Garmin Nuvi 255W

tarnall

With the nuvi 255W, use the regular Automotive Mode to get you in the vicinity. Once parked somewhere close, switch it to Pedestrian Mode and close in as close as you can. Next, go back to the Map/Where to? screen and touch the battery meter in the top left corner. This will bring you to the real-time sattelite screen. Find the co-ordinates in the top center and start moving until both co-ordinates coincide with the caches numbers. It really helps to have an idea of your N/S/E/W directions so you have an idea which way to move , but just watch the co-ordinates change as you move along and you should get as close as with a handheld unit. Also, watch the bottom right on the screen and you can see how accurate the unit is tracking. We started with the same GPSr and did OK for the first 30 or so!

Edited by Sam&Ziggy

I have a Nuvi 255W as well.

When you drive as close as you can to the cache switch to pedestrian and off road mode in the options.

After that just zoom in as much as possible and walk towards the cache.

The GPS is pretty accurate with the latest versions.

There is a vehicle available out there that shows just a circle which allows to see when you are really close to the cache.

The other screen that I use is the dashboard that shows the distance to the cache. When you are just a few feet away, time to start looking around and not at the gps.

Just remember that you need to be moving for the GPS to know where you are.

Sometimes what it seems that its stuck I just move it up and down several times and that seems to do the trick. :D

With the nuvi 255W, use the regular Automotive Mode to get you in the vicinity. Once parked somewhere close, switch it to Pedestrian Mode and close in as close as you can. Next, go back to the Map/Where to? screen and touch the battery meter in the top left corner. This will bring you to the real-time sattelite screen. Find the co-ordinates in the top center and start moving until both co-ordinates coincide with the caches numbers. It really helps to have an idea of your N/S/E/W directions so you have an idea which way to move , but just watch the co-ordinates change as you move along and you should get as close as with a handheld unit. Also, watch the bottom right on the screen and you can see how accurate the unit is tracking. We started with the same GPSr and did OK for the first 30 or so!

[/quote

Great!!! Will give it a try in a few day! Thanks a million for all the comments!! Just wondering...now that I am almost done reading "Geocaching for Dummys", anyone connected the 255W to a laptop with caching/mapping software? Now this sounds like fun!!

Terry

Any body using a Garmin Univ 255W for Geocaching? I can't seem to get it to get me within 100 foot of the cache. When I start getting close the screen changes and says "Arriving at Destination". HELP!

Thanks,

Terry

12-20-09 "found it"

Thanks for the suggestions, it worked out find, lots faster to program them my Garmin V

After I installed the cache co-ordinance and got close to the cache, I found that by going back to the main screen - WHERE TO / MAP VIEW, down at the bottom there are two options, click on TOOLS then click on WHERE AM I, then sink the GPS co-ordinates with the cache's and you will be within a few feet of the cache.

Terry

Regarding Post #3, yes, you can push and hold in the upper left for coordinates, but it is the signal meter in the upper left, not the battery meter. If you push and hold the battery meter in the upper right you will get into diagnostic screens. The problem with doing this is that after you get out of the diagnostics, it will take several minutes to again acquire a position fix.

Better, is to touch the vehicle icon when on the map page. This will bring up the "Where Am I" screen with the position coordinates. The coordinates move as you do.

Other suggestions:

The circle "vehicle" icon is nice. I do not remember the source but I have the file.

When you prepare the cache POIs, put them on a SD card. POI Loader lets you do that. That way you can leave your Nuvi in your car and just update the card with your computer. And if you do not want the cache alarms as you drive, just remove the card.

I create WAV files with words such as: "A geocache is nearby". You can have it announce each type of cache with a different WAV.

Edited by EScout