Bad English ー おかしい英語

Happy Bubbles

Some Japanese cachers use automatic translation programs to translate their text from Japanese to English, and the results are terrible! Sometimes it's so bad it's almost impossible for a native English speaker to understand what they're talking about. It makes it difficult for foreign hunters to understand the cache descriptions, and I recently saw a mis-reading of a machine-translated cache description contribute to the archiving of a cache. I understand Japanese pretty well and occasionally do translation work as part of my job, and I've considered contacting some of these cachers and offering to help them write better English descriptions for their caches. But I don't know any of them personally, and I'm worried that it would be rude of me to contact them out of the blue and criticize their cache pages. What should I do?

多くの日本人キャッシャーが、機械翻訳を使って日本語を英語にします。しかし、機械翻訳プローグラムの英語はいつもすごくおかしいです。時々キャッシュページの英語はネーティブスピーカーが分かれないぐらいおかしいです。私は仕事で時々和英翻訳をします。最近この機械翻訳を使うキャッシャーをメッセージして、キャッシュページの英語を手伝いしようかなあと思っているけど、いきなり知らない人にメッセージをするのが失礼でしょう。どうしたらいいでしょうか?

I have also noticed that some Japanese geocachers put English messages with grammatical errors. However, I found other non-English speaking geocachers such as Germans, Italians, etc. put message only in their native languages without English translation. A sad thing is that even some listings (main explanation of the cache) in European countires did not put any English translation and are allowed to be published....

From this view, Japanese geocachers trying to put English messages (even wrong in grammars) made a good effort for non-Japanese geocachers.

I think that grammatical mistakes should be somehow allowed as far as it can send the meaning to readers.

Mistakes could be one of the factors that make the listing more mysterious.... no?

Well, native English-speakers may find some mistakes in my writing... well i don't mind too.

Anyway, the discussion topic is very interesting to me.

I would like to hear opinions from non-Japanese speakers.

------------------------- Japanese----------------

私も以前からその傾向は気づいていて気にはなっていました。

しかし、ヨーロッパのキャッシュとかみると、全部ドイツ語だったり、イタリア語だったりするんですよね。

キャッシュ自体の説明が英語以外で書かれていて、英語の訳がついていなくて、よく認められたなぁ。と、日本語を使う私としては悲しくなります。

それに比べると、日本のキャッシャーはそれなりにがんばっているのではないかと思いますが、どうでしょうか。

文法の間違いとかは、意味が通ればよいのかなぁと思います。

またヨーロッパの現状をみれば、変な英語でも、それがまたミステリアスに見えるという効果もあるかもしれません・・・?

という私の英語も、ネイティブから見れば文法間違いだらけなんでしょうけどね。。。。

とはいえ、このテーマ、興味があります!!

日本語以外の人からの意見も聞きたいところですね。

Edited by miyoshi1970

I agree in particular cases.

Some of Japanese log doesn't have subject. Translation program automatically add "it" in such case. But sometimes the proper subject is "I".

I don't consider it is rude to offer correct English to such a strange log, especially the English shows opposite meaning.

I also agree that even strange English provide some hint to the geocachers. I recommend not to be so crazy to correct the strange English.

I'm sure that more communication makes English in log better.

私も時々そう思います。

日本語では時々主語をはっきりと書かないので、機械翻訳すると本当はIが主語なのに、主語がitになったりします。

特に、日本語と英語で意味が反対になっている場合は、アドバイスするのは良いことです。

ただ、多少変な英語でも、ログを読む人の助けになければ良いのではないでしょうか。

いずれにせよ、コミュニケーションすることは良いと思います。

日本人オーナー側も、英語が苦手でも、身近に頼る人がいないので、仕方なくWEB翻訳サービスを使っているだと推測します。 :D

キャッシュオーナーで、私のようにアドバイス大歓迎という人は、その意思をあらわすために、以下のような文章の英訳をキャッシュページに掲載しておくのはどうでしょう?

"私は英語が苦手です。

私の英文で意味が通じない箇所を発見した場合は、ぜひ助言してください。"

この文章の英訳があれば、私はすぐにでもコピーして自分のキャッシュページにペーストします。 :D

Looking at it from the other side...

If I was living in Japan, I would need to use a translation site to give me a Japanese translation for a cache description, if I wanted to hide a cache there. If, after publication, I received an email from a Japanese geocacher offering his/her assistance in improving the wording of the poor translation then I would be very pleased to accept that help, I would not consider it to be rude in any way.

But I thank the Japanese cachers who are trying to provide English translations - It's always interesting for me to look at caches in other countries.

MrsB :P

All I can say is that I'm happy that at least they *try* to get some English in there. Otherwise I'd have a hard time feeding my geocaching addiction while in Japan :)

Oh, and a shameless plug for a new Geocaching Japan site I just started ... www.cachekuni.com

Hopefully we can meet on the message boards there too!

--------

こんにちは!このたび、日本のジオキャッシングサイトを新しく立上げました。出来たばかりですが、ジオキャッシンググッズのオンラインショップもあり、また、フォーラムやコミュニティーのページでは日本のジオキャッシングについてのチャットなどができます。日本に住んでいてジオキャッシングに興味のある方は、ぜひwww.cachekuni.comにアクセスください!