Announcing - Lotus Compass

Jackalgirl

It has been a rough day. It's been brought to my attention that I've gotten the cardinal directions switched up. "imn.t" is WEST, not EAST, and "iAb.t" is EAST, not WEST.

So consider this whole run an "error" edition. It's obviously way too late to do anything about this now, but if there's a remint in the future, I'll pay for a new die for that side. Sigh!

Chin up! You're going through what every other designer has gone through :( Sooner or later you feel like you're taking punches, lol. It only gets worse (just teasing) ;) Just growing pains.

I screwed up my 1st die on my Rainforest Jewel coin and those we very expensive dies. A mispelled word I missed on the artwork. I've been anal ever since that at checking spelling ;) Live and learn.

Tomorrow's a new day :huh:

tsun

Heh, that's absolutely the truth. I /did/ actually check it several times; I think, though, that what I was checking was the spelling, not the location. Argh. Well, Mom says that every mistake you make as an artist makes the artwork worth $50 more. So I've just added $200 to the value. ; )

Thanks once again for everyone's incredible patience! It's been a trial, compounded much by my own failure to pay attention to detail. Argh!

At any rate, as soon as they're made and in hand, they're going up for sale in the Geocoin Store, and I know that Pete will post a link here when they're ready (and I'll send a newsletter to my mailing list). The AEs will be going up for sale on eBay some time later (as a fundraiser for my church); there are going to be 37 of those up for sales.

A question about that for those who are looking to buy an AE: would they be improved if I serialized them (x of 37, and a signature)? Or would you prefer them unsullied, as it were?

Any idea how much these are going to cost? I'm a geocoin noob and I don't know much about this stuff.

Pete mentioned earlier that his guess -- not a guarantee, but an unquantified guess -- would be around $10 each (or somewhere in that neighborhood). He doesn't set the prices, though, and Rusty (the guy in charge) hasn't made a solid decision yet. I'm sure Pete'll post it, though, once the coins are in production and the decision has been made.

Glad to hear it! : )

I've got a poll up at my website regarding the Lotus AEs -- the question is: would you like it if I serialized each coin (e.g., "x of 39") and signed it (and then hit up the engraved part with a clear coat of Future to protect it, of course), or would you prefer that the coin remain unsullied? Do you think it would increase its collectibility, for those collecting types, or do you think you'd want to collect it less? Please cast your vote and feel free to comment here. Thanks!

I guess the questions would be: How steady is your hand at engraving?, Where exactly will the engraving be?, What does your signature look like? In other words will the engraving enhance the coin or just mess it up... :P If your hand is not steady and the engraving "professional looking" it will mes it up imho...

CF30

Good points! I'd like to say I've got a steady hand, but let me actually try something out (on metal) and get a photo up. It'll take me a little while (I've thrown out my back) but I'll try to get it hammered out today. I'll double-check that poll, too, and see what I can do to fix it. Thanks!

Edited to add: I think I have fixed the poll. Give it a try, please? Thanks!

Edited by Jackalgirl

Okay, I've got some photos up to show engraving. Since I am hand-holding an engraver, it is not laser engraver quality, of course; I don't know, though, whether that sort of hand-held quality would appeal or detract, or whether I should hold off until I buy my Epilog (not anywhere in the near future -- starting price: $8000 for the dilettante version, and about $15K for the entry-level machine). But please take a look and let me know what you think! (I could also offer to sign coins specifically for people who want signatures.)

Thanks, everyone! I'll leave the poll up for now in case anyone else wants to chime in. I'm thinking that what might be a good idea is to include a card with a number (x of 39) with each of the coins. At the conclusion of the auctions, I'll ask the buyers if they want them serialized/signed (by hand, since I don't have an engraver yet) and if they want it, they can have it. If not, of course, don't lose that card! ; )

Edited to add: Where'sMyMarbles -- exactly right!

Edited by Jackalgirl

I voted yes. :laughing: What's the coin that you engraved? It looks quite pretty. B)

Urp -- sorry, I thought I answered this earlier, but the server must of eaten it (or I forgot to press "Add Reply" -- wouldn't put it past me). The coin is a sample coin I had made of the Tactical Support Center (Misawa, Japan) challenge coin. You can see a different pic of it here, which shows the antique bronze version (which I actually think came out the best). There's also a limited edition black nickel and nickel version and a Holiday Party silver and blue with icy-colors version, and then a couple of sample coins including the "Lucky Dragon" (red and gold) sample coin. I felt that if I was going to mark up a coin, it should at least be accurate (it really is 1 of 1). : )

No wonder why I didn't recognize it!

Those are gorgeous!! What are challenge coins anyway? I notice a lot of geocoin manufacturers also produce them. Sorry for derailing your thread a bit. :laughing:

You designed all those challenge coins as well? They are so awesome!

Challenge coins are kind of like geocoins, only they're usually round (but not always) and aren't trackable (on geocaching.com), though they often have serial numbers. They're a military tradition: a command will usually have them and sell them in the command store/exchange/whatever you call the unit's own place of sales of emblemantics, and often the commanding officer, ranking officers, and sometimes also Master Chiefs (top Enlisted types) will have their own. They hand them out as tokens of respect to people who've done good things (usually), so it's a mark of distinction if you have a lot of them (that you didn't buy).

It used to be tradition in the US that you had to carry your command's coin around with you (when drinking): if someone pulls out his or her challenge coin and taps it on the table, the first person unable to produce his/her coin is the one who has to buy the round (hence the "challenge"), and if all the people at the table have their coins, the original challenger is the one who has to buy the round. That's in the US; in other countries, you have to memorize the serial number and if you can't recite it (and produce your coin) when challenged, you have to buy the round.

</derail>

Hee hee! I have to giggle, because I usually describe geocoins as "sort of like challenge coins".

No wonder why I didn't recognize it!

Those are gorgeous!! What are challenge coins anyway? I notice a lot of geocoin manufacturers also produce them. Sorry for derailing your thread a bit. :laughing:

You designed all those challenge coins as well? They are so awesome!

Challenge coins are kind of like geocoins, only they're usually round (but not always) and aren't trackable (on geocaching.com), though they often have serial numbers. They're a military tradition: a command will usually have them and sell them in the command store/exchange/whatever you call the unit's own place of sales of emblemantics, and often the commanding officer, ranking officers, and sometimes also Master Chiefs (top Enlisted types) will have their own. They hand them out as tokens of respect to people who've done good things (usually), so it's a mark of distinction if you have a lot of them (that you didn't buy).

It used to be tradition in the US that you had to carry your command's coin around with you (when drinking): if someone pulls out his or her challenge coin and taps it on the table, the first person unable to produce his/her coin is the one who has to buy the round (hence the "challenge"), and if all the people at the table have their coins, the original challenger is the one who has to buy the round. That's in the US; in other countries, you have to memorize the serial number and if you can't recite it (and produce your coin) when challenged, you have to buy the round.

</derail>

Hee hee! I have to giggle, because I usually describe geocoins as "sort of like challenge coins".

That sounds like a great game to play at a geocoin event...if you have it in a pub like we do! B)

Hey, haven't heard an update in a while... Is everything going alright? I hope there weren't any more problems! :laughing: I'm looking forward to these, I hope everything turns out alright. :laughing:

Everything is A-ok :laughing: Production is moving along nicely, and I expect to put these up for sale when I return from Geowoodstock. Wouldn't want to put them up while everyone was partying in Seattle, now would I? :laughing:

Hey, haven't heard an update in a while... Is everything going alright? I hope there weren't any more problems! :laughing: I'm looking forward to these, I hope everything turns out alright. :laughing:

Everything is A-ok B) Production is moving along nicely, and I expect to put these up for sale when I return from Geowoodstock. Wouldn't want to put them up while everyone was partying in Seattle, now would I? :laughing:

Sure, why not? I can't make it to GW8 and neither can a lot of other people, so why not a special treat for those of us who cannot attend. There is ALWAYS special coins available AT events; why not something for those who cannot go?? :laughing:

Besides, Seattle DOES have internet access, doesn't it? It's not like those going wouldn't be able to buy some too...

CF30

Everything is A-ok B) Production is moving along nicely, and I expect to put these up for sale when I return from Geowoodstock. Wouldn't want to put them up while everyone was partying in Seattle, now would I? :laughing:

Sure, why not? I can't make it to GW8 and neither can a lot of other people, so why not a special treat for those of us who cannot attend. There is ALWAYS special coins available AT events; why not something for those who cannot go?? :laughing:

Besides, Seattle DOES have internet access, doesn't it? It's not like those going wouldn't be able to buy some too...

CF30

Have you ever known me to care about people standing in line? That's why I'm not scheduling anything. They'll just show up one day, and I'll let every one know here in this thread. The most important thing is getting them in and taking photos. Then ya'll can rush over. If that day is July 3rd, well. So be it. B)

TMA

So I'm updating this thread again. Looking like July 1st for ETA. I have all the listings ready, just need to get the coins in hand and photo them.

I know I'll send out a newsletter to my mailing list, and I would wager Kat will too. Plus I'll ping this thread. When I do, they'll already be up and running in the Store. :P

TMA

<--- getting excited. This is the week!

I keep clicking on Refresh all Tabs...

Same here! B) I'm hoping so hard that they come out late tonight in my time zone rather than some time tomorrow, because I leave for Washington tomorrow and it'll be a twelve hour drive with no internet (except crappy slow Blackberry internet)! My fingers are crossed so hard they're cutting off circulation. :) I can't wait for these, I'm so excited.

Ack! Pete just dropped me an email letting me know that the delivery schedule for the Lotus was pushed to next week. I am not sure if there's any more detail to be had about why (though it really doesn't matter; it just means another couple of days), but at least it gives those of us who were watching the store pages like hawks a bit of a rest.

Naturally, I'll post more as soon as I have any more info (as soon as Pete, et co, come back from GW8, I imagine). So enjoy the weekend refresh-free, and if you're at GW8, have a great time! : )