Lowrance iFinder H2O Mapping GPS for sale

BioProfessor

A friend of mine came over for a visit from the Netherlands. He wanted to find his ancestor's land grant farm. He bought this GPS unit to find it. This GPS allows you to take Latitude and Longitude coordinates from either a map or Google Earth and input them into the unit. It will then guide you to the location. This is different from many of the handheld units that only allow you to return to a place you have already visited.

Unit is like new as it was used for only a few days. Manual included.

$125 plus shipping and it's yours.

Daryl

This GPS allows you to take Latitude and Longitude coordinates from either a map or Google Earth and input them into the unit. It will then guide you to the location. This is different from many of the handheld units that only allow you to return to a place you have already visited.

Daryl

HUH?? I have owned many different GPS units and all of them had the ability to put the coordinates into them and then guide you to that location. This is what we do when we load the coordinates from geocaches into them then find their location. I can even do that in mt garmin car unit as well.

... different from many of the handheld units ...

Must be some confusion of language. This is one of Lowrance's oldest model GPS that's still sold. I owned one about 5, maybe 6 years ago and it was good for the time. It's widely available new online for around $130. http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&...p;q=ifinder+h20

What's special about this used one?

Edited by lee_rimar

... different from many of the handheld units ...

Must be some confusion of language. This is one of Lowrance's oldest model GPS that's still sold/ A pretty good GPS, really. I owned one about 5, maybe 6 years ago... but it's nothing special. It's widely available new online for around $130. http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&...p;q=ifinder+h20

What's special about this used one?

Nothing special except it has only been used for 2 days. The prices may have fallen in the past few months. I don't know. I could not find one for under $150 when this one was purchased. All the places advertising a lower prices would not have them in stock and emails said they did not know if or when they would be available. If they are out there for $130 new, then I guess I'll have to lower the price.

I'm not into geocaching, I am into metal detecting and bought mine several years ago to get to places from Google Earth. When I bought mine, not many of them took coordinates. You had to go to a place and set a waypoint and it would take you back. I thought this was a feature that would be important to people here.

That's all I got.

Daryl

This is what I usually find for the low priced ones:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP6350...m_source=google

Lowrance iFinder® H20 Handheld GPS

Product Rating 0 stars (0 Ratings)

Write a Review - submit a review for a chance to win $1,000

10% Off Red Tag Sale! Price shown reflects 10% discount.

Currently Out of Stock

Our Price: $137.10

Free Shipping: $0.00

Sales Tax: $0.00

Your Final Price: $137.10

Daryl

Edited by BioProfessor

However "slightly" used it may be, you're not offering much of a garage sale bargain. New ones in a sealed package from reputable vendors can be had for within $20 of what you're asking. Several used ones have gone for less than $80 (including shipping) on eBay in the past month. Lowest price was $71 delivered.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/ifinder+h2o

Set your prices and expectations realistically and you'll have a quicker sale here.

Edited by lee_rimar

I hear you but it's not mine. I'll check with my friend in Amsterdam and see what he will take. As far as buying electronics, CW relics, coins, or diamonds from Ebay, I never do that and many people won't as well. Too much fraud. And there is no way to tell who you are really dealing with most times. So I would expect their prices to reflect the huge chance you are taking. Forums like this one are much more transparent and safer.

Daryl

... buying from ebay ... I never do that ... no way to tell who you are really dealing with ...
This from a tadpole who joined the forum yesterday, with absolutely NO information in your user profile, and your only posts are trying to sell a GPS for a friend in a foreign country, for about 50% over what they typically go for used.

You are too funny.

Edited by lee_rimar

Yep. Friend is from Amsterdam. I spend the summers there. I spend the winters on Hilton Head Island. Joined this forum to try and find an audience for the GPS. I didn't know what to put in my profile. I thought my email address was there. It's not a free one. It's my work email. I thought that would be good. What do you want to know? I'm just a retired university professor trying to help a friend.

D. Daryl Adams, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus

Minnesota State University, Mankato

d.adams@mnsu.edu

Guess I didn't think I would get beat up on a forum. Guess I was wrong.

I have looked around and I can't find what I would consider an "open box" unit for $80. I must not be looking at the right places. Ebay excluded.

Oh well. I tried.

I'm not trying to beat you up, I'm just saying -- from my experience as a cheapskate and haggler - that you're asking way too much for a used GPS. Your asking price isn't even much of a discount from a brand new one.

As for dismissing eBay -- whether or not you would buy there, a lot of people do. Checking there to see what that model has sold for recently will give you a fair idea of what you can expect to get for yours.

From Ebay:

Lowrance iFINDER H2O Handheld GPS Marine Receiver.

Works and is in good condition. Unit only nothing else.

Sold For: US $100.00

So I know the one I have is better than this but if I have to lower the price. Then that's what I need to do.

So the price is the same as this one from Ebay with nothing with it.

PRICE NOW - $100 + shipping

As far as buying from Ebay, I buy a great deal from Ebay. I just don't buy from the areas that even Ebay warns you to beware. The latest community discussion concluded that in the small, portable electronics - about 1/3 were legit, about 1/3 were not as described, and about 1/3 were stolen. In the area of CW artifacts up to 75% were fake. In coins and diamonds, the problem is so rampant that they are considering no longer listing these items. So while I buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Ebay, I just don't buy from these areas.

And while I am selling it for a friend from Amsterdam, the unit is on my dining room table on Hilton Head Island, SC.

Daryl

D., you're missing the point. The things that appeal to coin collectors are not the same for geocachers.

Look at the GPS from a geocacher's point of view: It's been on the market for around 5 years. It has a 12-channel receiver, a greyscale screen, very limited software availability, no way to directly connect it to a computer -- unless you have an optional RS-232 cable (no USB available). A real negative to geocachers is it has no way to directly download "pocket queries," or display cache info other than the coordinates and a brief comment. In simpler terms, it's a dated unit lacking the features that matter to geocachers.

Then look at it from a bargain hunter's point of view. If you're trying to sell a used item, you shouldn't set your price expectation based on the highest priced ones you find, or even the middle. Look at the low end prices and aim for that range or just slightly higher.

Here's one brand new in sealed package for $129.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=140366956784. To address your trust worries, that's from a top rated eBay seller with a 100% favorable rating on over 15000 transactions.

That's a new one. But five other auctions for used ones closed in the past month for $80 or less (including shipping):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290379053060

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220505998796

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120497764324

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170413686345

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300374286816

To summarize:

- It's outdated, but not a collector's item.

- It lacks features that matter to geocachers.

- New ones are available for $5 over your original asking price

- Used ones have sold recently for $20 less than your current asking price.

I'm really trying to help here, but you think I'm trying to beat you up. Funny world, isn't it?

Not sure what coin collecting has to do with the conversation. Guess I'm just out of the loop. My point was that Ebay is NOT a site where each category has the same level of honesty. A trusted seller with 1000's of feedback and still at 100% positive would be fine. Problem is, Ebay does not monitor the sellers who have multiple accounts and give themselves feedback on items they sell to themselves. Some of the coins on Ebay are slabbed and graded as MS-72. MS-70 is as high as the scale goes. So many of the coin listings on Ebay are not honest. I stay away. Same with CW artifacts. It's the category, not the seller. Just not good places to buy.

Oh well, I guess I'll use it for a paperweight since it is so out of date and not worth half the price paid at a dealer's web site.

Thanks for looking. Have fun finding the caches. I'll think I'll stick with finding gold and silver.

Daryl

Edited by BioProfessor

The GPS you have isn't a bad one, it's just not well suited to geocacaching. Its strong suit is boating/fishing, with Navionics charts available. It's REALLY waterproof and rugged (more than needed for IPX7 rating) -- believe me, mine got tested on that score! You might have better luck in a boater's forum or on your local Craigslist or similar forum.

Even if you get $80-$90 for it, that's better than having it sit around as a paperweight.

---

PS: I mentioned coins since it's an obvious interest of yours, and because you mentioned a variety of items and eBay categories that had naught to do with GPSRs. Off-topic, whatever happened with that 1819 silver coin and NCS? I never did read the end of the story.

Edited by lee_rimar

When it comes to most electronics devices, older does not mean better, usally it means it was more expensive (new) with less features then the current models. Also buying used means no warrenty. I have bought several GPS's over the years that sold for several hundreds new but when I sold them only got pennies on the dollar. Used electronics devices are lucky to sell for 25% to 50% of new cost and this is for "like new" in box.