the actual finder(s). Heck, if I can't grow wings, I may rent a helicopter! :D

P.S. Hey, Touchstone, how long do they make rope ladders? :)

It's really that simple.

It looks like this was directed at me, so I'll respond.

If your goal is simply to rack up as many caches as you can, no matter how, then this is a reasonable approach. If you're not concerned with actually doing the work to get to the cache and sign it yourself, then this is a reasonable approach. It's really that simple.

If, on the other hand, you feel that ethically you can only claim a cache if you actually did the work yourself and signed it yourself, then this approach doesn't work.

You speak of the practices of other cachers affecting my experience. Since geocaching is a sport but also a community, the things one cacher does reflect on others. If a cacher falls to his death (as tragically happened recently), it makes the news and many of the general public think of caching as a very dangerous activity. While geocaching is no more dangerous than many outdoor pursuits, it gets that name because of what happened to one person.

If one person makes a 5 star climb and signs 10 other people into the log book who watched him/her, it tremendously lessens the enjoyment of the next person who struggles to make the climb and sign in too.

This is similar to doing a huge amount of work on a project in school or at work, then having someone else put their name on it because they watched you do some of the work. Not cool.

I'll still do the hard caches, and enjoy them very much. I just don't want to hear someone glibly say "oh yeah, I signed that one too!" when someone signed the log for them, or got it for them to do. B)

It's really that simple.

Happy New Year

B):)

This is not 'a couple of years ago.' Caches that met teh guidelines a few years ago do not necessarily meet them today.

So your view is what exactly ? as a 'charter' member we really look forward to your constructive comments !!

I'm pretty sure that my post was clear. If you are having trouble understanding any of it, please ask and I will be happy to explain.

Thanks.