SILVER AMMO CAN TRIBUTES

Rustynails

I cannot post to this forum without the "moderator" tag, even though I'm only a moderator for the Getting Started Forum (I've asked).

With all respect, Markwell... you may not be a moderator in this forum (ditto, Briansnat) but you are a moderator, which means that you are a representative of Groundspeak, and you are helping to take what started as a fun and friendly conversation about tribute caches into an angsty discourse about the importance of numbers and what is certainly to turn into a lenghty discussion about differences in opinion. As a responsible member of the forums, would you and Briansnat please try to keep this discussion on track? If you want to start a new thread on how tribute caches are contributing to the detriment of our activity, fine... but that is NOT what this thread is about (IMHO). Moderators, no matter which forum they are in, should be setting an example of what IS acceptable here, not of what should be avoided.

The OP asked about the subject and I stated my opinion that the entire concept is not the greatest idea. It did not directly answer the OP's question but it was tangentially related. The same way the posts that mentioned golden ammo cans also veered from the original topic because the OP did specifically ask about SILVER ammo cans. As Erickson said, conversations evolve. It's not like I turned this into a discussion of Obama's healthcare plan.

Back on topic. >>>Golden Ammo can for Best New Hider of the year is the local tradition. Golden can, festooned with gems and ribbons. I have No Idea what you're gonna use this thing for ? a door stop ;-)???

Actually hiding it would be a challenge worthy of Best New. If that's happened, I'm not aware of it.

The Silver/Gold ammo can for X number of finds never caught on here. Not to say it never happened, I don't recall it though (my memory is NOT trustworthy). A geo-buddy gave us USA Geocoins for our #1000, we gave them nice hiking sticks.

Hides (not painted metallic) in comemmoration of Cacher's 1000 (2000th, 4000th etc) find are scattered about. Don't see them much any more.

Commoner now are simply hides "in honor of". I recently hid one for SlydogFL.

He reversed the parking lot micro (Slim Bob) into an ammo can (Big Bob). A nice idea, especially as those hides are the most accessible to families with young children. So I hid a SlydogFL Stylin' Big Bob.

I can't speak for other regions, but to the numbers discussion; locally that ship has sailed. For a time in say '03, '04 there were folks chasing numbers as part of a perceived competition. They figured to cache hard and catch the guys around them. It's over. Too many cachers have joined since and can't conceive of catching up. There's no milestones thread on the FGA website. Who cares?

I think numbers angst is now passé (at least here). Numbers don't impact the game much. Time to move on to other concerns. Cachers hiding with Nuvis or from google earth for instance.....

I have placed about 20 of the silver or gold ammo cans, in the northwest Wisconsin area, starting in 2006. Here is the bookmark list of the tribute cans I have placed:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...86-2f4a33026820

I stole the idea of placing silver ammo cans after visiting the Chicago area in 2006, and seeing it done there, and thought it was a great idea, and started doing it here. My practice is to place a silver ammo can for all WI cachers within 100 miles of Eau Claire.

Since I started doing it, others have copied me, which is fine because I was copying the Chicago people. Da Bloodhound took the tradition to Minnesota, Lagrac took it to Iowa, and Trekkin and Birdin took it to the La Crosse area. So far, it has not spread to the rest of Wisconsin beyond 100 miles of Eau Claire much, with a couple of exceptions here and there.

These are all the large ammo boxes, silver for 1K and gold for 5K.

Interestingly, not a single one of the large ammo boxes has yet gone missing, mostly because I try to place them off of the beaten trail in areas that nongeocachers are unlikely to visit.

zuma

Thanks for the history. I learned something new today. :D

I cannot post to this forum without the "moderator" tag, even though I'm only a moderator for the Getting Started Forum (I've asked).

With all respect, Markwell... you may not be a moderator in this forum (ditto, Briansnat) but you are a moderator, which means that you are a representative of Groundspeak, and you are helping to take what started as a fun and friendly conversation about tribute caches into an angsty discourse about the importance of numbers and what is certainly to turn into a lenghty discussion about differences in opinion. As a responsible member of the forums, would you and Briansnat please try to keep this discussion on track? If you want to start a new thread on how tribute caches are contributing to the detriment of our activity, fine... but that is NOT what this thread is about (IMHO). Moderators, no matter which forum they are in, should be setting an example of what IS acceptable here, not of what should be avoided.

Thank You Knowschad, Well said. :D

Edited by rustynails.

The OP asked about the subject and I stated my opinion that the entire concept is not the greatest idea. It did not directly answer the OP's question but it was tangentially related. The same way the posts that mentioned golden ammo cans also veered from the original topic because the OP did specifically ask about SILVER ammo cans. As Erickson said, conversations evolve. It's not like I turned this into a discussion of Obama's healthcare plan.

Pick, pick, pick and choose. Ok I said SILVER ammo only because that is the most common tribute cache seen around here. But any tribute color is open for this topic. I don't discriminate, I’m an equal opportunity cacher. :D

Pick, pick, pick and choose. Ok I said SILVER ammo only because that is the most common tribute cache seen around here. But any tribute color is open for this topic. I don't discriminate, I'm an equal opportunity cacher. :D

I want my next milestone ammo can to be Candy Apple Red metalflake on the outside, and upholstered in tuck 'n' roll pearl naugahyde on the inside.

Pick, pick, pick and choose. Ok I said SILVER ammo only because that is the most common tribute cache seen around here. But any tribute color is open for this topic. I don't discriminate, I'm an equal opportunity cacher. :D

I want my next milestone ammo can to be Candy Apple Red metalflake on the outside, and upholstered in tuck 'n' roll pearl naugahyde on the inside.

No Naugahyde on the inside but...

66a14b17-d5d3-4a61-9925-f265779bd965.jpg

No Naugahyde on the inside but...

66a14b17-d5d3-4a61-9925-f265779bd965.jpg

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!