SILVER AMMO CAN TRIBUTES

Rustynails

Last week knowschad mentioned the local cache term geobeacon. It made me wonder about silver ammo can tribute caches.

We also have something here called silver ammo can tribute caches. This is a silver ammo can hidden in honor of obtaining a milestone cache find such as the 1000th. Example GC2058R. It is put out by a fellow cacher or cachers.

:) Does anyone else do this? Or is it a local custom?

After 1K we do an event and give the cacher a golden ammo can.

We also give out golden ammo cans in Nebraska. Usually at events, but we rarely schedule an event simply to give out a can.

I should add that most of the time it's small gathering. Then after we go for food and drinks. Nothing formal.

We also give out golden ammo cans in Nebraska. Usually at events, but we rarely schedule an event simply to give out a can.

yup - thats been around for about 6 or 7 years. The "statewide" group needs to get a little pass the middle for a meeting one of these days ----- :)

yup - thats been around for about 6 or 7 years. The "statewide" group needs to get a little pass the middle for a meeting one of these days ----- :)

Hold an event, and people will come. Like the annual chili feed in February near North Platte.

Last week knowschad mentioned the local cache term geobeacon. It made me wonder about silver ammo can tribute caches.

We also have something here called silver ammo can tribute caches. This is a silver ammo can hidden in honor of obtaining a milestone cache find such as the 1000th. Example GC2058R. It is put out by a fellow cacher or cachers.

:) Does anyone else do this? Or is it a local custom?

Not a local custom, but the Silver is kinda weird!! They're Gold where I come from (NY). I mean why wouldn't they be gold? Gold is more valuable than Silver. You get a Gold medal for winning an event in the Olympics, not a Silver!

I'm almost positive I've seen a claim on a regional Geocaching forum that Golden Ammo cans originated in NW Pa. Probably an urban legend, or false claim though. I suppose I should try to look that up if I'm going to post it here.

We do the golden ammo can here in Alabama with the milestone painted on the side - 1K, 2500, 5K etc

I like what the Northern Unusual Treasure Seekers (NUTS) do in California... they paint walnuts gold and put them on a lanyard.

I got a nut from them at an event but since I quit logging online I will never qualify for a pair of nuts (5K, I think)!

My nut hangs from my rearview mirror, evoking interesting questions from passengers and fond memories of the pair of NUTS who gave it to me!

And I thought there were no prizes for bagging a lot of finds. I think it's awards such as these that promote the notion that numbers give you some sort of status in the community and encourage many of the practices that are detrimental to the sport.

With all due respect. No matter how many times you attempt to get people to believe that numbers aren't important, the opinion data indicates otherwise.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion that numbers don't matter. And you are free to voice your opinion as well. What is important is that everyone plays a fair game.

Just like in elementary sports, the numbers don't mean anything.... but if thats true, why do we all keep score?

And I thought there were no prizes for bagging a lot of finds. I think it's awards such as these that promote the notion that numbers give you some sort of status in the community and encourage many of the practices that are detrimental to the sport.

Prizes/awards implies there is a contest. This is just a way to recognize a our fellow cachers for accomplishing a 1000th find. And we also put the cachers name and tribute number on the can.

Coordinates are given to the honoree after publication at the get together. The recipient will then search for the can as their fellow cachers stand by. Once found they log in FTF. Silver ammo can is then left for others to find.

Edited by rustynails.

I'm almost positive I've seen a claim on a regional Geocaching forum that Golden Ammo cans originated in NW Pa. Probably an urban legend, or false claim though. I suppose I should try to look that up if I'm going to post it here.

I agree with your skepticism. To the best of my memory, and as the first person in SW Pa. to hit 1,000 finds, the lineage was as follows:

1. CCCooperAgency was the first in PA to hit 1,000 finds.

2. The Nashville area cachers honored her with a gold ammo can.

3. CCCooperAgency adopted the custom both in her home area and adjoining regions.

4. I traveled to her area in August 2004 to pick up my gold ammo can.

5. She traveled to Northwest PA to hand out gold ammo cans to early achievers like TPrints and Goldsnoop.

So, can anyone trump a claim that the practice originated in Nashville, circa 2003?

Around here, we save gold for #5000. Why give a gold can to a noob? :antenna:

Good point. Nowadays, 1,000 finds is nothing more than a "busy month" of collecting park 'n grabs. It took me two years to reach the same number, caching most every weekend. 5,000 is a bit harder to achieve. I will get there someday next year.

The awards can be fun so can keeping track of your numbers, but I also agree with your logic! One of those "detrimental" practices of yours is unhealthy competition. Some cachers deny they compete with other cachers, but I have seen those same cachers become darn near obsessed with their numbers and try to beat or stay ahead of other cachers!

So have fun, give out awards, but don't let the numbers take over your life! :antenna:

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

yup - thats been around for about 6 or 7 years. The "statewide" group needs to get a little pass the middle for a meeting one of these days ----- :antenna:

Hold an event, and people will come. Like the annual chili feed in February near North Platte.

We have held several - nobody from the East ever comes........

To the best of my knowledge I was the first recipient of a golden ammo box , in Sept 26, 2002, arranged by Robert Lipe, and friends the ammo box was full to the top with AA batteries

The Event, was also a real nasty muil-stage puzzle for me alone

and sometimes it is all about the numbers

Joe

edited to add we gave CCCooperAgency a Gold for her 1,000 Sliver for her 5,000 event

Edited by JoGPS

With all due respect. No matter how many times you attempt to get people to believe that numbers aren't important, the opinion data indicates otherwise.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion that numbers don't matter. And you are free to voice your opinion as well. What is important is that everyone plays a fair game.

Just like in elementary sports, the numbers don't mean anything.... but if thats true, why do we all keep score?

I don't attempt to get people to believe that numbers aren't important. I know for a fact that they are very important to many, if not most geocachers. A lot of them refuse to admit it though, which is why so many here claim thaty they don't care much about numbers.

I agree with your skepticism. To the best of my memory, and as the first person in SW Pa. to hit 1,000 finds, the lineage was as follows:

1. CCCooperAgency was the first in PA to hit 1,000 finds.

2. The Nashville area cachers honored her with a gold ammo can.

3. CCCooperAgency adopted the custom both in her home area and adjoining regions.

4. I traveled to her area in August 2004 to pick up my gold ammo can.

5. She traveled to Northwest PA to hand out gold ammo cans to early achievers like TPrints and Goldsnoop.

So, can anyone trump a claim that the practice originated in Nashville, circa 2003?

Around here, we save gold for #5000. Why give a gold can to a noob? :antenna:

Good point. Nowadays, 1,000 finds is nothing more than a "busy month" of collecting park 'n grabs. It took me two years to reach the same number, caching most every weekend. 5,000 is a bit harder to achieve. I will get there someday next year.

I'm thinking now I might have seen the claim on someone's 1,000th cache event page in NWPA? No matter, between your post, and JoGPS's I think we have the history covered. I'm east coast, so that's all I've seen are the Golden Ammo cans. Silver still sounds funny to me, but Chad's friend makes a good point.

I don't attempt to get people to believe that numbers aren't important. I know for a fact that they are very important to many, if not most geocachers. A lot of them refuse to admit it though, which is why so many here claim thaty they don't care much about numbers.

Once again, you hit the nail right on the head.

The only people that I believe really don't care about any numbers (including yours truly) are those souls who don't log finds! Period!

Numbers are great! Fill a bath tub with them and jump in. Take off all of your clothes and run through the woods covered only in numbers. Bake them, boil them or just plain fry your numbers. Eat them however you wish. Compete with the whole world to out do it with numbers. After all they are your numbers and you can do what you wish with them, but don't climb up on the highest roof top and/or tree and proclaim you don't care about numbers. Ain't that a bit phony?

I believe that is the point that briansnat is making! :antenna:

P.S. A long time ago, we were given the most beautifully painted ammo can for reaching 1000 finds. No, it wasn't gold. It was much prettier than that, it was U of K Blue. While we love the can and love the person (DMflyer) who gave it to us, we didn't find the caches to reach the number, but it was nice. Marge and I don't look behind nor do we look ahead to see who was closing in or who are out distancing us! :antenna:

P.S. No. 2 to bittsen: A lot of elementary sports don't keep the score so that numbers, winning or losing, are not emphasized.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

I would say that the practice of creating tribute caches is "all about the numbers". In some areas, 1000 finds are very common, with many achieving that goal in less than a year or even a few months. In my area, it's a lot less common. There are perhaps 20 or so Golden Ammo cans that I know of within a 50 mile radius. I see it as a tribute for achieving a goal. The local community does not, for example, give out awards for the person with the highest number of finds.

Last spring my son (5 years old at the time) played T-ball. Most of the other kids on his team were also 5 year olds, and most of them had never played before. The weekend games only slightly resembled baseball and at least I thought that the point was to introduce the kids to team sports and start to develop hitting/throwing/catching skills. During the season they played one team that had a much higher percentage of six year olds that had played the season before together and although the kids seemed to be approaching the game the same as my sons team, the parents and coach seemed a bit more competitive (the were also from a school district in the upscale part of town). My sons team played that team again the last game of the season. In one inning their pitcher caught three fly balls (one he dove for). That was more than I'd seen in an entire game previously. I was coaching first when one of the other teams kids got on base and said, "we never lost...we won all our games", and I thought, "your team kept score?". Apparently they did, because the coach awarded all the kids on the team first place trophies.

It doesn't seem to matter what the sport or game is, some are just going to play the game differently.

Last spring my son (5 years old at the time) played T-ball. Most of the other kids on his team were also 5 year olds, and most of them had never played before. The weekend games only slightly resembled baseball and at least I thought that the point was to introduce the kids to team sports and start to develop hitting/throwing/catching skills. During the season they played one team that had a much higher percentage of six year olds that had played the season before together and although the kids seemed to be approaching the game the same as my sons team, the parents and coach seemed a bit more competitive (the were also from a school district in the upscale part of town). My sons team played that team again the last game of the season. In one inning their pitcher caught three fly balls (one he dove for). That was more than I'd seen in an entire game previously. I was coaching first when one of the other teams kids got on base and said, "we never lost...we won all our games", and I thought, "your team kept score?". Apparently they did, because the coach awarded all the kids on the team first place trophies.

It doesn't seem to matter what the sport or game is, some are just going to play the game differently.

In ALL sports (or activities, if you dare) the winners ALWAYS keep score.

That is not to mean that the ones who keep score are winners. It means that there are those who say "the score doesn't matter" and those who say "the score doesn't matter, but we won"

I'm proud to have introduced the Silver Ammo Box to Iowa:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...20-7bc2717e5a4b

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6e-70ad0830ad8f

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4e-6810554672d1

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...df-7d17e1355655

the tradition has seemed to catch on...my friends but a Gold one out for me:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a2-8f666eb24168

and to top that, since everyone knows I'm so partial to EarthCaches, I got this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ca-ae1cb5d9371c

It was an honour!! :antenna:

I would say that the practice of creating tribute caches is "all about the numbers".
It may seem that way on the surface, but at least around here, it is more about honoring friendships and recognizing dedication to the hobby. I don't see it as a Bad Thing. Now, if we were putting out Golden Film Cannister caches... well, you know.
Once again, you hit the nail right on the head.

The only people that I believe really don't care about any numbers (including yours truly) are those souls who don't log finds! Period!

I totally disagree with that. I know people who don't log online who care a great deal about their numbers. They keep detailed logs and statistics. They just don't want others to know.

I also know many people who log online who don't give a whit about their find counts. They long online to let the cache owner know they found the cache (it is the considerate thing to do) and/or to keep found caches out of their pocket queries.

The idea that online logging is necessarily related to a concern with numbers is absurd.

Edited by briansnat
I would say that the practice of creating tribute caches is "all about the numbers".
It may seem that way on the surface, but at least around here, it is more about honoring friendships and recognizing dedication to the hobby. I don't see it as a Bad Thing. Now, if we were putting out Golden Film Cannister caches... well, you know.

I agree, it isn't a numbers thing. In my 'Grand Tribute" write ups, I always ask peole to write something about their favourite cache or a time they've cache with the GRAND cacher. It is meant to recognize the person...not the number of smileys.

I agree, it isn't a numbers thing. In my 'Grand Tribute" write ups, I always ask peole to write something about their favourite cache or a time they've cache with the GRAND cacher. It is meant to recognize the person...not the number of smileys.

Has anyone created a Golden Earthcache for you yet, Lagrac? :antenna:

Oh oh... only 333 Earthcaches to date. You'd better get busy!

Edited by knowschad

Has anyone created a Golden Earthcache for you yet, Lagrac? :antenna:

Oh oh... only 333 Earthcaches to date. You'd better get busy!

As a matter of fact...yes they have:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ca-ae1cb5d9371c

I see there is a new EC in the Cities....looks like it is time for another Twin Cities run.

Old tradition here too for 1K

n1072688838_125852_6793.jpg

I am rather amazed that I have never been aware of these gold/silver ammo can hides. We certainly have a few tribute caches in the Puget Sound area but as far as I know they are never gold/silver. Maybe it is due to the mold/moss/rust that we have to deal with. Or maybe those of us who live in this area are simply not very inventive when it comes to our favorite game. :antenna:

I think a longevity tribute cache would have a lot more meaning these days than one for a number of finds. We will be hitting six years in 11 days. So we are just newbies! :antenna:

The cool thing is the community recognizing and appreciating those who keep making the game fun.

It is easy enough to honor friendships and contributions to the community without waiting for someone to reach X numbers of finds. If there is a member of your community who has run events, placed great caches and generally been an asset to the community why is it necessary for him to reach an arbitrary, set number of finds before the community "honors" him

Waiting until these important community members reach X number of finds before honoring them tells other geocachers (esp the newbies) that it's the find count that is important. They see that golden ammo can and think that is something to strive for. They may not know about the events the honoree ran, the inroads they made with local land managers, the great caches they hid, the assistance they gave to novices and all their contributions to the local geocaching community. They only know that reaching X number of finds gives you recognition.

It is easy enough to honor friendships and contributions to the community without waiting for someone to reach X numbers of finds. If there is a member of your community who has run events, placed great caches and generally been an asset to the community why is it necessary for him to reach an arbitrary, set number of finds before the community "honors" him

Waiting until these important community members reach X number of finds before honoring them tells other geocachers (esp the newbies) that it's the find count that is important. They see that golden ammo can and think that is something to strive for. They may not know about the events the honoree ran, the inroads they made with local land managers, the great caches they hid, the assistance they gave to novices and all their contributions to the local geocaching community. They only know that reaching X number of finds gives you recognition.

You make some very valid points there, Brian, but the tradition has been around since before I started caching, and it just continues as a precedent thing. However, I really like Wrastro's idea of a "longevity tribute". I agree that is more important than the number of finds (as might be the number of hides, but the only "king" in that realm around here would be King Boreas).

As far as longevity, I'm not sure, but that may well be our local reviewer, under his alternate/original caching name. We already have one tribute cache out for his 2000th published cache as a reviewer.

In ALL sports (or activities, if you dare) the winners ALWAYS keep score.

That is not to mean that the ones who keep score are winners. It means that there are those who say "the score doesn't matter" and those who say "the score doesn't matter, but we won"

Hmm. I have a now 15 yr. old daughter and 10 yr. old son. But they both started playing sports at about 5. I have not seen a league in any sport where no score is kept, although I'm sure they exist. I have several times seen the scoreboard being turned off in a blowout though. Which my kids are usually on the wrong end of. :P

Nice reply knowschad, my feelings also.

It’s so sad this post about something positive and fun has taken such an ugly turn. :P Geocaching has been a fun activity for me. It’s great exercise, it’s led me to places I never knew existed and plenty of wildlife. And yes, great way to meet other people.

For me geocaching is about having fun, not competing with others. :)

I should spend more time proof reading my posts. That should have read:

I would *not* say that the practice of creating tribute caches is "all about the numbers". I also believe that's more of an honorarium for someone that achieved a goal.

And, 1000 finds is not just just for noobs. Maybe in the Twin Cities area, or one of the many other locales where there are thousands of caches within 10 miles of where one lives. Finding a 1000 caches can be quite a challenge for those living in cache sparse areas. We don't have dozens of park and grabs available every weekend to find in my area. In fact, in the last month there has only been 1 new cache placed within 20 miles of me, and only 4 caches in the last two months.

And, 1000 finds is not just just for noobs. Maybe in the Twin Cities area, or one of the many other locales where there are thousands of caches within 10 miles of where one lives. Finding a 1000 caches can be quite a challenge for those living in cache sparse areas. We don't have dozens of park and grabs available every weekend to find in my area. In fact, in the last month there has only been 1 new cache placed within 20 miles of me, and only 4 caches in the last two months.

1000 finds is never really for "noobs"... even in a cache-rich area, it takes plenty of time to get to 1000. I was just kidding about that, although it is true that it is much, much easier to get to 1000 now than it used to be, in most areas.

I'm surprised that Ithaca is so sparse... when I look at it in the geocaching maps, I see all sorts of national [edit] state forest land, much of it without caches!

Edited by knowschad

My two gold ammo cans are hidden in the woods!

The forest floor here has many shades of brown and a gold ammo can is nearly invisible against it.

When one of my caches went missing I took my 1k golden ammo can as a temporary replacement, but it fi in to its environment so well that I left it... pretty much in plain sight, yet I've had calls for clues from people looking right at it!

So I did the same with my 2500k golden can. Much easier to hide than green. They just blend right in.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

My two gold ammo cans are hidden in the woods!

The forest floor here has many shades of brown and a gold ammo can is nearly invisible against it.

When one of my caches went missing I took my 1k golden ammo can as a temporary replacement, but it fi in to its environment so well that I left it... pretty much in plain sight, yet I've had calls for clues from people looking right at it!

So I did the same with my 2500k golden can. Much easier to hide than green. They just blend right in.

Of course it helps if you are caching in El Dorado......... :P

I was one of the first to receive a gold ammo can back on July 28, 2002 being the 2nd person to find 1000 caches (not sure if I was first or second to get a gold ammo can). When it was presented it had a log book with congratulatory comments from cachers across the country. One of the interesting entries was a question of how many pair of boots I wore out in the in the quest. I was on my 2nd pair, also drove over 10,000 miles in that quest.

From this log

484392_300.jpg

edit to add photo

Edited by BruceS

To the best of my knowledge I was the first recipient of a golden ammo box , in Sept 26, 2002, arranged by Robert Lipe, and friends the ammo box was full to the top with AA batteries

Joe

edited to add we gave CCCooperAgency a Gold for her 1,000 Sliver for her 5,000 event

I'll concur that the practice originated in Nashville. I know I saw a few of them when I made my first two visits in 2004. The first one given out in NC was presented to WE4NCS after he found The Millennium Cache. Like Joe's, its a real mutha of a multi and doesn't get found too often.

It was the first of over a dozen 1K graduation multis placed in the area back when finding 1000 caches took some real effort. The next generation of cachers morphed the concept into hiding a series of 1K traditional caches.

n1072688838_125852_6793.jpg

Those printouts on the sides are very impressive, at least on a new cache. How are they attached/laminated, and how well do they hold up over time? Those are some very attractive ammo cans!!

Those commemorative cans aren't placed out in the wild; they are presented at the event and the logs are signed by the attendees offering congrats. Mine sits on the top shelf of our home office and is filled with other special mementos from my caching experiences.

Not exactly-while it's certainly possible to attain 1000 finds with a few weeks of busy PnG gathering; if someone is going to spend that much time geocaching, they are also likely to get involved in other aspects of the game, and attend/host event, participate in CITO and in general be a positive contributing member to the local community. At least around here that's how it works.

I'm proud to be part of the gang that brought the tradition to NC and smile every time I see an event posted to present one of these cans.

Joe

I'll concur that the practice originated in Nashville. I know I saw a few of them when I made my first two visits in 2004. The first one given out in NC was presented to WE4NCS after he found The Millennium Cache. Like Joe's, its a real mutha of a multi and doesn't get found too often.

It was the first of over a dozen 1K graduation multis placed in the area back when finding 1000 caches took some real effort. The next generation of cachers morphed the concept into hiding a series of 1K traditional caches.

(((photo deleted to save space)))

Those printouts on the sides are very impressive, at least on a new cache. How are they attached/laminated, and how well do they hold up over time? Those are some very attractive ammo cans!!

Those commemorative cans aren't placed out in the wild; they are presented at the event and the logs are signed by the attendees offering congrats. Mine sits on the top shelf of our home office and is filled with other special mementos from my caching experiences.

Not exactly-while it's certainly possible to attain 1000 finds with a few weeks of busy PnG gathering; if someone is going to spend that much time geocaching, they are also likely to get involved in other aspects of the game, and attend/host event, participate in CITO and in general be a positive contributing member to the local community. At least around here that's how it works.

I'm proud to be part of the gang that brought the tradition to NC and smile every time I see an event posted to present one of these cans.

But why does it have to be tied in with find count? Why not award a gold or silver or whatever color can to someone who negotiated a geocaching policy with a park? Why not for hosting a 20th event? Why not for running an intro to geocaching seminar at the local library? Or hosting a CITO?

I know many cachers with find counts in the thousands who contribute nothing to the sport beyond finding caches. They don't run events, they don't hide caches, they don't work with land managers. They just find caches. Nothing wrong with that, it is what they are into.

Yet why should they receive accolades for reaching an arbitrary, round number of cache finds while the guy who organized the regional geocaching club or volunteered to help bring off a successful major event or negotiated with a park to reverse a ban on geocaching or contributed to the sport in countless other ways be ignored because he only has 404 finds?

I still think that the emphasis on find count is misplaced and sends the wrong message.

I'd have to add that after reaching that goal and being given mine (which is the final of one of my Giving Back series, GC1KE6R Giving Back #13 Sam Davis' Home) I appreciate seeing others in our area reaching that milestone. We have 3 or 4 to give out, two of them this next month and the other two we have to nail down a date.

...while the guy who organized the regional geocaching club or volunteered to help bring off a successful major event or negotiated with a park to reverse a ban on geocaching or contributed to the sport in countless other ways be ignored because he only has 404 finds?

But as a guy with 404 finds who has helped organize a a regional geocaching club, volunteered to help bring off a successful major event and negotiated with a park to reverse a ban on geocaching and contributed in other ways (not countless), I don't begrudge celebrating someone else's milestones.

I haven't been married for 50 years yet, but I'm going to be happy for and congratulate someone that does - when all they really accomplished was keeping a promise and not dying. And that "50" is nothing more than an arbitrary round number. :P

Edited by Markwell

But why does it have to be tied in with find count? Why not award a gold or silver or whatever color can to someone who negotiated a geocaching policy with a park? Why not for hosting a 20th event? Why not for running an intro to geocaching seminar at the local library? Or hosting a CITO?

Of COURSE it doesn't HAVE to, Brian, but that is the way we, as humans, generally work. Do you celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and graduations? We don't HAVE to celebrate Christmas every Dec 25... goodness knows that many people don't, but we chose to because it it a round number in the base ten numbering system for what we imagine to be the birth of Jesus Christ. Its a number. Relax... there are other things that are important. I'm sure you bring your wife flowers sometimes for no reason, but I'll also venture to guess that you try your darndest to not forget your anniversary. Numbers DO count in our society, particularily round numbers, as dumb as that may be.