Feature Request: Universally linked Gallery Photo

Dr.MORO

Domo!!!

And, Hi Groundspeak!

I am a tadpole, though I AM totally HOOKED!

Geocaching is so fun!!!

Now, while learning many new things and features about what I can and cannot do, I already have some feature request. This one of them.

Though not used by all cachers, the feature I like very much is the ability the upload photos I've taken along my hunt, and add much much more to my logs than just simple words. The problem is, I would like to use the same photo in some of the accompanying logs such as TBs and Geocoins, as you can already see in my gallery. In these cases, I need to upload the same photo as many times I want to re-use it, resulting in duplicates of every photo you reuse. This will just hog the precious disk storage space of your server, which I still think is a big waste in anyways. My request would be that to make it so you can pick and use any photos in your own uploaded gallery, and make it selectable with a pulldown menu when you write or edit a log. The newly created log's actual HTML will just have link to display the photo in page, but there will be no more duplicates within the gallery and on the server. It would be great to be able to change the caption of the photo per log it's used in, but that's another thing, I guess.

Thanks for making this happen!

- Dr.MORO

Edited by Dr.MORO

Domo!!!

And, Hi Groundspeak!

Geocaching is so fun!!!

Now, while learning many new things and features about what I can and cannot do, I already have some feature request. This one of them.

Though not used by all cachers, the feature I like very much is the ability the upload photos I've taken along my hunt, and add much much more to my logs than just simple words. The problem is, I would like to use the same photo in some of the accompanying logs such as TBs and Geocoins, as you can already see in my gallery. In these cases, I need to upload the same photo as many times I want to re-use it, resulting in duplicates of every photo you reuse. This will just hog the precious disk storage space of your server, which I still think is a big waste in anyways. My request would be that to make it so you can pick and use any photos in your own uploaded gallery, and make it selectable with a pulldown menu when you write or edit a log. The newly created log's actual HTML will just have link to display the photo in page, but there will be no more duplicates within the gallery and on the server. It would be great to be able to change the caption of the photo per log it's used in, but that's another thing, I guess.

- Dr.MORO

Sounds like a cool idea, as well as some other features regarding uploaded photos...I thing the line is that GS is not a photo hosting site, so they do not want to work too much on that aspect. Other things in the dept. that I'd like to see are...

ability to vies a slideshow of all the photos related to a Cache/Traveler/user, rither than having to visit every individual log to see the larger image...especially with Events where you might have dozens or even more players uploading pics.

Clicking on a picture in a log to see the larger one should behave the same in Caches and Travelers. right now, the images for travelers send you off to a dedicated page for that image, and the ones for Caches open in a sort of slideshow.

That's a little frustrating, and working on the photo upload aspect of the website is one of the things I would really like to see. It would be a huge task though, and almost require a complete rewrite of the whole image system.

Domo!!! Appreciate the replies!

Yes, there ARE already a huge amount photos on GC's web site. To begin with, there must be a huge reason why they have all those "Upload Image..."-related buttons everywhere. If they do not think of them as a "photo hosting site", I think they are NOT thinking in the correct direction. Maybe they should consider tying-up with something like flckr, or Google Image as they already do with Google Maps and Earth. A slideshow feature is a great idea. I wonder how many photos do they get uploaded every day? And, also I wonder how many photos are viewed (clicked) every day? Must be a lot!

Thanks,

- Dr.MORO

Edited by Dr.MORO

A ton, I'm sure.

I've love to see geocaching.com be more embracing of the amateur photographers here. I think increasing the size of the images should be a high priority as well.

Maybe they could work out a deal with flicker or one of the dozen similar sites (I use expono and shutterfly). They provide the hosting and geocaching lets them do some branding of the pages that display the images ("Image hosting provided by imagehostingplace.com!"). Almost all of these places offer limited free hosting as a loss-leader already, so I'm sure it could be made to fit their business plan.

Domo!!!

And, Hi Groundspeak!

Geocaching is so fun!!!

- Dr.MORO

But wouldn't we loose something, too? Now I can browse a geocacher's gallery, and if I see an interesting TB or location photo, I can click on the thumbnail and it will take me to that cache log or TB log where it was used. If one photo was used for both a TB log and a cache log, clicking on the thumbnail would not work as a link, would it? Profile galleries have tipped me off to caches located in beautiful settings. I would hate to lose that ability.

GS is not a photo hosting site...

Strange...

All available evidence seems to indicate otherwise.

They allow the hosting as add ons, but I think their line was thet they didn't wand to concentrate heavily on this. BTW, I'm not argueingagainst changes like these, I'd LOVE to see the whole proto upload and display system revised, I'm just remembering that this was the response they had before when the issues were requested. I think a few changes to the photo system here would make the whole site more fun to use and explore.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

A ton, I'm sure.

I've love to see geocaching.com be more embracing of the amateur photographers here. I think increasing the size of the images should be a high priority as well.

Maybe they could work out a deal with flicker or one of the dozen similar sites (I use expono and shutterfly). They provide the hosting and geocaching lets them do some branding of the pages that display the images ("Image hosting provided by imagehostingplace.com!"). Almost all of these places offer limited free hosting as a loss-leader already, so I'm sure it could be made to fit their business plan.

One way you can increase the size it to shrink them yourself to fit within the settings that will allow the upload without the auto resize.

If your original image is under 125k or 600 pixels wide, the largest image will not be resized.

sizing you image to these paramaters before you upload will allow a signifigantly larger image to be uploaded