107 finds, 2 days, around the world!

EraSeek

Some people just take the fun out of this whole concept....

I don't understand. How does someone else's questionable logging practices "take the fun" out of caching for you?

All my memories of all the good times I've had while caching, are still good memories. Someone else's actions cannot change that.

I don't understand. How does someone else's questionable logging practices "take the fun" out of caching for you?

All my memories of all the good times I've had while caching, are still good memories. Someone else's actions cannot change that.

so it doesn't bother u at all to see this?

I have a problem with fake logging but then again I'm a cache cop. :D

I dont see why it would bother someone... caching is a personal thing right? the numbers mean nothing, its all about the experience for each person. its not a competition. if someone wants to cheat then they are missing out the CO can always delete the logs if they want

Why would it bother a person to see that there is a less-than-honest cacher out there?

It takes nothing out of the hobby for me. If it wasn't posted here I would have never known about it.

I may not respect the person who does this but my respect for geocaching hasn't changed a single bit.

As I have been known to say. (I) Don't pet the sweaty things.

Why would it bother a person to see that there is a less-than-honest cacher out there?

It takes nothing out of the hobby for me. If it wasn't posted here I would have never known about it.

I may not respect the person who does this but my respect for geocaching hasn't changed a single bit.

Why does it bother you if it bothers someone else?

I don't understand. How does someone else's questionable logging practices "take the fun" out of caching for you? All my memories of all the good times I've had while caching, are still good memories. Someone else's actions cannot change that.

This thing isn't even sweaty, though. This "logger" (I refuse to call it a cacher) has apparently not even left the keyboard to achieve their 107 finds. I don't know about you, but I had to work a bit for miine. It bothers me. Deal with it.

I guess it can when Groundspeak has the questionable practice of archiving virtual caches because they are getting armchair logged and the cache owner appears to be absent or at least not taking any action to stop it. Recently and old virtual cache in Hollywood that has been on my "I'll get around to doing it one day" list was archived because of armchair logs. Seeing that I decided that today I would visit and see if I could get the answer. Well when I try to log I find Groudspeak has locked the page.

Well I had a good time find this virtual finally. And if Groundspeak wants to prevent me from logging it just because of someone else's questionable logging practices that is their prerogative. I think it is a stupid approach to take. If they want to get rid of the remaining virtuals, they should simple announce that as of some date all the virtuals will be archived and locked. From this day forward my GSAK count will not be the same as my Groundspeak count.

Nope. Sorry. Doesn't bother me in the least. I'd have to look up my stats to see how many caches I've found, but I can assure you, each one was located by me, and bears my signature. If, (for argument's sake), I had 1200 finds, that equals 1200 individual experiences that no one can take from me. While I might feel amusement when contemplating whatever game this guy is playing, (it sure as heck isn't geocaching), I'm not quite holier-than-thou enough to see their actions as sinful, worthy of a visit from the pitchfork & torch bearing crowd. Maybe if enough of us mob together and yell "Blasphemer" at the top of our lungs, they'll be so humiliated that they'll slink back to whatever depths of despair they came from? :D

Nope. Sorry. Doesn't bother me in the least. I'd have to look up my stats to see how many caches I've found, but I can assure you, each one was located by me, and bears my signature. If, (for argument's sake), I had 1200 finds, that equals 1200 individual experiences that no one can take from me. While I might feel amusement when contemplating whatever game this guy is playing, (it sure as heck isn't geocaching), I'm not quite holier-than-thou enough to see their actions as sinful, worthy of a visit from the pitchfork & torch bearing crowd. Maybe if enough of us mob together and yell "Blasphemer" at the top of our lungs, they'll be so humiliated that they'll slink back to whatever depths of despair they came from? :D

I like that I duly agree! :D

Well I had a good time find this virtual finally.

In the future, knowing Groundspeak's proclivity for locking virts which have been abused, it'd be a good idea to check the listing prior to making the ride. Might save you some gas and/or frustration. On a related note, I'd be willing to bet that if you presented your case to TPTB, including the GC number, they'd let you log it. Seems like a reasonable request, especially from someone who feels the need to precisely match their find count with their GSAK count.

Um, could you please describe, in fine detail, just which part of my reply would indicate that I am, in any way, bothered by others being bothered about people who bother to log caches they never bothered to visit.

Thank you.

:D

It doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't log finds without actually finding them, and if I knew someone had logged a bogus find on one of my caches I'd delete it, but if someone else is doing this on someone else's caches it doesn't bother me in the least.

Um, could you please describe, in fine detail, just which part of my reply would indicate that I am, in any way, bothered by others being bothered about people who bother to log caches they never bothered to visit.

Thank you. :D

If I may reply for Briansnat, "Don't pet the sweaty things." does it for me.

This thing isn't even sweaty, though. This "logger" (I refuse to call it a cacher) has apparently not even left the keyboard to achieve their 107 finds. I don't know about you, but I had to work a bit for miine. It bothers me. Deal with it.

I, hereby, accept and acknowledge that a cacher (whether person or animal) is free to develop angst through observation of the actions, perceived or actual, of another person or animal in which those actions do not, in any way, directly, or indirectly, affect said cacher now, in the past, or in the future.

Consider it dealth with.

Edited by bittsen

I may not respect the person who does this but my respect for geocaching hasn't changed a single bit

Well said.

If anyone feels the need to wring your hands or gnash your teeth over this, knock yourself out. I'll be out enjoying my favorite hobby and ignoring this non-storm.

I predict the boys over at the Froggie Kremlin will sweep up this odd little mess pretty soon anyway. When you’re TPTB, It’s easy to assist cache owners in their log-management duties when the miscreant delivers all his rotten eggs to you in one basket.

I may not respect the person who does this but my respect for geocaching hasn't changed a single bit

Well said.

If anyone feels the need to wring your hands or gnash your teeth over this, knock yourself out. I'll be out enjoying my favorite hobby and ignoring this non-storm.

I predict the boys over at the Froggie Kremlin will sweep up this odd little mess pretty soon anyway. When you’re TPTB, It’s easy to assist cache owners in their log-management duties when the miscreant delivers all his rotten eggs to you in one basket.

LOL!! yes indeed..as crafty as this fellow is...the manhunt to bust him was successfull.I'll sleep better tonight. :D

For anyone that thinks that there is no harm to come from this sort of "armchair logging" and that they should just sit silently by and let it continue, please see this recent post by Toz: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=237817

We need to nip these things in the bud, in my opinion.

That's a Groundspeak policy issue, not a cacher issue.

If it bothered me, I would write to GS about the policy of locking caches that have been armchair logged.

For anyone that thinks that there is no harm to come from this sort of "armchair logging" and that they should just sit silently by and let it continue, please see this recent post by Toz: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=237817

I disagree. Did you read the second post in that thread? A Moderator/Reviewer offered to make it right for him. No harm done.

He also made it clear the only caches being archived are the ones which are not being maintained. Well-attended virts aren’t a problem. For some reason bogus loggers don’t seem very interested in virts which are policed by their owners. You can’t blame the armchair-logging bozos for the failures of absentee cache owners.

I disagree. Did you read the second post in that thread? A Moderator/Reviewer offered to make it right for him. No harm done.

He also made it clear the only caches being archived are the ones which are not being maintained. Well-attended virts aren't a problem. For some reason bogus loggers don't seem very interested in virts which are policed by their owners. You can't blame the armchair-logging bozos for the failures of absentee cache owners.

Why does the "I don't care" faction even feel like they need to report on their indifference and apathy? I don't need to hear (once again) that you don't care. I know that you don't care. Just go back to whatever you were doing, and allow us to care, OK?

Thank you.

but obviously you are bothered by people who bother to accuse you of being bothered by others being bothered by people who bother them by bothering to log finds on caches they definately havent even bothered to find.

He also made it clear the only caches being archived are the ones which are not being maintained. Well-attended virts aren't a problem. For some reason bogus loggers don't seem very interested in virts which are policed by their owners. You can't blame the armchair-logging bozos for the failures of absentee cache owners.

Why does the "I don't care" faction even feel like they need to report on their indifference and apathy? I don't need to hear (once again) that you don't care. I know that you don't care. Just go back to whatever you were doing, and allow us to care, OK?

You gave your opinion; I gave mine.

I respect your right to express your opinion. I expect you to return the same consideration. Is that asking too much?

True. Unless.... he posts a find to a missing cache that, up to that point had a string of DNFs posted to it. That makes it look like the cache is back in action. And if I end up wasting my time and gas on a wild goose chase because of that idiot's log, then it has affected me and my pocketbook.

True. Unless.... he posts a find to a missing cache that, up to that point had a string of DNFs posted to it. That makes it look like the cache is back in action. And if I end up wasting my time and gas on a wild goose chase because of that idiot's log, then it has affected me and my pocketbook.

You mean like this one? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fa-23981bd895fe

or this one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5f-8c50ecb8d1dc

and how did he get this one? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...47-814dd280e6d0

Edited by EraSeek

Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?

Knowing that such a thing is possible, it is your choice whether to risk your time and pocketbook on a single report from one unknown cacher.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t risk it too; I’m just saying I would take responsibility for my own judgment call.