How to find your first benchmark

buzzy_cacher

Hi buzzy_cacher -

I recommend entering your own zip code "Postal Code" in the benchmark search and FAQ web page. Then choose a mark that someone else amongst us has already found and go looking for it. That will give you experience in seeing how they look in the field. At the same time, pick some to look for that have not been found if there are any.

There are many important things to learn about benchmark searching but probably the main one is to learn the difference between "scaled" and "adjusted" marks. It's explained in the FAQ page.

I suggest reading the entire benchmark search and FAQ page, especially starting here.

I am a novice geocacher (20 finds and 1 hide) and am interested in finding a benchmark (or few). So how should I begin my approach? Should I do what I normally do with caches - plug in the coords onto my GPS and just set out? Or are there some techniques I should keep in mind??

Choose a cache near to where you would like to start hunting benchmarks. Click on the link for nearest benchmarks. This will bring up a list of benchmarks that are close to the cache area. Look over the list and choose a benchmark that has a name for its designation. This will most likely be a triangulation station that has adjusted coordinates. Follow your GPSr to the given coordinates and you should be able to find the disk. Also print out the benchmark page so you will be able to read the "documented history" since it will contain information that may come in helpful when looking for the benchmark and any accompanying disks that may be there. The documented history will usually tell you what is stamped on the disk, so you will know if you find the right one.

If you choose a benchmark with scaled coordinates you will need the documented history to get you to the right place to look for the benchmark.

Have fun and good hunting,

John

Hi buzzy_cacher -

I recommend entering your own zip code "Postal Code" in the benchmark search and FAQ web page. Then choose a mark that someone else amongst us has already found and go looking for it. That will give you experience in seeing how they look in the field. At the same time, pick some to look for that have not been found if there are any.

There are many important things to learn about benchmark searching but probably the main one is to learn the difference between "scaled" and "adjusted" marks. It's explained in the FAQ page.

I suggest reading the entire benchmark search and FAQ page, especially starting here.

Sage advice from one of the masters! :)

As stated, you will have more success if you start out looking for 'adjusted' marks. Those have hyper-accurate co-ordinates, and your GPSr should take you right to it.

John wrote:

Choose a cache near to where you would like to start hunting benchmarks. Click on the link for nearest benchmarks. This will bring up a list of benchmarks that are close to the cache area.

Great advice. Then, if you find you enjoy benchmark hunting (and I predict you will), why not click the "nearest benchmark" link for every cache you're preparing to hunt? You will be amazed at how often there is a benchmark at, or very close to, a cache.

Meanwhile, while searching the benchmark data sheets, if you see a dozen recovery notes for a station, click "nearest caches". There's probably a reason why a particular station is so "popular". The logs are another clue--especially if many of them say, "Stumbled across this benchmark while doing 'The Bear in His Den'."

Combining these two aspects of the hobby will give you many opportunities to grab multiple targets at one location.

-PFF-

John wrote:

Choose a cache near to where you would like to start hunting benchmarks. Click on the link for nearest benchmarks. This will bring up a list of benchmarks that are close to the cache area.

Great advice. Then, if you find you enjoy benchmark hunting (and I predict you will), why not click the "nearest benchmark" link for every cache you're preparing to hunt? You will be amazed at how often there is a benchmark at, or very close to, a cache.

Meanwhile, while searching the benchmark data sheets, if you see a dozen recovery notes for a station, click "nearest caches". There's probably a reason why a particular station is so "popular". The logs are another clue--especially if many of them say, "Stumbled across this benchmark while doing 'The Bear in His Den'."

Combining these two aspects of the hobby will give you many opportunities to grab multiple targets at one location.

-PFF-

Just be careful with this method though...I have seen multiple recoveries listed on a mark - only to read (and see pictures if provided) not one of them has found the correct mark! Multiple recoveries on a mark can be very misleading!

Just becaue a benchmark is there - it does not mean it is the correct one! Verify all the stampings first! Reference Marks, Azimuth Marks and Main Stations all look very similiar to the novice. And, especially around here, one agency (WIDOT) is very good at ripping out the original mark and placing their own in the same spot!

Edited by AstroD-Team