107 finds, 2 days, around the world!

EraSeek

I apologize in advance for my limited knowledge of the technology here but (as 2 people have mentioned now) why hasn't his/her IP addresses been banned? Wouldn't that solve a good portion, if not all, of the problem?

Not to hard to have access to multiple ip addresses across a spectrum of networks. The account needs to be stopped.

Hey, you asked. :antenna:

And you did not answer.

I asked you for an example of a cache logging practice you deem unacceptable.

You claimed that you were not accepting "anything and everything" in cache logging practices. I asked you for an example of something you would not find acceptable. You avoided the question. Please answer it.

No.

If it were anyone else asking I would give it my best shot. But not you.

I will NOT engage in debate with a person who makes a chronic habit of insulting people.

Personal attack is not debate. When you can demonstrate that you have (1) learned the difference, and (2) are willing to discuss such questions academically instead of being personally abusive, I will reconsider addressing your question.

Until then you do not get to debate with KBI. I am a patient dude, but I have my limits.

I think the whole thing is some social experiment to just see how quickly the forum freaks (term of endearment) can be filled with so much angst.

This freak thanks you, for the term of endearment. :antenna: Yeah, I didn't even look at this guys stats until just know. It's gotta be someone just messing with us forum freaks. A couple of months after Oculus Prime blew down the east coast, someone logged 100 fake finds in New Jersey, it was noticed by the Mid-Atlantic forum, and I was quite certain someone was just trolling us there too.

It takes about 2 seconds to obtain a new IP address, although in the same "range", with the same ISP. Assuming you don't still use a dial-up connection. Does anyone still do that?

Can't you all see that this geek is a troll enjoying all the fuzz on this forum? Ignore the fool, and he will soon get bored. If he logs any of my caches I will just delete the logs with no words said or written.

:antenna:Shhhhh.... that is exactly why I posted this:

just wish this guy would put his stats up on his profile page!
I'm keeping an eye out to see if he does just that. Mum's the word, now. :antenna:

I apologize in advance for my limited knowledge of the technology here but (as 2 people have mentioned now) why hasn't his/her IP addresses been banned? Wouldn't that solve a good portion, if not all, of the problem?

Not to hard to have access to multiple ip addresses across a spectrum of networks. The account needs to be stopped.

Right, I understand that. But most people tend to use only a few routinely (home/work or school/friend's). I'm imagining a pimply-faced 15 year old yucking it up with a buddy instead of doing his/her homework. The maturity level of this individual would certainly indicate so...I know I may be wrong. :antenna:

And no offense meant to 15 year olds. I realize there are tons of responsible and mature 15 year olds out there who wouldn't waste their time with this type of shenanigans.

2. Groundspeak can do little more than ban this guy's account.

<pedantic>

Groundspeak can do a great deal more than banning the account,

</pedantic>

and I am presuming they have not done so yet for good reasons. I would trust that Groundspeak has this issue well in hand. They are quite competent!

These logs are, for now, a nuisance and don't affect the game too much for most of us, but, like spam, they pose the threat of becoming a real problem. My guess is that Groundspeak is developing an effective response to prevent this from becoming a more serious issue.

My guess is Groundspeak are busy with their annual Christmas party and will deal with it when the hangovers have passed. :antenna:

I will NOT engage in debate with a person who makes a chronic habit of insulting people.

Oh, please.

I've let you rant on about this because I've been trying to stay on the subject. But this has to be the most blatant case of the pot calling the kettle black I have ever seen. If you need to discuss this, you can always use email. But keep it out of the forums.

All I asked for was clarification. I am not interested in debate. I am interested in discussion. You claimed that you did not condone "anything and everything" in logging. Please give an example of something you find unacceptable in logging. Avoiding the question with personal harangues is still avoiding the question.

I've let you rant on about this because I've been trying to stay on the subject.
Let him? As opposed to making him stop I guess. I wasn't aware you were in charge of what KBI is allowed to post. I'm glad you cleared that up.

But this has to be the most blatant case of the pot calling the kettle black I have ever seen.
Oh really. KBI gave you a link with a very recent example of you being very insulting (to me and a few other people). Can you give links to where KBI was insulting to people that were trying to help him? (edit to add that last part, I'm sure he's given it back after someone was insulting to him first, unlike what you're known to do - see the link above for an example) I'm just curious what he's said that you think is equal to your work, Mr. Kettle.

And to stay on topic, I too do not condone "anything and everything". Curious as to what I would find unacceptable in logging?

Edited by Mushtang
so it doesn't bother u at all to see this?

Why would it bother a person to see that there is a less-than-honest cacher out there?

It takes nothing out of the hobby for me. If it wasn't posted here I would have never known about it.

I may not respect the person who does this but my respect for geocaching hasn't changed a single bit

Well said.

If anyone feels the need to wring your hands or gnash your teeth over this, knock yourself out. I'll be out enjoying my favorite hobby and ignoring this non-storm.

Too funny! After 17 more responses to the thread you show no sign of letting up. I definitely sense some teeth knashing coming from your general direction. And the person you are quoting, who also claims not to care about the original topic, has contributed almost as many protestations of disinterest.

Right, I understand that. But most people tend to use only a few routinely (home/work or school/friend's). I'm imagining a pimply-faced 15 year old yucking it up with a buddy instead of doing his/her homework. The maturity level of this individual would certainly indicate so...I know I may be wrong. :antenna:

And no offense meant to 15 year olds. I realize there are tons of responsible and mature 15 year olds out there who wouldn't waste their time with this type of shenanigans.

Most internet ner-do-wells use what is called a "proxy server" which allows them to appear to be posting from somewhere else.

If GS blocks the IP address they just click a button and they have a new IP address. There are tons of proxy servers out there and for GS to even try to block all of them would take a lot of resources and, eventually, end up blocking legitimate IP addresses.

Most internet ner-do-wells use what is called a "proxy server" which allows them to appear to be posting from somewhere else.

If GS blocks the IP address they just click a button and they have a new IP address. There are tons of proxy servers out there and for GS to even try to block all of them would take a lot of resources and, eventually, end up blocking legitimate IP addresses.

Ah...didn't know that. I thought your IP address was like your fingerprint.

I learn sumpin new everyday.... thanks!

It is, but if you were to stick your hands into gloves, all you would leave is the glove's prints, not yours.

It is, but if you were to stick your hands into gloves, all you would leave is the glove's prints, not yours.

I guess I just don't know enough about how to hijack the internets. Perhaps I'll add that to my list of New Years Resolutions. :antenna:

I do appreciate the info though - :antenna:

If anyone feels the need to wring your hands or gnash your teeth over this, knock yourself out. I'll be out enjoying my favorite hobby and ignoring this non-storm.

Too funny! After 17 more responses to the thread you show no sign of letting up. I definitely sense some teeth knashing coming from your general direction. And the person you are quoting, who also claims not to care about the original topic, has contributed almost as many protestations of disinterest.

Translation: "By the very act of claiming disinterest, you forfeit all right to claim disinterest."

Fascinating theory. I’ll keep it under consideration.

Jim: I’m thinking of parting my hair on the other side, but I can’t decide what to do because I’m afraid it might upset someone.

Bob: It doesn’t matter to me.

Jim: There! You spoke up! That means you DO have a preference! Why are you gnashing your teeth over which side I part my hair?

Translation: "By the very act of claiming disinterest, you forfeit all right to claim disinterest."

Jim: I’m thinking of parting my hair on the other side, but I can’t decide what to do because I’m afraid it might upset someone.

Jim: There! You spoke up! That means you DO have a preference! Why are you gnashing your teeth over which side I part my hair?

Why did I suddenly flash on one of me and my wife's conversations about which restaurant to go to?

My experience with a serial bogus logger is not plesent

A while back we had a guy localy who logged over 100 local caches his first day of caching. Several of us checked our log books and sure enough, no signature. Some of us deleted logs. Trying to be nice, I sent him an email politly advising him that he needs to sign the log. Next thing, my ammo can is gone.

I e-mailed Groundspeak about the fake logs, and they sent a reply that it is not their consern, that the COs should just check the log books. Anyway, he seems to have dissapeared, but tones of his logs are still around. Some of them have kept muggled caches alive when they should have been archived. Kind of anoying.

More like:

Bob: Really, It doesn’t matter to me.

Bob: It doesn’t matter to me one tiny bit.

Bob: I'm dead serious, it doesn’t matter to me.

Bob: I don't get why it would matter to anybody else, it disen't matter to me

Bob: Honestly it doesn’t matter to me in the least.

Jim: OK, OK Bob I get it. But it might matter to my girlfirend.

Bob: Well it shouldn't, because it doesn't matter to me, really, it doesn't

Bob: Why would it matter to her anyway? It's not her hair.

Bob: Why would it matter to anybody? It doesn't matter to me.

Motorcycle Moma Closing this thread.

And all one letter posts.

I just sent them a one letter e-mail. :antenna::antenna:

k

He logged a few local caches around me, so I e-mailed the cache owners and let them know what was going on.

They can decide for themselves if they want to do something about it.

The geo-police strike again.

(I found a pin in a cache that says, "geo-police" on it. I'm official now!)

If I change my mind and decide to start caring about people posting fake logs, what will happen exactly?

Angels shall lift you on high, and thou shalt soar as eagles with the rest of the Smugarians. :D

Thou shalt not posteth a fake logeth. To do so will bring uponst you the wrath of the geo-deity! :)

Not to speak of the whole cast of characters in the forums!! :P

Motorcycle Mama rocks, but I don't think that all the blame should fall on Bob when a thread gets closed. Jim should take a closer look at his behavior.

Motorcycle Mama is friggen psychic!

She had the foresight and wisdom to close the Are we allowing the degradation of geocaching? False logs are getting ridiculous! thread only 2 hours and 20 minutes before this thread was divinely created !

It had been dormant for 10 days when it was bumped the same day that "Geocachingdog" created his account, which can only be explained by the reasoning in "The Celestine Prophecy"!!! :):P

More like:

Bob: Really, It doesn’t matter to me.

Bob: It doesn’t matter to me one tiny bit.

Bob: I'm dead serious, it doesn’t matter to me.

Bob: I don't get why it would matter to anybody else, it disen't matter to me

Bob: Honestly it doesn’t matter to me in the least.

Jim: OK, OK Bob I get it. But it might matter to my girlfirend.

Bob: Well it shouldn't, because it doesn't matter to me, really, it doesn't

Bob: Why would it matter to her anyway? It's not her hair.

Bob: Why would it matter to anybody? It doesn't matter to me.

You left out a huge chunk of the exchange: Each of those Bob posts was made in response to specific statements from non-Bobs – posts which were at least as repetitive as the ones in your account. I don’t see any of those posts in your version.

It’s easy to present a warped and inaccurate picture when you take statements out of context.

So I ask you: If my posts in this thread were too numerous for you approval, then how many is too many? At what post number do I forfeit my right to respond to other people’s posts?

More like:

<SNIP>

Nailed it.

She might as well close it. Dog is banned. Just today, it looks like.

More like:

<SNIP>

Nailed it.

She might as well close it. Dog is banned. Just today, it looks like.

woo hoo finally, things were getting scary there! but what if he decides to open another account and keep doing it?

Woo hoo finally, things were getting scary there!

No need to be afraid. Signal will protect us from the inherent evils of bogus logging practices. :D:):P

I guess so...

geocachingdog

Email Address: The "send message" feature is disabled because this user is currently banned.

Edited by Stunod