Great tip for custom maps

snomchfun

I've been struggling with geo-referencing my images ( sat images from google earth ) in google earth. I fiddled with stretching and squeezing and could get close but never a good fit. The key is when you open the image overlay box go to the tab Altitude and change "Clamped to ground" to "absolute". You still have to reference the image but it's very easy to make it perfect.

I think I need some tips on Custom Maps also. I have yet understood how to make these work on my Oregon and actually I have not figured out how they can be of any help to me.

I love em....it's nice to have actual satellite maps on the unit.....garmins "how to" 5 steps is a good explanation. ......or goto gpsfix's website

I've been struggling with geo-referencing my images ( sat images from google earth ) in google earth. I fiddled with stretching and squeezing and could get close but never a good fit. The key is when you open the image overlay box go to the tab Altitude and change "Clamped to ground" to "absolute". You still have to reference the image but it's very easy to make it perfect.

Great tip...I will try it out this weekend. I too have STRUGGLED with getting a GE overlay to georef on the GE maps. Everytime I get part of the overlay just right...the other part goes all "wonky". I fix the wonky part and the one that I originally had lined up just right is off and wonky too. Felt like I was in the "Who's on First" skit from Abbott and Costello. Those green lines were driving me nuts.

I think I need some tips on Custom Maps also. I have yet understood how to make these work on my Oregon and actually I have not figured out how they can be of any help to me.

I love em....it's nice to have actual satellite maps on the unit.....garmins "how to" 5 steps is a good explanation. ......or goto gpsfix's website

Agree...the Garmin 5 steps looks simple and straight forward. Just never could get past the set of georef'ing the overlay.

Agree...the Garmin 5 steps looks simple and straight forward. Just never could get past the set of georef'ing the overlay.

Only other thing is make sure your running the most recent version of Google earth.