puzzle caches

Are there set guidelines on how far away from given co-ords a cache is actually hidden when it comes to the likes of puzzle caches.

I have completed many puzzle caches and most have been within a reasonable distance of the published co-ords - obviously these are not too near as to make it obvious where the cache might be thus negating the need for the puzzle it self.

The reason I ask is that I was in the middle of completing the puzzle aspect of a cache listing to discover that the cache itself is hidden some 10 miles from the publshed co-ords.

The reason for choosing the puzzle was that it was the nearest to a place that I am visiting and thought I would do a couple of caches while there, thus choosing the nearest ones to that location - as it transpired that it is as far away as it is (between 8 and 12 miles) I will probably not be able to do it. However it made me think about whether it was sensible having it so far away from the published co-ords or whether it complied with guidelines if there were any as such.

The guidelines say that a Mystery cache page coordinates should be within 1 to 2 miles of the actual cache location. This is (as already said) to keep the 'mileage' of trackables reasonably accurate and so that you know the actual cache is not too far away.

It is one of the things we check when reviewing a cache and if they are too far away will ask the cache owner to change them to bring them inline with the guideline.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

The guidelines say that a Mystery cache page coordinates should be within 1 to 2 miles of the actual cache location. This is (as already said) to keep the 'mileage' of trackables reasonably accurate and so that you know the actual cache is not too far away.

It is one of the things we check when reviewing a cache and if they are too far away will ask the cache owner to change them to bring them inline with the guideline.

Chris

Graculus

OK can GC11V8R be reviewed - this is the one as described and as I am taking my son for an interview at this Uni - this is shown as the nearest - when in fact when worked out it certainly isn't

thanks

OK can GC11V8R be reviewed

It's a bit less than 10 miles from the page coordinates. Agreed it doesn't meet the guideline. Errors do occur when reviewing - we are not perfect (we're pretty close but not quite there yet :laughing:). This was published at a very busy time when there was only 1 reviewer (who didn't in fact publish this one) so it slipped through.

Chris

Graculus

More recently the guidelines have been approx up to 2 miles from the actual hide. (I think!)

However... Older caches may have 'Grandfathered' status.

The guideline was put in place to try to keep TB's mileages close to their actual traveling distance. (I think!)

You're quite right in pointing out your own bold, however I know for a fact that the cache in mention was published well over 18 months after the restriction was in place. The reason I know is that I have a cache that was placed 18 months before the one in mention and I had to change my listed co-ords to fall in with the current guidelines.

Very occasionally, the nature of a puzzle is such that it makes sense to have the fake coordinates more than a couple of miles from the final cache. If the cache placer can convince the reviewer that there is a good reason, the reviewer may grant an exception. I make about one such exception per year, I guess.

In this case, it appears that an exception was granted, by Erik, who was reviewing for the UK in a stop-gap role while a little local difficulty was being sorted out. Whether or not a current UK reviewer would grant the exception, I'm not sure.

It might be nice if the cache owner were either to provide an automated solution checker, or to put something like "note: the final coordinates are further then the usual 1-2 miles from the start point, by arrangement with Groundspeak" in the text.

It might be nice if the cache owner were either to provide an automated solution checker, or to put something like "note: the final coordinates are further then the usual 1-2 miles from the start point, by arrangement with Groundspeak" in the text.

There are a couple like this near us. They clearly state that the cache is within n miles of the coords. Both use Geochecker. The excellent puzzles would be ruined if the co-ords had to be within two miles.

Long live flexibility and common sense. :D

Email me the co-ords and I'll log it for you, rather than cause upset.... LOL. :D:D:D I have a couple of caches that fall into this area for good reason and they have been given special approval. It happens sometimes, As with any cache if you don't like it ..... don't do it. MaxKim. :D

Email me the co-ords and I'll log it for you, rather than cause upset.... LOL. :D:D:D I have a couple of caches that fall into this area for good reason and they have been given special approval. It happens sometimes, As with any cache if you don't like it ..... don't do it. MaxKim. :D

I was going to jump in and say there are some caches where, were the 1-2 mile GUIDELINE applied rigidly, it'd spoil the puzzle.

A cacher was asking for recommendations of caches near the first mega. I suggested one of Maxkim's that didn't come up in their search because the starting coordinates were quite a lot further away. They had already found the more twin more local to me. Not giving TOO much away there am I? :D

But in general terms, the final coordinates shouldn't be more than a short walk away. Sometimes it helps if you put the final coords in properly too. one puzzle I did not too long ago, I transposed east & west, and only twigged after much confusion when I noticed it was saying 300 miles rather than 300 yards. :D

Very occasionally, the nature of a puzzle is such that it makes sense to have the fake coordinates more than a couple of miles from the final cache. If the cache placer can convince the reviewer that there is a good reason, the reviewer may grant an exception. I make about one such exception per year, I guess.

In this case, it appears that an exception was granted, by Erik, who was reviewing for the UK in a stop-gap role while a little local difficulty was being sorted out. Whether or not a current UK reviewer would grant the exception, I'm not sure.

agreed! We have one that would be ruined if the guideline was followed rigidly! However, we say (I think) it is within 7 miles of the top coords...