CoinsAndPins.com activation code retrieval

nericksx

Oh - I'm glad it's not just me - I came upstairs just now because I thought the router had crashed and wasn't looking up DNS as a couple of other sites I tested it with wouldn't resolve either!

Facebook was doing the same for me a couple of minutes ago - that's why I thought there was something up at my end and my ISP have no issues flagged on their network status page.

I just talked to C&P on the phone and they said that they are having server maintenance being done and it took a little longer than they expected. They should be up and running sometimes later this afternoon.

Today the site is still not running ...

Seems to be a major problem.

From their Facebook page, posted at 2:32 PM yesterday, as mentioned by Pastor_B, above:

The problem with our website is a server malfunction which has affected several websites. We hope the problem will be fixed by tomorrow afternoon.

Please be patient. They're working on it. I'm sure this hurts them, more than it hurts you. But don't worry, they can't sell out of anything, if they can't sell anything. :D

Hello,

I was informed today that our website was made a priority to get back up and running. However, I am sure there are some other websites on the same server that are also a priority. So, if the web site is not running by tomorrow afternoon (Friday 11 Dec 2009), then please contact me through my geocaching profile with your tracking numbers and I will reply back to you with the activation codes.

Important:

In your email, ensure you include the title of the coin, the tracking number, and do not hide your email address or I cannot get back back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Hello,

I was informed today that our website was made a priority to get back up and running. However, I am sure there are some other websites on the same server that are also a priority. So, if the web site is not running by tomorrow afternoon (Friday 11 Dec 2009), then please contact me through my geocaching profile with your tracking numbers and I will reply back to you with the activation codes.

Important:

In your email, ensure you include the title of the coin, the tracking number, and do not hide your email address or I cannot get back back to you.

Thanks for doing that for everyone who wants to activate new coins, Like myself. :)

This is quoted from Coins and Pins on another thread;

"Hello,

Important:

Thank you for your patience."

So just disregard my initial post.

Anything new to report? I saw the site seemed to be back to life briefly and then disappeared again behind a green maintenance page. I was all ready to get a set of mariner coins and then this happens! :laughing:

Quick edit to say that I understand that it's a bummer and I'm sure they're working on getting it all back up as quickly as possible.

Edited by tachoknight

Anything new to report? I saw the site seemed to be back to life briefly and then disappeared again behind a green maintenance page. I was all ready to get a set of mariner coins and then this happens! :laughing:

Quick edit to say that I understand that it's a bummer and I'm sure they're working on getting it all back up as quickly as possible.

That was a several month old version of their web store. I imagine many of those coins are long out of stock. Was glad to see the green construction screen appear.

Hello,

Important:

Contacted but got no reply. This morning the website is back but sends me to coincodes.com, which doesn't find my tracking number. My 250th coin is engraved, my 250th find will be within days, but still can't activate.

Scroll down, right hand column, Geo Achievement 250. I see it there, if that is the one you are referring to.

Contacted but got no reply. This morning the website is back but sends me to coincodes.com, which doesn't find my tracking number. My 250th coin is engraved, my 250th find will be within days, but still can't activate.

Scroll down, right hand column, Geo Achievement 250. I see it there, if that is the one you are referring to.

Not all of the codes have been supplied to coincodes.com by Coins and Pins. If your code does not come up you will need to contact Coins and Pins directly as we do not have the missing codes at coincodes.com.

Thanks,

Eric

Just checked my account - none, gone, but then again I didn't have an account 15 months ago :laughing:

Orded the Compass Rose as well, hate to bother them but :laughing:

While I'm glad it's not just me this is one time where having company is unfortunate. There was a heated exchange off the forums between me and the owner of C&P over the pre-sale practice so I thought my account was being singled out.

This is one of the reasons I find pre-sales dangerous. Something happens to the vendour or the vendour site and no one knows anything until it's too late and you've been screwed.

While the Compass roses have only just started shipping, apparently I would wait another day for shipping notices. However I would encourage anyone who has paid for coins from C&P in the past month and not received anything yet to at least check your account and make sure your order is on the books. If it isn't Aaron needs to be informed of it.

Just checked my account - none, gone, but then again I didn't have an account 15 months ago :laughing:

While I'm glad it's not just me this is one time where having company is unfortunate. There was a heated exchange off the forums between me and the owner of C&P over the pre-sale practice so I thought my account was being singled out.

This is one of the reasons I find pre-sales dangerous. Something happens to the vendour or the vendour site and no one knows anything until it's too late and you've been screwed.

While the Compass roses have only just started shipping, apparently I would wait another day for shipping notices. However I would encourage anyone who has paid for coins from C&P in the past month and not received anything yet to at least check your account and make sure your order is on the books. If it isn't Aaron needs to be informed of it.

I got my shipping notice over the weekend. Hoping they arrive soon. From Presale Purchase to Shipping Notification was 37 days.

Thanks Droo i"ve just done that, hope they answer soon, I'll post when

This is in reference to the recent Compass Rose pre-sale not the activation code or C&P site being down. I did not get a shipping notice but a box of compass roses arrived unexpectedly yesterday. I was thrilled and relieved at the same time. Sorry that other are unsure of their orders status-I was too until yesterdays mail. Good luck to everyone else. Dana

Our Compass Rose 2009 coins arrived yesterday 12-21-09. It looks like there's some movement on their site this morning. So it looks like there's some life there and they ARE shipping. C&P is one of my favorites so I hate to see this happening to them.

Edited by ST13PILOT

Hello,

Important:

Edited by cpine

Hello,

Important:

To forgo the being a jerk fit as some would perciev it. This is unacceptable! Tell me why I should purchase from you again if you have no way for me to activate my coins when I want to, like the arrangemnet was when I in good faith purchased the coins!

Again I am trying to be patient but I had a situation I wanted to drop a coin this morning for a special cache that had been placed and I am still waiting for the dang activation code! Not acceptable!

What will you be doing for your customers when and if this gets fixed?

Hey cpine. I can sense your frustration, but honestly even Groundspeak has gone down a few times in the last year. Many of the other sites have also gone down during the past year at some point or another and that is the nature of technology.

I am sure C&P is more frustrated than you as they have probably lost a significant amount of business during the holiday season because of this. However, he has a backup in place for activations and has posted that on this forum and on facebook... so you will be able to activate your coin.

Hello,

Important:

To forgo the being a jerk fit as some would perciev it. This is unacceptable! Tell me why I should purchase from you again if you have no way for me to activate my coins when I want to, like the arrangemnet was when I in good faith purchased the coins!

Again I am trying to be patient but I had a situation I wanted to drop a coin this morning for a special cache that had been placed and I am still waiting for the dang activation code! Not acceptable!

What will you be doing for your customers when and if this gets fixed?

Hey cpine. I can sense your frustration, but honestly even Groundspeak has gone down a few times in the last year. Many of the other sites have also gone down during the past year at some point or another and that is the nature of technology.

I am sure C&P is more frustrated than you as they have probably lost a significant amount of business during the holiday season because of this. However, he has a backup in place for activations and has posted that on this forum and on facebook... so you will be able to activate your coin.

By the way why not provide the stupid activation code when you mail it to me! ? Would that not forgo this problem? Also I do hot have them subscribed on facebook and I don't frequent the forums that often so I did not know anything about this problem until I went to get my activation code and found out this had been happening for almost two weeks.

Edited by cpine

However I would encourage anyone who has paid for coins from C&P in the past month and not received anything yet to at least check your account and make sure your order is on the books. If it isn't Aaron needs to be informed of it.

Good point. I ordered the fantasy butterflies on Oct 20th, and forgot to check on it, just assumed it would arrive. Mailed priority too.

Edited by avroair

Just checked my account - none, gone, but then again I didn't have an account 15 months ago :(

Orded the Compass Rose as well, hate to bother them but :D

the site does not even recognize my email! I have ordered many times... HMMM??????

Edited by cpine

Although I'm not an official spokesperson for CoinsAndPins.com, I am a friend and colleague of Aaron's, and I'm starting to see some erroneous information and personal problems bubble up in this thread. He's engaged in a legal fight with a web-hosting company, so here's what's happening:

CoinsAndPins.com has lost a significant amount of its website content due to their web-hosting company having a major server crash. In what could be one of the biggest bone-headed no-nos I've ever heard of... the web-hosting company allegedly backed up C&P's website on the same server that crashed. :D So now the web-hosting company has placed itself in a defensive position, and has gone non-responsive for fears of the legal ramifications it may be facing. Aaron won't flame-storm them, but I certainly will. :(

There is absolutely NO loss of information with regards to what customers ordered. That information is with C&P the whole time, and the 2009 Compass Rose Geocoins have begun shipping. The mint pre-packaged the sets, and those were the first to arrive for distribution. So that's why some people received theirs early. Individual orders have also been shipping as the coins have all arrived from China. If you have not received something from C&P, contact them directly.

As a result of the server crash, code retrieval for these coins will not be available on the website. It's gonzo until this mess is settled and/or rebuilt elsewhere. As he stated at the beginning, you can contact Aaron and request your activation codes through his GC Profile here: CoinsAndPins. Be sure to include the name of the geocoin, and the tracking number in your message. You can also call C&P during business hours and they'd be happy to help you. Keep in mind, they will be closed for the holidays beginning December 24th.

The bottom line here is that CoinsAndPins.com is doing what they can under the circumstances, and ask that you please bear with them until a solution is achieved.

With regards to you, Droo...

There was a heated exchange off the forums between me and the owner of C&P over the pre-sale practice so I thought my account was being singled out.

CoinsAndPins.com started this thread in a clear effort to better inform everyone of how to retrieve their codes during this situation. At no point has there been a question about customer orders becoming jeopardized, so your personal feelings about pre-sales and paranoia over people getting screwed are entirely inappropriate and off-topic here. Aaron has been nothing but upfront and informative during this situation.

Your statements of a "heated exchange" and "no one knows anything" are misleading, self-serving, public vents of your personal vitriol. If truth be told, Aaron offered you a personal phone call on two occasions to discuss your outspoken concerns...and you declined. What better way for the owner of a company to explain the situation to a concerned customer than to offer a personal phone call? That's your loss. If you falsely assumed that offer was intended to initiate an argument, then that's entirely due to your own paranoia.

This thread is here for those that want to be informed about how to retrieve their activation codes from CoinsAndPins.com during the interruption of their business website. Please stay on topic.