Any one use Survival Straps?

ICHTHYS

I like the belts, but $75?! dadgum.....

$75 For a few bucks of p-cord and MAYBE an hour of work (that would be if you are reading instructions as you go).

On a sad side note:

A few years ago I had a brand new, 3000' spool of p-cord roll off my workbench breaking the spool. I now have 2000'+ p-cord in the worlds worst knot. It takes approx. 20 minutes to unravel 100'. On a few occasions, my employees have been late or made silly mistakes and get assigned a couple hundred feet.

On a sad side note:

A few years ago I had a brand new, 3000' spool of p-cord roll off my workbench breaking the spool. I now have 2000'+ p-cord in the worlds worst knot. It takes approx. 20 minutes to unravel 100'. On a few occasions, my employees have been late or made silly mistakes and get assigned a couple hundred feet.

Know any fishermen? They are experts at untangling knots. Parachute cord would be a blessing to them after years of untangling bird's nests of monofiliment line!

I dont get it what is the point in using this? what does it do? when would it become handy???

It's a survivalist kinda thing. If you are out in the boonies and find you need a length of lightweight, really strong cord to pitch a makeshift tent or tie a tourniquet around the stump where your leg used to be all you need to do is unravel your belt. I am sure the bloody stump will detract anyone from noticing your pants are falling down.

It quickly can be taken apart for a rescue rope....etc. There is a story on the first link about a dad using one to rescue a boy who fell through ice on a lake. Several of my firefighters carry them. Fast egress out a window in a burning building. They are handy for many things, fixing a broken suspended cache, emergency belt for your britches, all sorts of things.

I have made a ton of those in the past. I make bracelets and wrist slings for hunting bows. I just placed my first ever cache yesterday and left a really cool bracelet as a FTF prize. You can get that 550 paracord at your local army surplus for very cheap. The knot is called a cobra stitch in case anyone cares. You can look that up on youtube and find a ton of instructional videos.

Edited by DStubb