Announcing - Lotus Compass

Jackalgirl

I was born in 1975 as well. :D However I'm a tiger because I was born in January, before the Chinese New Year. :laughing:

I can't WAIT for all the variations on this design. Each color combination highlights a different part of the design that I didn't notice in the first one. :laughing:

So if you are born in January you are not a rabbit?? What about March??? :D I do not know when the Chinese celebrate the New year... :)

Ooh! :D I really like the Anubis AE!! :( I'd love to trade for that one!! Nepthys, Osiris & Set are very hot as well. :) And how does one subscribe to your "not-often-utilized Newsletter system"? :)

CF30

Thank you kindly! : )

If you go to my website (see my profile for the link), there's an option to log in (up at the the top of the page, and in the initial greeting, too). If you don't have an account, create one and make sure that the newsletter checkbox is checked (it's off by default). If you don't want to provide me with personal details, that's totally okay -- you can put in bogus information if you like. If I end up selling something you want to buy, tho, make sure you change it when you place your order or I might end up sending your coins to the Simpsons! ; )

If you have an account and aren't getting the newsletter, just log in and click on "My Account" at the top of the page. You should see an option to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to the newsletter.

Please note that I am a total luddite: I don't send out formatted emails. It's generally all plain-text with me. But I'll provide you with a link to pages with images so that you can see what I'm talking about.

Back to the coin itself: we're still working out mint blueprint issues. If you all are interested, and if the folks at Geocoin Store don't object, I'll post some mint blueprints when they're right.

With regards to trades: my plan is to sell my spare AEs as a fundraiser for my church. This will probably happen on eBay if I can set it up correctly. I know this may upset some of you who were hoping to trade (or who might object to the religious nature of the fundraiser*), and for that I can only apologize and say I'm sorry, but I'm really trying to do a fundraiser for my church.

*Which is perfectly fine.

I'll post more details about the AE sale later on when I have an actual plan (which, in true me style, I am putting off coming up with a concrete plan until we at least have samples).

Thank you! We got some sample photos, but I think they'll be redone -- it doesn't look like the mint did them properly*. The actual die looks to have been done beautifully, tho (and I'll send out a newsletter in the next couple of days, possibly even tonight, my time, then post what I'm talking about here a day or two after that).

*Technically speaking: it didn't look like the mint stoned the coins. If you're not familiar with the process, IHE is actually a resin that's overfilled in the coin and then ground back down to the upper level of the coin (it's called "stoning"). That's why the IHE completely fills the areas it fills, rather than "slumping", like soft enamel does. In the photos, the enamel slumps into the areas rather severely. So the coins don't look like proper IHE coins. It'll be clearer when I post the photos.

We have not wanted to buy a full set of coins in a VERY long time, these are stunning, and we cannot make up our minds which one we like better, we hope these can be all bought in a complete set. Please let us know or add us to the list of a full set if this is possible. What a fantastic looking coin you have done here Kat.

ok i know i am missing it....where do i sign up for the newsletter?

these are very pretty

Howdy!

Just go to my shop and sign up an account (click on "login page"); the option for the newsletter should be on by default. Feel free to put in bogus address/name info if you don't feel comfortable giving your actual info -- of course, make sure that your email addy is correct! : )

If you have any problems, shoot me an email through my profile and I'll add you manually.

Thanks for the complements and your interest! : )

As promised, here are pictures of the samples. By looking at them, you might guess that we've got back to the mint with questions and requests, and you'd be right: the coins certainly don't look like fully-filled IHE coins, especially on the sun-disk-and-ammo-can side.

(For those who don't know, imitation hard enamel is actually a resin that's overfilled in the color areas of a coin; the coin is then "stoned" [polished] down so that the enamel is flush with the level of the coin.)

Lotus_Sample01_Aten.jpg

Lotus Compass - Aten

Lotus_Sample01_Set.jpg

Lotus Compass - Set

Lotus_Sample01_Nepthys.jpg

Lotus Compass - Nepthys

The Osiris version turned out pretty muddy (as expected, actually; I'd asked if the mint could apply the antiquing only to the raised portions, and in the photo it's pretty clear they applied it everywhere and it thusly dulled the colors way down), so we're reworking that one. So no photos for that yet!

And, oh yeah, I'm hiding the Anubis version too -- that's my AE. There are some adjustments to be made on that one two and besides, it's mine mine mine mine! Maybe. ; ) Anyway, please enjoy!

I wonder what one has to do to get their hands on one of those?

*Edited*

I read through all the posts and quess what? I answered my own question. Thanks Kat for telling us in advance how to get one of the AEs. : ) I think I will be keeping my eye on Ebay and good luck with your fundraiser.

Edited by cache_in_hand

I'll give you the vendor POV. We are going to be selling the versions pictured above *as is* except for better fill on the backside (tracking number side), plus the Osiris, after we negotiate a different plating/color scheme for it (most likely plating). They will not be available until after CNY, guaranteed, since that boat already sailed. Confirmed orders were due a while ago to beat the holiday. For anyone who doesn't know those dates, CNY starts around Feb. 10, and ends a few weeks later (depends on each factory).

As for Anubis, I can't give you any details. That's up to Kat :D If it's any consolation, Trippy thinks Anubis is the best version. And he's mad at me cuz I always give Kat the best version for herself, and we can't sell it <_<

As promised, here are pictures of the samples. By looking at them, you might guess that we've got back to the mint with questions and requests, and you'd be right: the coins certainly don't look like fully-filled IHE coins, especially on the sun-disk-and-ammo-can side.

(For those who don't know, imitation hard enamel is actually a resin that's overfilled in the color areas of a coin; the coin is then "stoned" [polished] down so that the enamel is flush with the level of the coin.)

Lotus_Sample01_Aten.jpg

Lotus Compass - Aten

Lotus_Sample01_Set.jpg

Lotus Compass - Set

Lotus_Sample01_Nepthys.jpg

Lotus Compass - Nepthys

The Osiris version turned out pretty muddy (as expected, actually; I'd asked if the mint could apply the antiquing only to the raised portions, and in the photo it's pretty clear they applied it everywhere and it thusly dulled the colors way down), so we're reworking that one. So no photos for that yet!

And, oh yeah, I'm hiding the Anubis version too -- that's my AE. There are some adjustments to be made on that one two and besides, it's mine mine mine mine! Maybe. ; ) Anyway, please enjoy!

I really like how the fronts on these turned out. My favorite color combo is "Set". Very nice JG :D

No reservation yet, and I'm not sure there will be; Geocoin Store's usual modus operandi is to simply put them up for sale once they're in hand. I'll let Pete make the definitive statement, though.

We're working on some changes to the samples. One coin (the Osiris coin) didn't turn out at all the way we would have liked, and we have some minor changes for the others.

No reservation yet, and I'm not sure there will be; Geocoin Store's usual modus operandi is to simply put them up for sale once they're in hand. I'll let Pete make the definitive statement, though.

We're working on some changes to the samples. One coin (the Osiris coin) didn't turn out at all the way we would have liked, and we have some minor changes for the others.

Kat's correct. they will just show up in our webstore one day. And if I'm super motivated, I'll send out a small newsletter about it B) But it's more likely someone will bump this thread when the sale goes live.

Now if only sample revisions were easy to get. Blech.

TMA

Kat's correct. they will just show up in our webstore one day. And if I'm super motivated, I'll send out a small newsletter about it B) But it's more likely someone will bump this thread when the sale goes live.

Now if only sample revisions were easy to get. Blech.

TMA

I hope my F5 will last :o

Howdy, everyone --

This is definitely due for an update. If you're on my mailing list, you've gotten some good info and a link to an update page. I'll go ahead and catch everyone else up, tho -- the long and the short of it is that the problems with the sun-disk side of the coin (the "slumping" of the enamel) was not something that the mint could easily overcome.

After much going back and forth, the mint has proposed a slight change to the design that will enable them to properly and fully fill (and stone) that side of the coin. The original design called for 16 "arms" per quadrant (roughly) of the coin. We're reducing it to 11 (for a total of something like 44 arms). Although the 16x4 is very nicely "compassy", the Ancient Egyptian number of completion is 4. And, of course, I like to think that "this coin goes to 11".

We'll now have to figure out the cutting of the new die for that second side, as well as waiting for a new set of samples to confirm that this actually did the trick.

I am so sorry that this has delayed the production of this coin, since I know a lot of you love it and are eagerly awaiting its sale -- but we want to make sure that the coin looks like it's supposed to, and think you'll find it worth the wait.