winter

Elementry

we are new to geocaching and started trying to find some even in the snow.We went to some and we could not find the cach. It would be nice to see not avaliable in the winter sign. We also noticed some have just been disabled and the owner acctually said it was due to the winter.

The season lasts so long here that we hope that caches will be available year round.

ideas for winter cach or great stories of ones that exsit would be great.

Here is a post I made in a slightly different topic regarding "Winter Friendly" caches

I just spend the past two weeks geocaching around the Brampton, St. Catharines, Port Dover areas.

I is amazing how many caches were classified as "Winter Friendly", that were on the ground. (and there was snow on the ground when I was there). A comment I added several times was "Well the cache would be winter friendly if it was in a place that gets no snow like Florida".

If I see a "Winter Friendly" cache I would expect to find it in the snow.

Any "Winter Friendly" in Northern are definitely "Not-on-the-ground caches" and are elevated well above the snow so they do not get covered in snow. Any on the ground are definitely "Not Winter Friendly"

There have been a fair numbers of caches in Northern Ontario, where I have needed snow-shoes to get to the cache. Another big benefit of winter caching is no bugs and you can most likely walk to a cache where you would need a canoe or boat in the summer.

Winter caches can be fun if you take two very persistent children along who will not give up until the cache has been excavated:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...e7-994dd41f68c9

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...0a-d649137680d4

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...05-eda9f0347679

Seriously, the lack of heavy plant growth and mosquitoes and other biting insects is a big plus for winter caching.

There are different opinions of what the "Available in Winter" actually means. It can be challenging to know what the CO means when they use that icon without extra text in the descriptions.

It can mean the cache is there and the area is accessible

or

It can mean it was placed so it is not affected by snow

I feel it should be the second one, and in the case of the first then the cache should be disabled if it is not available in winter

:D CD

Well i have my first out and it is winter available "Sulpur springs" and is nested in the mouth of a cave and somewhat protected from the snow. I checked on it an was shocked to see snowy foot prints all around and above it. A tree that blocks the veiw really works well and makes some decide to hike above it i mean right above it. so of course i went up and took a look.the L7L are right on top of it and i can tell this has frustrated the some detective skilled geocachers. Snow can make it much easier for one to find it as long as the tracks are not mine...lol

Well i have my first out and it is winter available "Sulpur springs" and is nested in the mouth of a cave and somewhat protected from the snow. I checked on it an was shocked to see snowy foot prints all around and above it. A tree that blocks the veiw really works well and makes some decide to hike above it i mean right above it. so of course i went up and took a look.the L7L are right on top of it and i can tell this has frustrated the some detective skilled geocachers. Snow can make it much easier for one to find it as long as the tracks are not mine...lol