Just where do you find your Cache containers?

magpieboy

Heh, he said peanut butter jars... :)

The forum is a deadly minefield to the unfamiliar, aint it? :D

OK. I'll bite. Do tell... :P

Depending on who you ask, a used peanut butter jar is either:

- A perfectly acceptable cache container, both waterproof and able to withstand temperature extremes.

- A container only used by cheapskates, often found with teethmarks (due to inadequate washing) and a soggy mess of a log.

- A trip to the ER waiting to happen due to the .4 to .6% of the population suffering from allergies to the legume.

For every member willing to ardently adhere to any of these, there is a member an opposing belief willing to fight, nay, die for these beliefs on the field of forum battle.

Welcome to the forums. It's like caching, only much, much less so.

The forum is a deadly minefield to the unfamiliar, aint it? :santa:

- A perfectly acceptable cache container, both waterproof and able to withstand temperature extremes.

- A container only used by cheapskates, often found with teethmarks (due to inadequate washing) and a soggy mess of a log.

- A trip to the ER waiting to happen due to the .4 to .6% of the population suffering from allergies to the legume.

For every member willing to ardently adhere to any of these, there is a member an opposing belief willing to fight, nay, die for these beliefs on the field of forum battle.

Ya. ditto! I totally agree! Some people are really severely allergic to peanuts. :D Just to open a peanut product in the same room as some will set them off on a reaction.

Not to mention, some of these caches are in remote places that may take a long time to get back to the car or a road, hospital.......etc. I dont think I would like to be someone that allergic and happen to find a cache peanut jar an hour or more away from help. I know the person could choose not to open the cache but that just ruins the fun :santa: , ya know. Just My Opinion!

Magnet Key holders aren't the greatest I admit. Make sure you put your log in a zip baggie inside. It will work. You may place a cache a certain way expecting that it won't get wet, but you can't always guarantee that finders will place it "exactly" as you did. Therefore a container that will work the way you place it, might not work once GC'rs place it back the way they "thought" you hid it or think you "should" have hid it.

Trust the forum on this one - key holders are terrible containers. The lid slides shut and rips the baggie - wet log.

Michaels has a sale on small tins for 99 cents right now.

Metal tins are terrible. They rust within a few weeks unless you live in Arizona or some other arid place.

I've been wondering about where to get Camo colored tape to cover the non-camo containers. It may be different up here in Canada but in general are you finding it at Wal-Mart or Target, or do hunting /fishing stores like Cabelas carry it?

I just did my first two ammo cans and used Camo tape on them. I searched 3 Walmarts, 2 Targets, a Gander Mountain, and a Home Depot with no luck. I ended up finding the Ammo Cans at a Military supply store and the tape at Dicks Sporting Goods.

Dicks sells a roll for about $5 near the hunting accessories. The rolls are kinda small so each can took slightly over 1 roll to do. I was very happy with the results. I took so much time on them I will be kind of sad if they go missing or get muggled. I have attached pics below of the end result of the cans and a pic of the brand of tape I used.

Keep in mind that tape is meant to peel off and not stick permanently to a gun - or any other object you stick it on. The color fades quickly in the wild too. Stick to painting your cans or do what Riffster does and add moss or dirt.

The forum is a deadly minefield to the unfamiliar, aint it? :santa:

Ya. ditto! I totally agree! Some people are really severely allergic to peanuts. :D Just to open a peanut product in the same room as some will set them off on a reaction.

Not to mention, some of these caches are in remote places that may take a long time to get back to the car or a road, hospital.......etc. I dont think I would like to be someone that allergic and happen to find a cache peanut jar an hour or more away from help. I know the person could choose not to open the cache but that just ruins the fun :santa: , ya know. Just My Opinion!

I'll play...

People that allergic will carry an EPI pen. Peanuts can grow in the wild, ya know.

I know the person could choose not to open the cache but that just ruins the fun

I would think that suffering a possibly fatal allergic reaction, miles from any medical treatment, would ruin the fun. If I were allergic to peanuts, and found a cache that I suspected used to hold peanut products, I would weigh which experience would be less fun:

Not pawing through trinkets.

or

Dying a painful death.

But I'm kinda quirky that way. :):P

Edited by Clan Riffster
I know the person could choose not to open the cache but that just ruins the fun

I would think that suffering a possibly fatal allergic reaction, miles from any medical treatment, would ruin the fun. If I were allergic to peanuts, and found a cache that I suspected used to hold peanut products, I would weigh which experience would be less fun:

Not pawing through trinkets.

or

Dying a painful death.

But I'm kinda quirky that way. :D:P

I kinda meant that the person would make the obvious choice and not open the jar, but they would miss out on the fun. pretty much peanut butter jar = absolutely no access. Ya never know someone could live in an area where almost everyone decided to use a peanut butter jar as a cache container, that would leave them out of caching the area. ya never know!

Not to mention wouldnt that just suck to arrive at a cache, especially if it was a tricky one or took a long time to get to and you find you cant even finish, im just thinking of the other persons point of view. I wouldnt want to be in those shoes.

Although,

I actually have not seen one peanut butter jar cache container yet, i think most people generally avoid them because they smell tasty to wildlife. :)

Edited by lavender5215

Here we go with the peanut talk again. Maybe a mod will shut this down or at least get it back on topic. :P

EDIT: Nevermind. 9Key has the right idea. Too far off topic.

There you go... some folks are getting the idea!

I steal whatever happens to be sitting out on the raffle table at events.

So.. tell us about where the rest of you get your cache containers.

I actually have a cache already set up I just have to place it and publish it. Its going to be a 2 part multi. The containers are a salt shaker and a pepper shaker. The plastic kind you take on picnic with a flip top lid.

:):):)B):):)

I sealed the lids and the bottoms come off(usually for filling)for access to contents

Edited by lavender5215

The best container I have to say would be a pellican case. The one I have I recovered from the bottom of a lake, about 60 feet down. Some poor guy lost his camra gear... it was down there for months, bases on the silt and veggies on it. When I got it to the surface, all nice and bone dry inside, too bad there was no return address or name to give it back too.

Around here, under a lamp post skirt or on a guardrail. Although the nano in the middle of the woods is popular, too...

In all seriousness, I get things from the hospital I work at. Some things, once opened but not used, can't be recycled to another patient, and some things just get thrown out.

Glucose strip bottles make WONDERFUL micro containers. My wife uses Bayer strips which have a cool little bottle with the airtight lid attached to it. The ones we use at the hospital have a screw-top with a built-in dessicant in the lid. So far, I've accumulated a whole pile of the things.

Urine specimen cups that have the seal broken, but haven't been used make good smalls.

Surgifoam bottles also make good smalls. So do packing gauze bottles.

Old sterilized surgical tools like forceps and hemostats make great geocaching tools for those micros you need tweezers to get the log out of, and disposable dental mirrors make great under-things-checkers.

Glucose strip bottles make WONDERFUL micro containers.

Are those the things that look like 35's, only a little smaller in diameter and perhaps a little longer? I've seen quite a few of those out here in Colorado, but only suspected the source.

I've sent a couple to a cacher friend in CO, but I haven't personally hidden any out there. I have two sizes. One is shorter and skinnier than a 35, and the other is longer, but about the same diameter.

I have used numerous small glass jars.......I wrap them with camo tape (Wal Mart) ....so far they are water tight.....don't give in to elements AND I have never found one broken....if one were to break the tape would hold it together so it could be safely disposed of.... :D .......just think where you put them and they work fine..... :(

I'm cheap so I usually do not buy containers. I collect anything that could be a container and wait for an opportunity to use them. I have several empty pill bottles, empty blood glucose monitoring strip containers, nut containers mint containers, coffee containers etc. I found a water jug (Thermos brand) that I washed out and sealed the openings. I'm waiting for an opportunity to place that one. I had to buy camo tape but I found a good size roll at Meijers for $5.

Glucose strip bottles make WONDERFUL micro containers.

Are those the things that look like 35's, only a little smaller in diameter and perhaps a little longer? I've seen quite a few of those out here in Colorado, but only suspected the source.

Some are a bit smaller than film cans, some just about the same. Some brands come in white containers, some come in black. Obviously, any cacher would switch to the black-container brand for easier camo possibilities. :) I got some from a diabetic friend and am trying to paint the white ones, but I'm not sure how well the paint (krylon fusion) will hold up.

I also have two bottles from the diabetic glucose/ketone urine test strips. They are straight sided and have nice tight fitting caps, I haven't done anything with them yet, but they look like they will make acceptable "smalls".