Garmin Oregon 450 and 450t

jotne

You infer a lot from a page that doesn't state your conclusion ("sunlight readable display"). The links on the page are all broken (presumably removed) and according to that article, the ETA is in Spring, not Christmas.

I think the 3 axis is a given, as well as high speed USB support. The other features... I'm inclined to think it is just a 550 without the camera. Otherwise Garmin will just be digging themselves into a new hole - 450 with whatever fancy feature, or 550 with camera.

As the owner of a fairly new 300, I'm only bummed because I think this means Garmin will pay less attention to 300/400 series features and bug fixes.

This is how it has been on Garmin the latest years.

They are releasing to many GPS and the user who have bought the "latest" version, will be upset that one month later, there is a new version.

Look at the Nüvi series. I have given up counting the version when Garmin passed 40 versions.

Here is a PDF that do list the new Oregon GPS.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/webdav/site/e...Octubre09_4.pdf

As you see this page on Garmins home page :laughing:

Edited by jotne
As you see this page on Garmins home page :laughing:

Yes, that's about an official a leak as it gets. Sadly, other than the part number, all we have is (I assume) "coming soon" :blink: I guess it is more fun to speculate anyway. At least on the camera websites, it's all fun and speculation before the announcement, and trashing the product following that :blink:

Seems to be like Orgeon 550 without camera

More info

http://www.all-gps.de/garmin-outdoor-wande...egon-serie.html

My guess is that US 450t will be preloaded with US Topo

Garmin ® Oregon 450 GPS 399,00 €

With a 3-axis rotating compass and barometric altimeter, the Garmin ® Oregon 450 GPS device and 850 MB memory card with digital elevation model-based, wireless communication between the units, simple touch screen interface, 3 "sunlight contains color display and premium HotFix ™ receiver. Water resistant.

• 3-axis rotating compass and barometric altimeter

• 850 MB of memory

• Base map with digital elevation model

• Wireless-sharing between the units

• Easy touch-screen interface

• 3 "sunlight-color display

• Premium HotFix ™ Receiver

• Waterproof

Garmin ® Oregon 450t GPS 449,00 €

The Garmin ® Oregon 450t handheld GPS unit is reloaded with Topo! Leisure 100K Europe, the trip and waypoint management, shoreline detail, motorways, roads, hiking and snowmobile trails offer. Other features include a 850 MB memory card with digital elevation model-based, wireless information exchange between units, navigation, simple touch screen interface, 3 "sunlight display, premium HotFix ™ receiver and a compass / altimeter. Waterproof. Uses two AA batteries (not supplied).

• Pre-loaded U. S. Topo! 100K, with travel and waypoint management, shoreline detail, motorways, roads, hiking and snowmobile trails

• 850 MB of memory

• Base map with digital elevation model

• wireless exchange of information between the units menu

• Easy touch-screen interface

• 3 "sunlight-color display

• Premium HotFix ™ Receiver

• Compass / Altimeter

• Waterproof

Edited by jotne

550 has 3.72 GB the 450 only 830MB like the 300. It probably also has the 2000 cache limitation (550 has 5000).

With that Pricing ? Guess 399 is the list price while the 550 has a street price.

Maybe a better screen ? Other newer GPS receiver than the current STM Cartesio (ST2062)? Other CPU ? We'll see

Edited by gzxto

Now it's official

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2009/12/garmin-...anchId=newsroom

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2009/12/...ustom-maps.html

Responsive to the touch of a finger, yet resistant to the rigors of nature, Oregon 450t and Oregon 450 simplify navigation through a glove-friendly touchscreen interface. This bright 3” color display is easier than ever to read and use in all conditions. Other key upgrades include user-selectable dashboards, enhanced track navigation, high-speed USB for faster map transfers with your computer, photo navigation and the 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass, which shows your heading even when you’re standing still, without the need to hold it level. The new dashboards give users the ability to customize the appearance of various pages on your Oregon, including the geocaching, compass, stopwatch and elevation functions. For hikers, cyclists and trail runners, the enhanced track navigation will prove especially useful. When navigating to a destination on an active track, users will see the changes in elevation ahead of them as well as where they’ve been. Also, waypoints and other key locations along the active route – such as start, end and high and low elevation points – now appear on the map and active route pages. The new Oregon units also include a barometric altimeter, paperless geocaching and wireless exchange of tracks, waypoints, routes and geocaches with compatible Oregon, Dakota, Colorado® and Foretrex® devices.

Edited by jotne

Garmins own homepage has been updated

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63349

450t

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63350

NB sepc list is not the same on Garmin homepage and blogg

waypoints

homepage 1000

blogg 2000

routes

homepage 50

blogg 200

Why is there an russian version of the 450?? Basemap?

450T version

Oregon 450t with topographic maps for the United States

Oregon 450t with Recreational Map of Europe

Oregon 450t, Topo Canada

Oregon 450t, Topo Australia

Oregon 450t, Taiwan

None of this addresses the biggest problem with the Oregon series. Does it get a WAAS satellite (especially under cover) as well as the arrow stick problem which is WAAS related.

It will be interesting to see if the screen is that much better than the previous Oregon's. I converted my Oregon to a paper weight and upgraded to the Colorado 300 which works so much better.

So the 450 is exactly the same without the camera.... and its $100 cheaper... its a no brainer which one is a better deal. The 450.

Now suddenly the 550 seems overpriced with just a mere 3Megapixel camera with no optical zoom capability... Not sure its worth the extra $100.

Another brilliant move by Garmin.

Oregon 450 seems to be built on same hardware as Garmin Approach G5 GPS

The middle digits in the part number in Garmins number is the hardware code

Garmin Approach G5 GPS https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=31070

Part Number: 010-00697-30

Hardware 697

Oregon 450

010-00697-40

Hardware 697

Oregon 450t

010-00697-41

Hardware 697

Also same hardware as used in Oregon 300/400

So I am not sure if screen is better, but do hope so.

Edited by jotne
So the 450 is exactly the same without the camera.... and its $100 cheaper... its a no brainer which one is a better deal. The 450.

Now suddenly the 550 seems overpriced with just a mere 3Megapixel camera with no optical zoom capability... Not sure its worth the extra $100.

I think it is a smart move on Garmin's marketing to release the 550 first, milk it for all it's worth, then release the 450 later. As for whether the camera is worth the extra $100 (not!) the market will decide and Garmin or the retailers can adjust the price accordingly.

This new 450 has a list price equal to the 300 !!!

I fail to understand why Garmin sells them with preloaded maps !!! Its built in obsolescence even if Topo maps don't change often ! It add to the confusion a too many apparently different models !

Same for the 550 with a lame 3.2mega pixel camera. Quality is not the number of pixels but the optic and it's crap on such device. Would be better to have a communication standard to exchange GPS info with a real camera via Bluetooth or a real camera with a GPS chip.

Too many models anyway. I keep my 60CX till it settles or will look for other mfgds !

With the built-in US maps you can also load the entire country which you can't do because of segment limitations on the DVD-based maps.

Right, in the past people without computers had to purchase the pre programmed datacards, and the coverage was poor without spending a lot for a bunch of cards you had to keep track of not losing.

With the built-in US maps you can also load the entire country which you can't do because of segment limitations on the DVD-based maps.

Not a problem anymore with the new NT maps !

This kind of GPS are bought by people who normally are a bit above the average in term of computer litteracy and have a computer. Without a PC, you loose a lot. ANy geocachers without a PC ?

Less inventory also means savings.

Easier to bundled the maps on DVD or SD memory with the GPS than GPS with preloaded EPROMS. Can you update theses built in maps ?

The bundle can be done anywhere, anytime up to the final seller. In fact they do it too !

Edited by Suscrofa

Can someone point me to a resource that explains what NT maps are?

Anyway, I think the # of Oregon products is annoying but not that bad. If I'm to buy a car navigator today, however, I think I'd be paralyzed by indecision. Thank goodness I bought my 660 a few years ago.

This kind of GPS are bought by people who normally are a bit above the average in term of computer litteracy and have a computer. Without a PC, you loose a lot. ANy geocachers without a PC ?

Less inventory also means savings.

Easier to bundled the maps on DVD or SD memory with the GPS than GPS with preloaded EPROMS. Can you update theses built in maps ?

The bundle can be done anywhere, anytime up to the final seller. In fact they do it too !

The 400t comes preloaded with Topo US 100k. Unless something has changed very recently the DVD version of Topo US 100k is identical to the built-in maps except that it has many more segments and the entire US won't fit on the Oregon. NT maps, AFAIK, only apply to City Nav products.

Believe me I'm not advocating buying the built in maps, although you also get more built in memory with these units. For most people DVD makes more sense for the reasons you mention above.

I was wondering if the Oregon 450 has the same sensor as the Vista HCx. I have the Vista HCx and was wondering if moving to the Oregon 450 would technically be an upgrade or now.

I am wondering if in the net where any place were I could see something about microprocessors or gps-receiver, these uses.

It's easy to found anything about Apple iPhone or Nokia.

This is more difficult,

My question is simple i wanna good gps, now prices are in my opinion higher than couple of months ago. May because I use euros.

Oregon 450 seems good but they sell Colorado 300 a lot cheaper here, 60 $ or so.

Is Oregon 450 worth of this?

And isn't true that Colorado family ( if there was it) is coming discontinuing quite soon.

Just ordered an Oregon 450 to replace my Magellan eXplorist (original) and my Triton 500. I think I am done with Magellan products. The Triton was a nightmare to use for geocaching and every firmware update seemed to take away some functionality. Not to mention that the battery life was under 4 hours for it, no backlight no compass, just informational screen.

Just ordered an Oregon 450 to replace my Magellan eXplorist (original) and my Triton 500. I think I am done with Magellan products. The Triton was a nightmare to use for geocaching and every firmware update seemed to take away some functionality. Not to mention that the battery life was under 4 hours for it, no backlight no compass, just informational screen.

Just ordered a four-fiddy myself, along with 4GB microSD and a case to keep it purty looking.

I remember what a massive improvement my GPSMap 60c was over my ETrex Vista and hope the 450 proves to be as much a quantum leap. While the 60c isn't too bad, it seems to be less accurate than the 60Csx, the big change I'm looking at is paperless caching, or near-paperless. Sometimes I'll still print off a page of the park or greater area I'll be caching in, assembled from screen prints in Photoshop and run off on the laser printer. Sometimes there is no substitute for a piece of paper.

Some time next week the learning curve will begin and judging from some of the hiccoughs owners have gone through I'll need to practice patience.

I'm certainly looking forward to reducing my DNF count, by having the hints and a few log entries with me. :D

Sometimes I'll still print off a page of the park or greater area I'll be caching in, assembled from screen prints in Photoshop and run off on the laser printer. Sometimes there is no substitute for a piece of paper.

You might want to check out the Garmin custom maps. It will allow you to take the area with you including a Google earth overlay. It will have a bit of a learning curve but will likely be worth it. View here

Garmin Custom Maps

Also anyone considering a 450 I picked up a Zagg screen protector I would recommend it as an essential requirement to keep the pretty screen pretty

You might want to check out the Garmin custom maps. It will allow you to take the area with you including a Google earth overlay. It will have a bit of a learning curve but will likely be worth it. View here

Garmin Custom Maps

Also anyone considering a 450 I picked up a Zagg screen protector I would recommend it as an essential requirement to keep the pretty screen pretty

I received my 450 last week, the wireless geocaching feature is great. I really like this unit, easy to use, good sized display and seems to be very accurate.

So far, after one attempt with custom maps, I was unsuccessful. Went throught the process and loaded it to the receiver, the Oregon comes up with an error saying the custom map image file is too big. I need to try to save the jpg to a lower res then create the KMZ file again.

I tried a generic screen protector for a smart phone. It was too reflective, couldn't read the display in sunlight with it on. I need to look for some with an anti-reflective coating. How is that Zagg one, and where can I get one? Thanks.

Edited by IdahoRenegade

I think it is a smart move on Garmin's marketing to release the 550 first, milk it for all it's worth, then release the 450 later. As for whether the camera is worth the extra $100 (not!) the market will decide and Garmin or the retailers can adjust the price accordingly.

I happen to think the 550s camera is good enough - I have a Canon DSLR as well but most of the time I just want to mark a geocache or waypoint with a quick snap, and the 550s camera is perfect for that.

And for the extra $100 you pay, you get rechargeable NiMh batteries and a charger so you're not only paying for the camera.

I've been very happy with my 550 so far.