Give as good as you get

waglerman

I dont want to sound fussy. :blink: .. but ive placed a couple of caches around my local area ..to find that items are not getting REPLACED :D when cachers have removed what they want ... i have two young children that this year started caching .. its a bit sad when they take some of there old things to trade and half the time theres not much or somtimes nothing to swap with . :o .. i placed a cache with 6 things in it , in less than two months all that was in there is a shot gun shell .. GIVING AS GOOD AS YOU GET .. is one of the first rules of caching .. if people dont start putting things back in ..we might as well only do micro's .. and save time and money buying boxes and goodies . :laughing: . COME ON lets put the fun back into caching for the kids . :blink: ..they are after all part of the future of caching.. if theres no young blood ..over time it might die ..like the batteries in our gps....!!! :huh:

I agree... personally when im out caching without the horde (6 kids) i very rarely take anything but almost always leave something. I try to leave things that the kids will think are cool. They dont cost much but the kids love stuff that they find. My son who just turned 5, on his first find he got a Donald Duck pez dispenser, it wasnt new but still in good condition, He plays with it often, and it always makes him bring up geocaching. Trade even, or trade up, or just drop trinkets for others to find if you dont want anything, it will keep the excitement for a lot of people. The smiles on my kids face when we find a cache with all kinds of little things makes it all the more fun for me. :laughing:

I dont want to sound fussy. :blink: .. but ive placed a couple of caches around my local area ..to find that items are not getting REPLACED :D when cachers have removed what they want ... i have two young children that this year started caching .. its a bit sad when they take some of there old things to trade and half the time theres not much or somtimes nothing to swap with . :o .. i placed a cache with 6 things in it , in less than two months all that was in there is a shot gun shell .. GIVING AS GOOD AS YOU GET .. is one of the first rules of caching .. if people dont start putting things back in ..we might as well only do micro's .. and save time and money buying boxes and goodies . :laughing: . COME ON lets put the fun back into caching for the kids . :blink: ..they are after all part of the future of caching.. if theres no young blood ..over time it might die ..like the batteries in our gps....!!! :huh:

I agree with proper trading - either up or even, but remember geocaching is not just about the swag. My kids know not to expect too much when they open a cache, they are up and out the door for the hiking and the fun of the search. And we always have a good time, even when we don't find the cache.

I agree with proper trading - either up or even, but remember geocaching is not just about the swag. My kids know not to expect too much when they open a cache, they are up and out the door for the hiking and the fun of the search. And we always have a good time, even when we don't find the cache.

I agree with BlueDeuce that it isnt just about the swag. Spending time outdoors, enjoying the land around us (Urban or countryside), the hunt and the find (or DNF as it may be) is more important but my kids still love to find a McToy or something from the Dollar store and know that they need to put something in that is worth more or the same...sometimes they don't see anything they want so we just put something in. I think it is important to teach our kids the values that some along with geocaching...fair play (even when not everyone plays fair)...CITO...sense of community..environmental awareness...etc..

We all need to remember that whether we like it or not we are an example for those that come after us...whether its geocaching...our work....our family or our community.

...well i guess thats enough rambling for tonight...maybe il try to go get a night cache... and drop some toys and dollar store swag :D

I almost never take any swag, but I do try to leave an item in most caches or even a few items if the cache is sparse.

Common folks... I get not wanting to trade for swag... but it's nice to leave the cache in a condition that would make a child happy. It's not expensive and it makes the world a better place. :laughing:

Common folks... I get not wanting to trade for swag... but it's nice to leave the cache in a condition that would make a child happy. It's not expensive and it makes the world a better place. :laughing:

Absolutely. I leave far more trade than I take, and what I leave is for the kids.

It's just like Santa, who by the way I adamantly believe in, but we don't lay down the expectation that he will give us everything we ask for.