Here's your sign! (Cacher's car stuck at field)

Sileny Jizda

Shortcut May Cost Geocachers (Link)

Shortcut may cost geocachers

Coshocton man cited after driving car onto football practice field

By Joe Mizer

The Times-Reporter

Posted Dec 13, 2009 @ 11:52 PM

The driver and passengers of this car, which was driven across a football practice field at Waterworks Park and was eventually stuck in the soft ground, were given a ride to a local business Sunday at New Philadelphia.

An expedition into geocaching Sunday ended for three Coshocton men with Nathan C. Vestal, 24, of 1701 Orchard St. being charged by New Philadelphia police with criminal trespassing.

Officer Ty Norris said Vestal, with two other Coshocton residents as passengers, drove his Chevrolet Corsica onto a football practice field behind the Waterworks Baseball Fields off Mill Ave. SW.

A passerby reported seeing the vehicle stuck in the mud behind the ballfields at 3:18 p.m. Norris said Sunday night the vehicle will remain there until a towing company and New Philadelphia parks and recreation officials figure out a way to remove it without causing further damage.

“About 20 feet of the practice field was torn up,” Norris said. He noted that Vestal drove onto the field “because they thought they could make it through.”

Geocaching, according to its Internet Web site, is a high-tech treasure-hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices....

Post your thoughts or stories. :)

The following news article appeared on the front page of todays local newspaper, The Times-Reporter in New Philadelphia, Ohio. There was also an accompanying photograph showing the vehicle sunk in mud up to its axle behind the centerfield fence at the youth baseball field. There is no access road around this field; the cachers decided that it was to far to walk and tried to drive around on the grass instead.

Cachers please show respect for other peoples property and privacy. This kind of bad press will only make it harder for our sport to be accepted in this community. Self-control and common sense people.

Coshocton man cited after driving car onto football practice field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Joe Mizer

The Times-Reporter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.An expedition into geocaching Sunday ended for three Coshocton, Ohio men with Nathan C. Vestal, 24, of 1701 Orchard St. being charged by New Philadelphia, Ohio police with criminal trespassing.

Officer Ty Norris said Vestal, with two other Coshocton residents as passengers, drove his Chevrolet Corsica onto a football practice field behind the Waterworks Baseball Fields off Mill Ave. SW.

A passerby reported seeing the vehicle stuck in the mud behind the ballfields at 3:18 p.m. Norris said Sunday night the vehicle will remain there until a towing company and New Philadelphia parks and recreation officials figure out a way to remove it without causing further damage.

“About 20 feet of the practice field was torn up,” Norris said. He noted that Vestal drove onto the field “because they thought they could make it through.”

Geocaching, according to its Internet Web site, is a high-tech treasure-hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices.

The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share their experiences online. “Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment,” the Web site says.

Norris said the men found the hidden geocache nearby while he was writing Vestal his citation, and while they were waiting for a tow truck. Once the tow truck driver arrived, they decided not to attempt to pull out the car.

“They may have to wait until the ground freezes,” Norris said. He added that in addition to the citation, Vestal will be charged a towing fee and “whatever it costs the city to fix what was damaged.”

Norris took the three men to a Bluebell Dr. NW business to await a ride back to Coshocton. He urges anyone doing geocaching to “just use common sense, that’s the primary thing.”

I hope they think twice next time they are in a situation like that. But they should have left the geocaching part out. But I guess you can't lie to the police. I agree it is not geocachings's fault for someone else's stupidity. We were going to try for a cache behind a school. The cache owner says the best way was to go through the school after school is out. We passed on it. There are still plenty of caches out ther Alamogul says.

Edited by jellis

The real question is, did they log the DNF?

"Should have been a quick PNG but we had a little problem..."

The article says the 2 passengers actually found the cache while the driver was being written his citation. :)

D'oh!

So the question is, what did they write in the log? "Quick PNG, TFTC?"

So let me get this straight.

The newspaper article basically says that some guy was being stupid while geocaching and that means geocaching is a stupid activity? OK, it doesn't say that.

I would give the article writer credit for adding in the geocachers typically have a strong sense of commumity. They could have left out that the cacher was geocaching while he got stuck

The writer could have rewritten the article to say that geocachers come from all walks of life, including those that don't have the best common sense.

And this makes me wonder. What in the world makes a person think it's OK to drive a car on a sports field? What exactly ARE these people thinking?!

These are the same type of people that give GPS a bad name. I read a story about a year ago where someone drove their car down railroad track then said that the GPS said to go there.

Yesterday my GPS tried to send me on a oneway road in my town in the wrong direction. :) I said "Stupid GPS" and ignored it - I knew where I was and where I was going anyway.

The most interesting question this raises is the last line of the article... they may have to leave their car there until the ground freezes! :)

Wonder how long that car will sit there, a beacon to the whole community "Here's your sign!".

Every day as he walks past his car on his way to work you know he looks at it and thinks "If I ever get it back I'm buyin' some mudders!"

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

The most interesting question this raises is the last line of the article... they may have to leave their car there until the ground freezes! :)

Wonder how long that car will sit there, a beacon to the whole community "Here's your sign!".

Every day as he walks past his car on his way to work you know he looks at that it and thinks "Shoulda bought mud tires."

I don't even think mud tires would have helped that car. It was destined to get stuck.

I can't help but wonder if the cop asked the tow truck driver to leave it there to teach the guy a lesson. You know it can't be fun to see your car stuck waiting for the second bill from the tow truck company.

I don't even think mud tires would have helped that car. It was destined to get stuck.

I can't help but wonder if the cop asked the tow truck driver to leave it there to teach the guy a lesson. You know it can't be fun to see your car stuck waiting for the second bill from the tow truck company.

The tow bill is nothing compared to what they are going to charge him to re-turf the field.

The tow bill is nothing compared to what they are going to charge him to re-turf the field.

Depending on his luck, the insurance company might pick up the tab for that. If he's smart, he would head out there with a shovel and some seed after the car is gone and fix it himself.

Wow, opened up the forums after work tonight and what do i see!? Why that's my home town! Those are the ball fields at which I played up until high school. I've since moved away to complete school, but never thought in a million years I'd see something like this on a world-wide forum. The Tuscarawas River runs behind the ballfields. Not too far away is a water treatment facility, hence the name "Water Works Fields." No wonder it was soupy and muddy. It's a floodplain for crying out loud! I don't know what possessed the dude to try and get his car through there, but he sure paid for it. lol I'm still in shock that my little po-dunk hometown got some publicity, albeit bad press. The first thing i thought was "Leave it to good ol' Phila to come out with something like this." Sure, it's good for a laugh I guess but, unfortunately, people make bad decisions no matter what their activity of choice. I'm sure when I get home for Christmas my mom will that that article clipped and show it to me. Now I can tell her it hasn't been just the talk of the town, the story reached a far wider audience!

These are the same type of people that give GPS a bad name. I read a story about a year ago where someone drove their car down railroad track then said that the GPS said to go there.

Yesterday my GPS tried to send me on a oneway road in my town in the wrong direction. :laughing: I said "Stupid GPS" and ignored it - I knew where I was and where I was going anyway.

Yes, there are a lot of "Old School" Truck Drivers that talk smack all day about GPS. I guess that they don't realize that it's nothing more than a glorified electronic map.

They say things like..."If you need a GPS you shouldn't be driving a truck" of "If you can't read a map..."

I guess they think drivers are just blindly staring at the GPS and driving like they were in a simulator??

@knowschad:

Totally! The ballfields aren't very far from my mom's. I doubt the local police will let the car sit there for very long. They've probably winched it out already. However, I will go snap a picture of the aftermath. I'll go ahead a figure out what cache it was so i can find the whereabouts.

Shortcut May Cost Geocachers (Link)

Coshocton man cited after driving car onto football practice field

By Joe Mizer

The Times-Reporter

The driver and passengers of this car, which was driven across a football practice field at Waterworks Park and was eventually stuck in the soft ground, were given a ride to a local business Sunday at New Philadelphia.

An expedition into geocaching Sunday ended for three Coshocton men with Nathan C. Vestal, 24, of 1701 Orchard St. being charged by New Philadelphia police with criminal trespassing.

Geocaching, according to its Internet Web site, is a high-tech treasure-hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices....

Post your thoughts or stories. :D

so was it a 35mm film cannister with magnet stuck to top of goalposts?

even standing on roof of car wouldn't raise you high enough. :D