What are some good items to put in a geocache?

brandiwos

One time I found a stylus and still use it today. I also love finding matchbox cars to leave in other cache finds. Also personalized tags. They are always a delight to find. Expensive though.  Someone mentioned coins from other countries. I think that's a great idea. I'm going to look for some to leave as swag. There's a cacher whose name is Heart. She leaves hearts, little red glass/resin type hearts, very cute. We keep our caches stocked. After a few finds, we'll replace whatever they took. It's fun and cachers love finding well stocked containers. But some people will leave a stone when trading. lol I usually remove them. 

Edited by HunterandSamuel
  • Upvote 1
On 1/6/2020 at 9:29 AM, HunterandSamuel said:

One time I found a stylus and still use it today. I also love finding matchbox cars to leave in other cache finds. Also personalized tags. They are always a delight to find. Expensive though.  Someone mentioned coins from other countries. I think that's a great idea. I'm going to look for some to leave as swag. There's a cacher whose name is Heart. She leaves hearts, little red glass/resin type hearts, very cute. We keep our caches stocked. After a few finds, we'll replace whatever they took. It's fun and cachers love finding well stocked containers. But some people will leave a stone when trading. lol I usually remove them. 

There's an "antique store" (mostly just old junk) next to the chinese take-out store we frequent that had a table full of matchbox cars for a $1 each.  In fact, there were several card table full of inexpensive "antique" items that would be good for swag.  

I have a large cigar box about 3/4s full of foreign coins (and some paper money) from my travels.  The coins/bills aren't worth much monetarily but it would be uncommon to come across many of them.  For example, I've got a bunch of cuban convertible peso (CUC) coins that are in mint condition (no pun intended), and a bunch of Chinese 1 yuan bills (worth about 14 US cents).   BTW, you can buy foreign coins "in bulk" (search for buy foreign coins in bulk) but it's not as much fun as getting them "in person".

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There's an "antique store" (mostly just old junk) next to the chinese take-out store we frequent that had a table full of matchbox cars for a $1 each.  In fact, there were several card table full of inexpensive "antique" items that would be good for swag.  

I have a large cigar box about 3/4s full of foreign coins (and some paper money) from my travels.  The coins/bills aren't worth much monetarily but it would be uncommon to come across many of them.  For example, I've got a bunch of cuban convertible peso (CUC) coins that are in mint condition (no pun intended), and a bunch of Chinese 1 yuan bills (worth about 14 US cents).   BTW, you can buy foreign coins "in bulk" (search for buy foreign coins in bulk) but it's not as much fun as getting them "in person".

Thanks! I love antiques shops. Great tip!

We still have a stack of Sacagawea dollars, and they're light enough to keep a bunch in any bag JIC we made a trade.  

Still have a bunch of loonies from back-in-the-day,  in case we ever get upstate NY caching while salmon are running again.

Yesterday,  while awaiting the latest med I might need, a teller was asking the manager about getting weight out of the cash drawer.

- Turns out there were 12 Eisenhower dollars loading it down some.  I grabbed 'em all.  I think kids would love those huge coins.  :) 

Now if we only find a cache that has swag in it...

• Love 1
On 3/5/2020 at 9:35 AM, cerberus1 said:

We still have a stack of Sacagawea dollars, and they're light enough to keep a bunch in any bag JIC we made a trade.  

Still have a bunch of loonies from back-in-the-day,  in case we ever get upstate NY caching while salmon are running again.

Yesterday,  while awaiting the latest med I might need, a teller was asking the manager about getting weight out of the cash drawer.

- Turns out there were 12 Eisenhower dollars loading it down some.  I grabbed 'em all.  I think kids would love those huge coins.  :) 

Now if we only find a cache that has swag in it...

I have often asked the bank teller for "funny money". I love collecting those.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, spookypants said:

i like to put in small kids toys (like fake bugs, little toy animals, cool beads, army men, even legos) stuff like that. stickers are also good. and those little erasers.

When I was a newbie I thought bubbles were great swag. Just fyi, they're not! 

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1