Announcing - Lotus Compass

Jackalgirl

Everyone get their newsletter update!? I did!!!! :)

Just making sure....these will be for sale on the Grafikato website??

Howdy! They'll actually be on sale over at the Geocoinstore.com website. I'll post actual functional links when they're available (if Pete doesn't beat me to it) and back it up with a newsletter, too. I'd keep an eye on this forum, though; I've no way of knowing whether the Geocoinstore folks will, say, add the coin to their online inventory when, say, I'm at work. ; )

The AEs are going to be on sale on eBay. I'll definitely send out a newsletter about that once I've got it all set up and ready to go.

Edited by Jackalgirl

Everyone get their newsletter update!? I did!!!! :blink:

Just making sure....these will be for sale on the Grafikato website??

Howdy! They'll actually be on sale over at the Geocoinstore.com website. I'll post actual functional links when they're available (if Pete doesn't beat me to it) and back it up with a newsletter, too. I'd keep an eye on this forum, though; I've no way of knowing whether the Geocoinstore folks will, say, add the coin to their online inventory when, say, I'm at work. ; )

The AEs are going to be on sale on eBay. I'll definitely send out a newsletter about that once I've got it all set up and ready to go.

I can't seem to find a link to sign up for a newsletter.

Howdy, everyone --

Sorry, I do need to link the store/newsletter info into the main page (and haven't gotten to it yet). All you have to do to sign up for the newsletter is open an account in my shop. You can do this via the login page; here's the link.

I won't ever sell or pass on your account information, but if you don't feel comfortable with giving out your real name, address, etc, go ahead and put in bogus information. As long as the email is okay. : )

Avroair, I don't see you on the customer list, which probably explains why you didn't get the newsletter. If you've been having problems -- or if anyone has any problems -- please don't hesitate to shoot me an email through my profile or PM through the Forum and I'll take care of it as soon as I can!

---------

Edited to fix broken url, oops!

Edited by Jackalgirl

Hey Jackalgirl.... do you have an expected price for the regular editions? I really like the one marked copper and red lotus... I will probably try to get two (one for trade and another for keep). Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't; I'll ask Pete if he doesn't jump in here before I get home from work. : )

Hey Jackalgirl.... do you have an expected price for the regular editions? I really like the one marked copper and red lotus... I will probably try to get two (one for trade and another for keep). Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't; I'll ask Pete if he doesn't jump in here before I get home from work. : )

Pete hadn't even gotten to the price point in his mind yet :D If we were like most vendors, the regular coins would be $12.50, the LE would be $14.50, and the XLE would be $18.00. Although we'd give you a discount of a $1 if you bought all three :laughing:

But we're not :rolleyes: So I'm going out on a limb to say they're going to be 10 clams, just like all of our other marquee coins. I'd like to put them at $9, but a 2nd set of dies is going to prevent that. Sorry.

TMA

Pete hadn't even gotten to the price point in his mind yet ;) If we were like most vendors, the regular coins would be $12.50, the LE would be $14.50, and the XLE would be $18.00. Although we'd give you a discount of a $1 if you bought all three :laughing:

But we're not <_< So I'm going out on a limb to say they're going to be 10 clams, just like all of our other marquee coins. I'd like to put them at $9, but a 2nd set of dies is going to prevent that. Sorry.

TMA

Sounds great! Thanks bunches... I will have to keep posted to the site then. :D

Man, am I ever an idiot. A maroon. A nincompoop. : (

Turns out that I totally misread what Pete had to say about the coins. They're not going to be available week of April 8th -- the new samples will be done that week and Pete will be sending me the photos as soon as he gets them. He'll place the production order at that time and they'll be in in May. I'm so sorry!

I wish I could say that this was an April's Fool joke, but it's not. : (

I'm sorry I got you all spun up (I was spun up too)! May. Man!

<...goes off grumbling at self>

I just sent out another newsletter but wanted to hit up the thread with the news: it looks like the mint decided not to cut the new die to which we agreed, but to try again using the old die.

The photos are pretty terrible and I can't really tell the difference between the original samples and this new set (except that the Osiris coin looks much better); it doesn't look like the mint was able to fully fill the back of the coin this second time around, either.

Pete's waiting to get the coins in hand so actually see them. We're both furious, though, since the mint did something we didn't approve, didn't tell us about it, and the production/delivery date looks very much like it's up in the air again.

You can see the new sample photos and read all about it on my website's Lotus Compass Project Log page.

Once again, I am tremendously sorry about this, and appreciate your patience and good will. I, myself, am (as I say ad nauseum on the site) STEAMED!

I just sent out another newsletter but wanted to hit up the thread with the news: it looks like the mint decided not to cut the new die to which we agreed, but to try again using the old die.

The photos are pretty terrible and I can't really tell the difference between the original samples and this new set (except that the Osiris coin looks much better); it doesn't look like the mint was able to fully fill the back of the coin this second time around, either.

Pete's waiting to get the coins in hand so actually see them. We're both furious, though, since the mint did something we didn't approve, didn't tell us about it, and the production/delivery date looks very much like it's up in the air again.

You can see the new sample photos and read all about it on my website's Lotus Compass Project Log page.

Once again, I am tremendously sorry about this, and appreciate your patience and good will. I, myself, am (as I say ad nauseum on the site) STEAMED!

I understand that you are furious. You both.

But rest assured that we will be waiting for this coin for as long as it takes. Because it is such a beauty!

At least I will :D

I understand that you are furious. You both.

But rest assured that we will be waiting for this coin for as long as it takes. Because it is such a beauty!

At least I will :D

And I will for sure, too !! You can count on !!

Kat, the new samples are totally FAB!! I especially love the Aten. :) The front side of Set is HOT! I'm glad you're changing the colors for the back to match. Anubis looks clean & sharp. And Osiris & Nepthys are sweet too! I'm looking forward to obtaining a set (no pun intended, I want 'em ALL ;) ).

CF30

WOW, thank you, everyone! I'm tremendously flattered to be compared to Paula's Tranquility (which is an awesome coin). You just made my day! : )

Here's a link to the project page, if there's anyone out there not on the mailing list who wants to take a peek and who hasn't seen the link so far.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm going to go spend the rest of my day floating a couple of inches off the ground thanks to you. : )

For some reason your site loads really slow for me and I can't see the pics but I was able to see bits and pieces going through the other pages.

I've noticed your designs and Paula's are very much the same style with some variation of course. Lots of people loved her stuff and you seem to be in the same boat with all the other great graphic designers like Mackey and Yime. Kudos to you :)

tsun

Thanks kindly! I'm sorry about the site; I think it's a combination of it being pretty graphics-intensive and the fact that iWeb (which I use) uses a format for websites that is used by pretty much everyone...except Microsoft. So some versions of IE barf on it. Which, of course, is not good. I'm looking into some non-iWeb software I can use as an alternative, so hopefully I can come up with something that doesn't cause IE to fail loading.

... iWeb (which I use) uses a format for websites that is used by pretty much everyone...except Microsoft...

Your page won't load on IE8. Are the iWeb people working on a patch ?

Doubtful. The problem is that browser rendering in Safari, Firefox, etc is handled by something called Webkit, which is an open-source rendering system (which is, incidentally, compliant with the W3C, a consortium that maintains and develops World Wide Web standards). IE, of course, does not. It uses its own proprietary engine, called Trident, which as I understand it is not compliant with those W3C standards.

I'm not sure why Apple hasn't come up with some kind of kludge, given that so many people use IE*, but I'm guessing because it'd be a monumental task (from what I'm gathering from the online comments, IE is not a very, um, thoroughly-coded application). According to this site, Microsoft is toying with the idea of using Webkit for IE, but I'm not holding my breath, considering that this information came out in late 2008.

*Okay, so IE is, admittedly, terrible software. And it's a pain in the bottom to try to make sure your site is fully compliant with something that follows its own tune and does not use the standards. But if 70% of your customer base is using that software, its terribleness notwithstanding, it really behooves you to do something.

So there are a couple of solutions:

1) On the user end: download Safari for PC, or Firefox, or some other web browser that supports Webkit. Sure would make it easier for me, because iWeb makes it incredibly easy for me to keep my site updated.

2) On my end: find another website-building program that either uses Microsoft's non-W3C-compliant engine, Trident, or is otherwise compatible with it, and completely rebuild my website with it.

I'm looking into that, but please pardon me if I say it's not a top priority. I really do, truly, want the site to be completely accessible to everyone, it's just that this is going to take a huge chunk of time and I'm pretty busy between work and family. I'll find the time, eventually; I just can't promise it any time soon.

Well, if Tree of Life hadn't already hooked me into geocoins last year, Lotus Compass would have been my undoing anyway. (Why wait? :) ) I can't even pick a favorite, all of them are so beautiful. The photos showed fine for me with IE7, although sometimes I needed to click the link to bring them up initially. Great coins, Jackalgirl. Hope I manage to snag a few.

1) On the user end: download Safari for PC, or Firefox, or some other web browser that supports Webkit. Sure would make it easier for me, because iWeb makes it incredibly easy for me to keep my site updated.

Will do. I am over I.E. Thanks for the background info. Interesting reading. Proprietary systems always lead to format wars and its the consumers who suffer.

Edited by haysonics

Quick update from me, since I see that Kat must have sent out a newsletter. Which I still can't figure out how to get onto ;)

I did place the production order Friday. It's a mint holiday (or was Friday), so I won't have confirmation of the order until Thursday of this week. So I would **estimate** Mid June for these to appear in the store. And yes, they will be for sale at our store, www.geocoinstore.com. There will be four versions, Aten, Osiris, Nepthys, and Set. Kat has her own AE, that will be her pervue to explain to you at her leisure.

For those of you that like to sit around and F5, don't bother asking ;) They'll just show up one day, and I'll post in here when they're up for sale. So put a watch on this thread. No reason to get everyone worried until they are up and running.

TMA

It has been a rough day. It's been brought to my attention that I've gotten the cardinal directions switched up. "imn.t" is WEST, not EAST, and "iAb.t" is EAST, not WEST.

So consider this whole run an "error" edition. It's obviously way too late to do anything about this now, but if there's a remint in the future, I'll pay for a new die for that side. Sigh!

It has been a rough day. It's been brought to my attention that I've gotten the cardinal directions switched up. "imn.t" is WEST, not EAST, and "iAb.t" is EAST, not WEST.

So consider this whole run an "error" edition. It's obviously way too late to do anything about this now, but if there's a remint in the future, I'll pay for a new die for that side. Sigh!

Chin up! You're going through what every other designer has gone through :( Sooner or later you feel like you're taking punches, lol. It only gets worse (just teasing) ;) Just growing pains.

I screwed up my 1st die on my Rainforest Jewel coin and those we very expensive dies. A mispelled word I missed on the artwork. I've been anal ever since that at checking spelling ;) Live and learn.

Tomorrow's a new day :huh:

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey