How do I filter out archived caches on Google Maps?

oz_bean_counter

Until you posed this question, I didn't realize that the Disabled Caches were gray and not white. So, FWIW, thanks for pointing that out tonight.

You Can't filter those out though. Really, no need to. There's one Disabled Cache in my area that SEVERAL folks have been logging finds for. The CO disabled it for the winter thinking that it may not be an easy find I guess, but sure enough a good many folks have been successfully finding it. Might even go after it myself pretty soon.

As for the Archived caches... (Truly Archived) they just don't appear on the Google Maps anymore. I was once told that the caches I have found would still appear on the maps after they've been Archived if I found them. In my experience, this has proven to be false.

I've checked on a few that I had found. And I've seen that once they're Archived they are OFF the maps. No Filter necessary, they're just not there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That said, go out and look for the gray Disabled Caches. Who knows, could be a good find, huh? As I said, I'm lookin' forward to finding one myself.

I don't seem to be able to filter out archived caches on google maps, any ideas??? They come up as grey squares instead of white ones, but I'd rather they don't appear at all.

Cheers,

OBC

You have no idea how many people want to see archived caches. It is a frequent thread. What your seeing is temporarily disabled caches.

Jim

I don't seem to be able to filter out archived caches on google maps, any ideas??? They come up as grey squares instead of white ones, but I'd rather they don't appear at all.

The only way I know (far from ideal) is to create a PQ, selecting only active caches, and viewing the results in Google Maps with this icon in the PQ page : map_magnify.png

Thanks everyone. You are right, the grey caches I am seeing are disabled, not archived. I don't know about trying to find them though, since I have no idea if the CO has temporarily removed them or not.

Check the cache page.

The CO usually notes WHY the cache is Temporarily Disabled. If need be, click the link toward the bottom of the listing to read ALL of the logs for that listing.

As I said, there's a Disabled Cache near me that seems to be perfectly findable. I don't recall why the CO disabled it, but the recent logs tell me free and clear that it's still there and fairly easy to find. I plan on going after it really soon!