Making my first coin.

Team Idasam

I'm wanting to get started on my first personal coin, but the problem is that I don't know where to start. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there that I've seen to help people along the process of creating a geocoin. I need help with the design, I need to find a reliable mint. What's the process of getting it approved by Groundspeak? How do the icons work? How much will it cost? etc. I'm in the dark here. Someone with a flashlight would be helpful. :D Anything that you can tell me would be great.

There is plenty to read in Eartha's pinned thread on geocoin resources. There have also been a couple of threads on this subject just in the last couple of weeks.

Have you ever used the search tool? You might be surprised at how much information you can dig up here alone. Happy hunting.

Edit to add..... just recently a very experienced coin trader/collector/maker suggested to someone asking this question that they pick out a coin they really like, find out who made it and contact that person for advise.

Edited by Droo

There is plenty to read in Eartha's pinned thread on geocoin resources. There have also been a couple of threads on this subject just in the last couple of weeks.

Have you ever used the search tool? You might be surprised at how much information you can dig up here alone. Happy hunting.

Edit to add..... just recently a very experienced coin trader/collector/maker suggested to someone asking this question that they pick out a coin they really like, find out who made it and contact that person for advise.

Well, the compass roses have always been my fav., but I've also heard from a very reliable source that Coins and Pins can be difficult to deal with. Now, I was told that a couple of years ago, so things may have changed and I don't have any personal dealings with him/them, so I don't know. I'm by no means saying that they are difficult to deal with. I simply don't know if they are. But with all the garbage going on with AEtoys, So Cal, TnT, and Coinswag in recent months and years, I don't know who to trust. If I'm going to make a $1,000 investment, I want my return.

If I'm going to make a $1,000 investment, I want my return.

It is a huge investment and you are wise to proceed with caution. My best advice is to read the pinned thread and contact numerous vendors with your ideas. They will get you an estimate for your personal coin and then you can compare/contrast prices AND the way the company has handled preparing the estimate for you. Were they responsive to your emails and questions in a timely manner? Can they produce the final product in the amount of time you have in mind (especially if you need the coin in time for an event or some other special date)? Ask them for references and then contact the references and ask them how they liked working with that particular vendor.

Good luck and can't wait to see your coin... :D

Here is my suggestion and probably nontraditional.

You mentioned you wanted to get a return on your investment. There is no guarantee that you will get a return on your investment if you plan to sell the coins on your own.

Just because "you heard" about a vendor, doesn't mean you should bnelieve everything you hear. Why don't you contact the vendors and judge based on your own experience. CnP has been around for awhile, must be a reason for it, huh?

You have very few choices should you want to have a vednor sell your design, so instead of asking everyone here which you are subject to get varying opinions, spend your time getting results by writing the vendors.

If you plan to work on a design and sell it yourself, you might first think about engaging with the community you are trying to sell to. Very few coin designs sell out. The forums are very misleading in regards to how well geocoins are truly selling. Many in the community would rather buy from someone who has been active here and in the caching community. You'd still probably sell coins no matter what but you'll do much better being active here first.

Do your research, there are a bunch of threads that talk about everything you have asked, you just have to look for them. I know a number of us have typed alot on coins, costs, the ups and downs, etc. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort that goes into making a geocoin.

Time and patience are a virtue.

Good luck and the above post is only based on what I observe and/or learned in the time I have been here.

tsun