CoinsAndPins.com activation code retrieval

nericksx

Thank you for posting the information, Yime. CoinsandPins should really be getting reimbursed by that web hosting company for lost revenue, this really has taken a long time, and it's still not fixed.

To those who have been complaining, did you read CoinsandPins post? They told you how to contact them in the meantime, until this website snafu is fixed.

Yime, I will put your post # in the subtitle, so people will be informed.

I'm starting to see some erroneous information bubble up in this thread. There is absolutely NO loss of information with regards to what customers ordered.

Thanks for chiming in. This is the first information I have seen about customer orders not being lost. Which is great to hear. I am dealing directly with the company about my lost order. Thanks for the info.

Your statements of a "heated exchange" and "no one knows anything" are misleading, self-serving, public vents of your personal vitriol. If truth be told, Aaron offered you a personal phone call on two occasions to discuss your outspoken concerns...and you declined. What better way for the owner of a company to explain the situation to a concerned customer than to offer a personal phone call? That's your loss. If you falsely assumed that offer was intended to initiate an argument, then that's entirely due to your own paranoia.

This thread is here for those that want to be informed about how to retrieve their activation codes from CoinsAndPins.com during the interruption of their business website. Please stay on topic.

Yime,

first of all thank you for the information about the server problems C&P is having. It's very helpful to understand what is going and why certain appearances are in play.

My post was not off topic as you claim as I was simply stating that as a follow up to the server problems on the C&P site something equally weird was going on as I had experienced loss of data from my account. It wasn't until others mentioned they had no problems and had received shipping notices that my paranoia got a kick in the pants.

If you read my posts closely you will see that I mentioned the "personal" problem with your buddy as an aside. I thought my account was being singled out but it wasn't as others are now reporting the same problem with data loss that I raised. I did not attack your compadre as you chose to attack me. I did not slander him or his company as my beef is with pre-sales in general. I have kept my personal remarks off the forums.... I wish you would too.

As a coin distributor for Coins and Pins I can also assure that they are doing everything in their power to make sure everyone is getting the coins they have ordered. The coins arrived and many were shipped out yesterday. I spoke with them on the phone and as Yime said the financial hit they have taken with their website going down at this time of year in huge. I urge everyone to be patient. This is not a fly by night company that is out to take your money. They are good people. I hate seeing all the rumors and tempors flare on these forums when things don't go just as you think they should. This is completely beyond their control and they are working on getting it fixed. Do you really think they want to keep their site down any longer? If you have ordered coins from them I am sure you will be seeing them soon. Keep in mind how difficult it is to do things manually when you are so used to having a computer keep track of things.

Not only did I get a confirmation of shipping, I received my 09' Compass Roses 2 days after the the confirmation, which was yesterday. I don't think that C&P has any intentions of messing any of us over, just like Yemon said. I'm still working on getting the codes for my coins, but I'm confident that, that will happen soon.

As a coin distributor for Coins and Pins I can also assure that they are doing everything in their power to make sure everyone is getting the coins they have ordered. The coins arrived and many were shipped out yesterday. I spoke with them on the phone and as Yime said the financial hit they have taken with their website going down at this time of year in huge. I urge everyone to be patient. This is not a fly by night company that is out to take your money. They are good people. I hate seeing all the rumors and tempors flare on these forums when things don't go just as you think they should. This is completely beyond their control and they are working on getting it fixed. Do you really think they want to keep their site down any longer? If you have ordered coins from them I am sure you will be seeing them soon. Keep in mind how difficult it is to do things manually when you are so used to having a computer keep track of things.

Merry Christmas all!

Edited by cpine

Just checked my account - none, gone, but then again I didn't have an account 15 months ago :(

Orded the Compass Rose as well, hate to bother them but :D

While I'm glad it's not just me this is one time where having company is unfortunate. There was a heated exchange off the forums between me and the owner of C&P over the pre-sale practice so I thought my account was being singled out.

This is one of the reasons I find pre-sales dangerous. Something happens to the vendour or the vendour site and no one knows anything until it's too late and you've been screwed.

While the Compass roses have only just started shipping, apparently I would wait another day for shipping notices. However I would encourage anyone who has paid for coins from C&P in the past month and not received anything yet to at least check your account and make sure your order is on the books. If it isn't Aaron needs to be informed of it.

Thanks Droo i"ve just done that, hope they answer soon, I'll post when

Well I’ve received a personal email from Coins & Pins with an assurance that my order was not lost and that it is ready to be shipped tomorrow as well as tracking information.

Great customer relations in my books, thanks

Not only did I get a confirmation of shipping, I received my 09' Compass Roses 2 days after the the confirmation, which was yesterday. I don't think that C&P has any intentions of messing any of us over, just like Yemon said. I'm still working on getting the codes for my coins, but I'm confident that, that will happen soon.

I had emailed C&P before I made this post. Not long after I made this post I received an email from C&P with my activation codes.

Your statements of a "heated exchange" and "no one knows anything" are misleading, self-serving, public vents of your personal vitriol. If truth be told, Aaron offered you a personal phone call on two occasions to discuss your outspoken concerns...and you declined. What better way for the owner of a company to explain the situation to a concerned customer than to offer a personal phone call? That's your loss. If you falsely assumed that offer was intended to initiate an argument, then that's entirely due to your own paranoia.

This thread is here for those that want to be informed about how to retrieve their activation codes from CoinsAndPins.com during the interruption of their business website. Please stay on topic.

Yime,

first of all thank you for the information about the server problems C&P is having. It's very helpful to understand what is going and why certain appearances are in play.

My post was not off topic as you claim as I was simply stating that as a follow up to the server problems on the C&P site something equally weird was going on as I had experienced loss of data from my account. It wasn't until others mentioned they had no problems and had received shipping notices that my paranoia got a kick in the pants.

If you read my posts closely you will see that I mentioned the "personal" problem with your buddy as an aside. I thought my account was being singled out but it wasn't as others are now reporting the same problem with data loss that I raised. I did not attack your compadre as you chose to attack me. I did not slander him or his company as my beef is with pre-sales in general. I have kept my personal remarks off the forums.... I wish you would too.

Although this forum can be an effective watchdog of vendors that don't live up to their promises, it can also be used as a boiling pot of discontent...where absolutely none is warranted.

CoinsAndPins has been forthright in answering customer concerns, and made a clear effort in directing them where to go to retrieve their activation codes. There have been no purposeful instances of ignorance, or blatant avoidance in fulfilling anyone's purchases. CoinsAndPins has still managed to be communicative with their customers at a time when they are dealing with the severe damage done by (ironically) a vendor that is not being communicative with them.

No matter how you spin it, your "asides" were irresponsible conjecture and did nothing more than stir the pot of discontent. Your general negativity is clearly fueled by your personal disagreement with CoinsAndPins, and has no place in a thread intended to help their customers.

You can certainly try to play this off as an attack against you, Droo. But those who can read between the lines can consider this my sharp defense of a vendor that doesn't deserve your bad press.

The codes for the Mystery Heart, Compass Rose 2009, and Fantasy Butterfly have been added to coincodes.com

If there are any other coins by Coins and Pins that you can not get the code for at coincodes.com you will need to contact Coins and Pins directly.

Thanks,

Eric

The codes for the Mystery Heart, Compass Rose 2009, and Fantasy Butterfly have been added to coincodes.com

If there are any other coins by Coins and Pins that you can not get the code for at coincodes.com you will need to contact Coins and Pins directly.

Thanks,

Eric

SO is the web site fixed yet?

Edited by cpine

Thanks,

Eric

SO is the web site fixed yet?

A quick google and a click tells me yes, it is.

Can someone tell me if they have had contact with anyone from teh site lately? I emailed a request for my activation codes about a week ago per teh instructions from this post and have heard nothing. I recent teh request last night. This makes me nervous when teh website just says its down including teh contact info on the site is not there anymore! Makes me very nervous! Just saying! I have a groupd of coind from them that have no codes yet!

Please respond and let us know what is happening?

I stand corrected there is an email address I guess I will try that.

Chris

Edited by cpine

Can someone tell me if they have had contact with anyone from teh site lately? I emailed a request for my activation codes about a week ago per teh instructions from this post and have heard nothing. I recent teh request last night. This makes me nervous when teh website just says its down including teh contact info on the site is not there anymore! Makes me very nervous! Just saying! I have a groupd of coind from them that have no codes yet!

Please respond and let us know what is happening?

I stand corrected there is an email address I guess I will try that.

Chris

I used the email on the website and got a reply withing about 20 minutes!

Thanks!

From their Facebook page, posted at 2:32 PM yesterday, as mentioned by Pastor_B, above:

The problem with our website is a server malfunction which has affected several websites. We hope the problem will be fixed by tomorrow afternoon.

It's now February 5th... I would suggest they get a new server. JMHO

Got to be a little more going on than a little server problem. ;)

Please be patient. They're working on it. I'm sure this hurts them, more than it hurts you. But don't worry, they can't sell out of anything, if they can't sell anything. B)

Sure they can, there is always Ebay.

Observation:

Seems more of the ones we thought were more solid are having problems. Really surprised at this one. I don't know what to think.

Edited by Flatouts

Other than an issue with the company that hosts their site they are not having any problems. I have been buying from them all along over the past two months while they are having problems. As a distributor we have most all of their product and I can assure you they are still as solid as ever. I don't understand the web site issue completely but they are still providing coins as promised and still working to get everything resolved. They are almost back up and running. They are working on getting all the activation codes entered right now. Hopefully not too much longer.

Coins and Pins put aside the recent compass rose set I ordered for a month while I went travelling and then posted them the day I had requested. The coins arrived the day after I returned. They are precise, professional, rave, rave !

They once had an issue with a mint that printed different tracking numbers on coins to what was requested and they then worked with Groundspeak to adjust the tracking database and solved that massive issue in a couple of weeks.

If there is a better vendor out there I haven't come across them yet. Their fans are loyal and quite happy to let everyone know they are a great company. I wouldn't worry. C&P are probably just as loyal to their internet service provider (who seem to be the one having the issue).

Edited by haysonics

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, people did business using very old fashioned methods called a telephone, and the post office. Things took a little longer, but it worked, and the people did survive. Why, the internet wasn't even invented back then! And yet, commerce went on. Goods were sold and traded and sent back and forth across the land, and sea. Life was slower paced back then, and business went on as usual. So while coinsandpins.com website is down, the company is not, and all one has to do is go about it the old fashioned way. If you want some real nostalgia, call them up on a rotary phone, or place your order via snail mail. ;)

The end.

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, people did business using very old fashioned methods called a telephone, and the post office. Things took a little longer, but it worked, and the people did survive. Why, the internet wasn't even invented back then! And yet, commerce went on. Goods were sold and traded and sent back and forth across the land, and sea. Life was slower paced back then, and business went on as usual. So while coinsandpins.com website is down, the company is not, and all one has to do is go about it the old fashioned way. If you want some real nostalgia, call them up on a rotary phone, or place your order via snail mail. ;)

The end.

Geocachers are wonderful in person but snarky as hell on the forums.

I've been a web developer for 10 years and I can tell you that for a site to be down for nearly two months, there is definitely more going on than "server trouble"

I'm sure coinsandpins is great if you're an existing customer but I am unlikely to ever buy from them as a new customer. I wanted the birthday geocoin for my son's birthday on the Dec 26th. For over a week they didn't even have an error page up, much less a page detailing their contact info. Naturally by the time they posted some contact info, it was too late to get anything here on time. Of course, by that point I'm a little nervous about buying from a company that lets their URL resolve to a 404 for 2 weeks.

"Once upon a time" when we didn't have the internet, we had dead-tree catalogs and phone numbers. How would a potential customer know what they carry at this point? They don't even list a phone number on their error page to request a catalog, and I sure don't trust a place that can't get their website up after 2 months to even receive an email, much less reply to one.

I'm actually not all that upset about coinsandpins.com being down. Maybe they are moving to a brick & mortar model, maybe they are setting up as an Ebay store. Who knows? Who cares? If I want a geocoin that bad, I'll just go to another vendor. What I'm replying to is Eartha's snarky reply that being frustrated/confused that a previously seemingly reliable vendor's site is down is somehow the CUSTOMER'S problem. That the most preposterous thing I've heard all week. If you're a virtual business, then your website is your face to the world. If you let your website disappear for 2 months, it's the same as boarding up the doors and windows on a brick & mortal store. How am I supposed to know they're still a great business, just selling out of the back of their car instead? All I know is that it appears that they couldn't keep the lights on, so I'm not inclined to trust them with my money.

</rant>

Having been in a similar situation, it took me all of 2 days to move my backup onto a new server platform.

If C&P didn't regularly back up their site, customer database, and code database - it would be my guess they are not just mad as heck, but frantic to rebuild their site.

I've had other issues as you may recall, but my customers were ALWAYS kept up to date as to what I was doing about it, and in the end, all was well.

It's not the mods responsibility to defend, nor is it the frogs' to intervene - but C&P should show up and let their customers know what's going on. And if they don't know who they are by not having a viable backup of their databases, they should monitor the thread here and respond when necessary.

~J

Having been in a similar situation, it took me all of 2 days to move my backup onto a new server platform.

If C&P didn't regularly back up their site, customer database, and code database - it would be my guess they are not just mad as heck, but frantic to rebuild their site.

I've had other issues as you may recall, but my customers were ALWAYS kept up to date as to what I was doing about it, and in the end, all was well.

It's not the mods responsibility to defend, nor is it the frogs' to intervene - but C&P should show up and let their customers know what's going on. And if they don't know who they are by not having a viable backup of their databases, they should monitor the thread here and respond when necessary.

~J

It is truly amazing that you, of all people, would say that.

Since C&P does not have our money for coins we ordered, and they are handling the activation codes, what else do we need from them? If you need product, their website lists all their distributors.

Folks, when their site comes back up, I"m sure you will be made aware of it. Don't expect them to come in here and explain the obvious. Their site is down, and they are working on it.

<snip>It is truly amazing that you, of all people, would say that. </snip>

I don't have anyone's money either -

But then again I was referring to the technical aspect of C&Ps woes - not that YOU would understand that. I know for a fact that when MY WEBSITE went down - I had a new host the next day, and my website, webstore, customer database and code activation databases were all uploaded and in the DNS database in 48 hours.

You should know better than anyone how easy it is to upload activation codes.. but then again - maybe not, since I was being emailed by your customers in 2009 seeking codes for your coin. Maybe you should talk to Will to ask how incredibly EASY it is.

The bottom line is - C&Ps site is down - IF they sent their codes to Coincodes, they should be up by now. I know this because it took me all of 2 hours to upload and host TnT's codes.

Try to keep your opinion about me (for what its worth) out of this thread - I am speaking from experience, which I am now aware, you have none in this area.

~J

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, people did business using very old fashioned methods called a telephone, and the post office. Things took a little longer, but it worked, and the people did survive. Why, the internet wasn't even invented back then! And yet, commerce went on. Goods were sold and traded and sent back and forth across the land, and sea. Life was slower paced back then, and business went on as usual. So while coinsandpins.com website is down, the company is not, and all one has to do is go about it the old fashioned way. If you want some real nostalgia, call them up on a rotary phone, or place your order via snail mail. :laughing:

The end.

Geocachers are wonderful in person but snarky as hell on the forums.

I've been a web developer for 10 years and I can tell you that for a site to be down for nearly two months, there is definitely more going on than "server trouble"

I'm sure coinsandpins is great if you're an existing customer but I am unlikely to ever buy from them as a new customer. I wanted the birthday geocoin for my son's birthday on the Dec 26th. For over a week they didn't even have an error page up, much less a page detailing their contact info. Naturally by the time they posted some contact info, it was too late to get anything here on time. Of course, by that point I'm a little nervous about buying from a company that lets their URL resolve to a 404 for 2 weeks.

"Once upon a time" when we didn't have the internet, we had dead-tree catalogs and phone numbers. How would a potential customer know what they carry at this point? They don't even list a phone number on their error page to request a catalog, and I sure don't trust a place that can't get their website up after 2 months to even receive an email, much less reply to one.

I'm actually not all that upset about coinsandpins.com being down. Maybe they are moving to a brick & mortar model, maybe they are setting up as an Ebay store. Who knows? Who cares? If I want a geocoin that bad, I'll just go to another vendor. What I'm replying to is Eartha's snarky reply that being frustrated/confused that a previously seemingly reliable vendor's site is down is somehow the CUSTOMER'S problem. That the most preposterous thing I've heard all week. If you're a virtual business, then your website is your face to the world. If you let your website disappear for 2 months, it's the same as boarding up the doors and windows on a brick & mortal store. How am I supposed to know they're still a great business, just selling out of the back of their car instead? All I know is that it appears that they couldn't keep the lights on, so I'm not inclined to trust them with my money.

</rant>

For the most part if you wanted to buy a coin from Coins and Pins BEFORE their problems with their webhosting service you'd have to purchase during a 3 week window for delivery say 8-10 weeks down the line. So if you wanted a coin in December you had to make your purchase in September. "Brick and Mortar"??? Are you kidding - that requires carrying stock and having a line of credit with your banker not your customer.

But then again I was referring to the technical aspect of C&Ps woes - not that YOU would understand that. I know for a fact that when MY WEBSITE went down - I had a new host the next day, and my website, webstore, customer database and code activation databases were all uploaded and in the DNS database in 48 hours.

You should know better than anyone how easy it is to upload activation codes.. but then again - maybe not, since I was being emailed by your customers in 2009 seeking codes for your coin. Maybe you should talk to Will to ask how incredibly EASY it is.

The bottom line is - C&Ps site is down - IF they sent their codes to Coincodes, they should be up by now. I know this because it took me all of 2 hours to upload and host TnT's codes.

Try to keep your opinion about me (for what its worth) out of this thread - I am speaking from experience, which I am now aware, you have none in this area.

~J

Thanks for the nasty PMs, Jim.

I don't think it takes great intellect to figure out their site is down. I don't really care why or how, but their site is down.

While Jim has informed me via PM that I am too stupid to take part in this conversation, my tiny little brain can pull up their site and read what they have to say. It tells me how to get activation codes, and tells me how to get product. Hmmm....that is all I need.

But folks, C&P has always delivered a quality product for geocachers. They aren't holding onto our money, and from what I understand, they are getting the codes out to people who need them.

I hope they come back soon also. But lets not make demands that they come in here and explain themselves. They have enough to do.

Nope, but you sure did for a heck of a long time, and I for one sure don't remember you being too quick to respond to our inquiries about it(either via email or in this very forum). So maybe using youself as an example here isn't the best thing to be doing. We would still do business with Coins and Pins, so there is'nt really much of a comparisson is there?

~J

<snip>I for one sure don't remember you being too quick to respond to our inquiries about it(either via email or in this very forum). So maybe using youself as an example here isn't the best thing to be doing. We would still do business with Coins and Pins, so there is'nt really much of a comparisson is there?</snip>

For the most part if you wanted to buy a coin from Coins and Pins BEFORE their problems with their webhosting service you'd have to purchase during a 3 week window for delivery say 8-10 weeks down the line. So if you wanted a coin in December you had to make your purchase in September. "Brick and Mortar"??? Are you kidding - that requires carrying stock and having a line of credit with your banker not your customer.

When did this become a flame war pointed at me? It took me 94 days to pick up the pieces and deliver 2 coin runs starting over with nothing - and you COULD have been informed had you turned your newsletter subscription on in my webstore because every one of my customers (who had their newsletters set to on) were informed on a regular basis.

So I guess it is normal practice for C&P to accept orders 11-13 weeks in advance of delivery and not be scrutinized? PLEASE.

How about putting the flame throwers down for a change (I know this may be hard), and keep focus on the issue at hand. Now, I will be the first to tell you that I personally am NOT a customer of C&P, so I can't speak coherently on their notification practices and status updates.

I am also not a customer of TnT, yet I will offer C&P the same business courtesy I have extended to TnT - to host their activation codes at no cost.

The issue at hand is about their website functionality - not once did I flame C&P - I said "If C&P didn't regularly back up their site, customer database, and code database - it would be my guess they are not just mad as heck, but frantic to rebuild their site."

Please keep your eye on the ball.

~J

I just totally miss their pre-sales. C&P does some fabulous coinery and I'm just jonseying for new kewl navigational-related stuff. Plus, their website handled it all so well, with estimated times for everything in the pre-sale-to-shipping process, mouth-watering pictures, etc. It really was one of my favorite sites for new coins, and wrt pre-sales, I personally consider them the benchmark of how it should be done. I hope they come back soon.

Jackalgirl....well just wait. You wont want to miss a new coin we have waiting to go on pre-sale with them. It is not a navigational coin but it is space related. I don't want to let too much out yet but we have the samples and what a great coin this will be. I too am looking forward to the new C&P web site. They are working on getting it back up rather than come on here and deal with the bs that goes on in these forums. Like people have said, go to the site and you can get whatever you need from the splash page. Or go to a distributor and buy the product there.

When did this become a flame war pointed at me?

Problem started right here:

Continued here:

C&P should show up and let their customers know what's going on. And if they don't know who they are by not having a viable backup of their databases, they should monitor the thread here and respond when necessary.

And got thicker with this gem:

I am also not a customer of TnT, yet I will offer C&P the same business courtesy I have extended to TnT - to host their activation codes at no cost.

Jim, you have absolutely no idea what's going on with this situation.

Your boasts of how you solved a similar problem within two days, your criticism of how they should handle it, and your showy offer of "business courtesy" are blatantly self-serving. It's kinda obvious that you're touting yourself while at the same time squirting lighter fluid on the angst bonfire.

You're a competitor and admitted non-customer of CoinsAndPins, so perhaps you should have the common decency to avoid entering a discussion about another vendor that has nothing to do with you or your business.

Jackalgirl....well just wait. You wont want to miss a new coin we have waiting to go on pre-sale with them. It is not a navigational coin but it is space related. I don't want to let too much out yet but we have the samples and what a great coin this will be. I too am looking forward to the new C&P web site. They are working on getting it back up rather than come on here and deal with the bs that goes on in these forums. Like people have said, go to the site and you can get whatever you need from the splash page. Or go to a distributor and buy the product there.

Looking forward to seeing your coin!

I for one wouldn't mind them coming here to say "hey, here's what's going on, and here's our rough estimate for when we'll be online, and here's what we've got planned for when we come back". But I'm not going to criticize them for not doing so. I agree that the splash page says what it needs to say. I just miss 'em, that's all. : )

I personally consider them the benchmark of how it should be done. I hope they come back soon.

Me too. if i ordered a in stock coin, it was in my hands within 4 business days. preorders by time i got the 'we're shipping' email, i had it in two days. its troublesome not to even see a post from them here.

I personally consider them the benchmark of how it should be done. I hope they come back soon.

Me too. if i ordered a in stock coin, it was in my hands within 4 business days. preorders by time i got the 'we're shipping' email, i had it in two days. its troublesome not to even see a post from them here.

You shouldn't consider it troublesome to not see them post here. They have long ago quit posting in this forum. Sometimes they will post some information regarding coins and the condition of coins, etc. but they no longer post coins for sale and commercial things like that. They have left that to whoever is "in charge" of that project.

They'll be back, with the beautiful high quality coins that they have always carried. But I don't expect them to take time away from what they are doing to up date us here. I expect that they update will remain on their website address until they are operational again.

You're absolutely right - THAT'S MY POINT - NOBODY DOES!

I'm pretty resilient, so I can take the punches - All I'm getting at is that the OP wanted to know what's up, and NOBODY from C&P wants to step up and tell him.

~J

That's not quite true. Any information a customer needs is posted on the page that comes up when you go to their website. People are not ordering anything by way of this thread.

Excluding the links, it's all there, no one is left in the lurch:

We are sorry for the inconvenience of our website being down. We hope to have the website back in service soon.

Please contact us at customerspt@coinsandpins.com for any questions, custom coin projects, or about an order you received.

Our office is closed from 24 Dec 2009 to 4 January 2010, but we will still work on fixing the website. We will also continue to help with geocoin activation code retrieval during the holidays and try to get codes to you within two days.

You can also retrieve most activation codes at www.CoinCodes.com for the following geocoins (starting Dec 24th):

- 2009 Compass Rose GeocoinTM

- Mystery Heart geocoin

- Fantasy Butterfly 2009 geocoin

- Most geocoins we minted prior to July 2009

Contact us if your activation code is not available on www.CoinCodes.com. You must include the name of the coin(s) and your tracking number(s). Please do not contact CoinCodes.com for activation code problems since we are the only ones who can assist for geocoins made after July 2009 and a select few other geocoins made prior to July 2009.

You can also purchase our geocaching products from these stores located around the world and on eBay:

Also being a distributor for C&P I can tell you they are still around, answering emails and Aaron is just as upset about the server being down as anyone else. Here is a quote from Aaron in an email to me- "Yes, this hosting company did not keep proper backups. I think they had the two backups on the same server that crashed. Not very smart, but they will now keep a third backup in a separate building." So essentially the hosting company lost everything of his website.

Just because his website is not there, I am real sure his mind is still spinning for future coins to make.

You're absolutely right - THAT'S MY POINT - NOBODY DOES!

I'm pretty resilient, so I can take the punches - All I'm getting at is that the OP wanted to know what's up, and NOBODY from C&P wants to step up and tell him.

~J

Jim, you're wrong and just flat out uninformed. You're also way out of line for persisting on casting stones, because you are admittedly not a customer of CoinsAndPins. Please just stop your muckraking and play by the rules that every other vendor is expected to play by here. Perhaps you should go back to posting in your own thread, where I might add, your many detractors have left you alone...despite your own epic customer service failures.

For those that ARE customers or fans of CoinsAndPins, they have addressed their website problems on their Facebook page, and in THIS THREAD, which Geocoin Guy didn't bother to look for before he started slinging mud here. Unfortunately, their mailing list was part of the crash, so they're unable to update everyone directly.

Eartha, perhaps you could consider merging the threads?

Jim:

Here is the issue that happens here.

Whenever one vendor says anything about another vendor it is not going to end good.

Since you arent' a customer you should leave it to the customers to post complaints or compliments if they have any.

How would you feel if other vendors were posting in message threads about your company?

It's not a matter of being thick skinned or whatever, it's a matter of being professional.

Also being a distributor for C&P I can tell you they are still around, answering emails and Aaron is just as upset about the server being down as anyone else. Here is a quote from Aaron in an email to me- "Yes, this hosting company did not keep proper backups. I think they had the two backups on the same server that crashed. Not very smart, but they will now keep a third backup in a separate building." So essentially the hosting company lost everything of his website.

Just because his website is not there, I am real sure his mind is still spinning for future coins to make.

It`s really ashame how you hit on C&P. I am totaly with rsfish1.

I consider me as a fan from C&P and I do have regulary contact with Aaron and can imagine how he feels in person and as a very good and reliable vendor.

It is really a horror scenario to imagine when several servers will get attacks from outside and our whole communication will breack down. I do not want to imagine about that.

So lets cross fingers for C&P to come back to us all as soon as possible in full competence as they were before and how we were treated by Aaron and his very good team.

drama, drama, drama...... none of this is proactive. C&Ps web is down nothing anyone can do about it. theres no point in saying what should ,could or hasent been done.

what it comes down to, is what C&P wants to do, if they dont want to post here they dont have to. if they dont wanna put up their site, they dont have to. They could leave it down for forever if they wanted.

I personally think that as a very good vendor in my and many other peps eyes, with quality product. they are loosing hundreds and thousands of bucks,, so why wouldent they be doing everything they could to get the site back to normal. the only peps they NEED to keep updated is the ones who are currently minting coins with them and anyone who has current orders. I know for a fact that they are doing this on a personal basis, with personal phone calls and emails. so i hope the best for them and wish them luck in getting their site up and running when they can.

Geez... I wish everyone would read the topic title and stick to it -

The OP asked a question and gave an opinion about his occupation as a developer.

I simply stated that "I" have dealt personally with the same sort of hosting issue.

Not once did I say a word about how C&P operates their business, as it is NOT any of my business.

All I was getting at is that any online business owner, C&P included SHOULD maintain a 'ready to upload' backup of their website including their databases IN THE EVENT that a host crashes a redundant backup system.

C&P obviously has alot of fans, and that's great.. more power to 'em - and I'm not disputing that. I'm saying that HAD they kept a backup of their site and databases, they COULD HAVE made a hosting change and been back online within 48 hours.

Is there any part of that you didn't understand?

~J

Not once did I say a word about how C&P operates their business, as it is NOT any of my business.

In Post #75 you said, "It's not the mods responsibility to defend, nor is it the frogs' to intervene - but C&P should show up and let their customers know what's going on. And if they don't know who they are by not having a viable backup of their databases, they should monitor the thread here and respond when necessary."

To me, you are telling them how to run their business by saying they SHOULD show up here in the forums and respond when necessary.

C&P obviously has alot of fans, and that's great.. more power to 'em - and I'm not disputing that. I'm saying that HAD they kept a backup of their site and databases, they COULD HAVE made a hosting change and been back online within 48 hours.

And in Post #90, a message from Aaron stated, "Yes, this hosting company did not keep proper backups. I think they had the two backups on the same server that crashed. Not very smart, but they will now keep a third backup in a separate building."

So, they did have a backup but their hosting company screwed up by having the backups on the same server that crashed. IMO, they should probably find a different hosting company.

~J

I just had to add my recent experience to the list here. I just recently purchased 2 geocoins from coinsandpins and received them in about a week. I had not read this thread before I tried to activate, so yes, I did panic a little when I went to their website. I did follow the instructions and emailed late last night for the activation codes. This morning, there was an email in my inbox with the necessary codes.

So kudos to them, the whole transaction went smoothly. I would only advise that they change their home page, given it's been several months apparently, with a more streamlined message that reads something to the effect of: "To activate your coin, please email us at ..." "Older coins can be activated at ..."

Just so that the appearance seems less worrying, and that emailing is actually the standard practice.

I would buy from them again, they've been quick and responsive.

Edited by Lokidog