Why can I buy an OS map for my iPhone but not Oregon?

britops

I want a local OS 1:25k map to use with my Oregon but non on Garmin's site cover it.

However for £19.99 I can get any OS map and use it on my iPhone.

Why is that????? My Oregon is an expensive paperweight at the moment.

And how can I plan on my computer if I can't copy my Garmin SD maps onto it. Where as I can with the iPhone?

Edited by britops

I think you misunderstood my questions. Do you need the entire country or just a region? Do you plan to be hiking, cycling, driving, etc?

I'm guessing that you're right -- you won't find the exact 1:25K Ordnance Survey map already made for the Garmin. I'm just fishing for info here so maybe someone can point you to whatever the next best/closest optopn would be.

Edited by lee_rimar

You can put your own maps on the Oregon. I have a link on my website that will take you to Garmin's tutorial and a few other options.

you can use ANYTHING. scan a paper map, use google earth, and topofusion has a ton of data sources, though not specifically your OS maps.

oh, and with some of the methods, it doesn't cost you ANYTHING

the iphone can't do that

Edited by mtbikernate

Nate: Good point about being able to scan & make your own maps for the Garmin. Since the OP already has the paper maps he wants, he's part way there. Now all he needs is a scanner and time to do it.

But about your "iPhone can't do that" remark -- well, there are a couple things wrong with that...

A- He doesn't HAVE to do that for the iPhone, because he already has or can buy the maps he wants on his iPhone. Thats was clear from the original post. Funny thing about the iPhones "closed" marketplace is that there are more maps from different sources available for it than for just about any other GPS. And...

B- iPhone users absolutely CAN make their own maps if they want. Several iPhone apps let you build maps from any imagery you already have. Here's one of the cheapest and simplest ones: MapMaker. There are others, but that's the first one my search turned up because of the obvious name.

Edited by lee_rimar