'Switching Originals' for 'wannabe's

90%Angel

Ok, I've seen this a few times now and would like peoples thoughts on it. Namely, finding a cache which shows a TB attached to it's hitch hiker (little car, stuffie.. whatever) But, when you go to retrieve it, Alas, the little hitch hiker has somehow become a "Shape Shifter" and doesnt even resemble the Original! (and is often even a very poor replacement.)Doesn't that seem really 'low' for someone to 'Switch' TB Hitch hikers for, I can only assume, their own Private Collection? Much as I'd like to beleive all fellow Cachers have a 'good sense of Sportsmanship', guess that only applies 'in a perfect world'.

One possibility is that an unknowing geocacher came along and traded out the "bug" but left the tag behind without realizing that the tag and "bug" belong together and aren't swag.

I wouldn't want to assume geoachers would do this because they had no respect. It's better to think it's a mistake and the new attachment to the tag is done by a cacher hoping to "repair" the bug.

Edited by bittsen
I heard of one guy that used to take the Jeep TBs off their tags, and replace them with other vehicles.
I found one of those. It was a White "Jeep" TB that had become a White VW Bug TB. I had assumed that first the Jeep disappeared, and then someone else found the Jeep-less TB tag and decided to contribute the VW bug. It never occurred to me that anyone would swap something else for the item the TB tag was attached to. :)

Ok, I've seen this a few times now and would like peoples thoughts on it. Namely, finding a cache which shows a TB attached to it's hitch hiker (little car, stuffie.. whatever) But, when you go to retrieve it, Alas, the little hitch hiker has somehow become a "Shape Shifter" and doesnt even resemble the Original! (and is often even a very poor replacement.)Doesn't that seem really 'low' for someone to 'Switch' TB Hitch hikers for, I can only assume, their own Private Collection? Much as I'd like to beleive all fellow Cachers have a 'good sense of Sportsmanship', guess that only applies 'in a perfect world'.

Fortunately any Travel Bug can be recovered and re-released. It's the nature of the beast for bugs to go missing, so to have an attached traveler replaced isn't the worst thing that can happen.

I'm the first person to say that you should be able to retrieve a bug and move it to the next cache without much trouble, but when you come across an issue, talk to the owner.

One possibility is that an unknowing geocacher came along and traded out the "bug" but left the tag behind without realizing that the tag and "bug" belong together and aren't swag.

I wouldn't want to assume geoachers would do this because they had no respect. It's better to think it's a mistake and the new attachment to the tag is done by a cacher hoping to "repair" the bug.

...well.. yes, I had thought of that, but I've only just passed the 60 mile mark and have already come across 4 or 5 of these! I generally look at the 'original' before I go out, and have been quite literally 'surprised' that the 'hitch hiker' is nothing like the it is supose to be. I have also 'repaired' a bug because after veiwing the original and seeing it was so 'far removed' from it's mark, wanted to restore some dignity to it's original form. Perhaps I should not have done that? I dunno, as I said, Im a 'relative newbie'. I just think it's sad that this keeps cropping up. I don't really think they are all 'mistakes'.

Haven't seen it happen, yet. Usually TB just vanishes. I have found some TBs in very poor condition and have taken to my TB hospital for a bit of repair, before sending them back on their way.

Kuddo's to you! I understand, and have done so as well. I just think considering the relatively small amount of Caches I've found, to have seen 4-5 of these 'shape shifters' with no explanation, ... well...it really does seem that there 'may be' Hitch-Hiker pilferers' out there!

I have found some TBs in very poor condition and have taken to my TB hospital for a bit of repair, before sending them back on their way.

I found the remains of this TB around a cache that had been consumed by a lawnmower.

Before:

39f0d5d5-d6d2-4dd3-8b99-a7f5e014de6e.jpg

After:

aa079acd-85a8-4fb4-b1c5-3d098a7b2f59.jpg

Well that is a different situation all togeather dont you think? Finding a 'damaged one' is not the same as finding one that shows a very definite picture of it, only to find it a vague facimille of what it was suppose to be. If it were my TB, I think I'd be a little 'ticked' if there were no explanation from the person who 'altered it'.

I haven't come across that yet.but i know a geocacher that took a brand new TB to a event out of state to send off and somebody took it off the table and it has never been seen again.

hmmmm obviously not everyone has a Conscience! I really beleive in 'fair play'... and enjoy AND respect the effort that people go to in placeing Caches as well as sending of TB's with a mission. I think it's kind of sad that 'some' people would take advantage of grabbing a treasure with NO intention of trying to honor the goal, just plan on adding to their collection. I really don't think that is a 'stretch' or that Im being too assuming... I just think sometimes, it's too obvious!

I heard of one guy that used to take the Jeep TBs off their tags, and replace them with other vehicles.
I found one of those. It was a White "Jeep" TB that had become a White VW Bug TB. I had assumed that first the Jeep disappeared, and then someone else found the Jeep-less TB tag and decided to contribute the VW bug. It never occurred to me that anyone would swap something else for the item the TB tag was attached to. :)

Well I suppose, in all fairness.... it ''COULD'' get detached from the original tag, however, as I've stated earlier, finding 4-5 of these out of onl 60 Caches (several micro's) seems a little excessive to me. I think my reasoning on this is partly jaded because I have seen so many caches that 'SAY' they have TB's and they completely disappear. They can't All be from Muggles!.. what else should I conclude?

After a year I'm still 'new' to this pastime... but enjoy tracing down problems... caches or Tracables etc...

One thing I've started doing is making sure that TBs or Coins I come across have Images on their pages... and if they don't match an existing 'original' image, they get a new one showing exactly what is there now...

Lots of these things have no 'original' pics... or mission tags etc.

I don't believe in adding tags without permission of the owner, but do believe in providing both interest (history) pics and ID shots when needed/appropriate... minus the T#s of course.

Fortunately any Travel Bug can be recovered and re-released. It's the nature of the beast for bugs to go missing, so to have an attached traveler replaced isn't the worst thing that can happen.

I'm the first person to say that you should be able to retrieve a bug and move it to the next cache without much trouble, but when you come across an issue, talk to the owner.

Ok... Im not sure what you mean... any travel bug can be recovered?.. and re-released????. ..How's that???

Would you mind expanding on that some?

After a year I'm still 'new' to this pastime... but enjoy tracing down problems... caches or Tracables etc...

One thing I've started doing is making sure that TBs or Coins I come across have Images on their pages... and if they don't match an existing 'original' image, they get a new one showing exactly what is there now...

Lots of these things have no 'original' pics... or mission tags etc.

I don't believe in adding tags without permission of the owner, but do believe in providing both interest (history) pics and ID shots when needed/appropriate... minus the T#s of course.

I agree, and I do the same! Any TB's I find, I take a photo of right away. If it is 'changed' from the original, I will post it as I found it. At least that way when the next Cacher comes along, they will know what they are looking for if they want to retrieve a TB!

I found a travel bug tag once under the leaves near a cache - just the tag and chain. When I got home, it turned out it had been in a muggled cache nearby several months earlier. I contacted the owner asking what they'd like me to do and when I'd heard nothing for a month, I re-released it with a new traveller on it (with a similar sentiment to the original).

It now bears no resemblance to either its name or original photo but at least it's out travelling again.

When I set my travel bug loose I just want it to move. The first one will welcome carriers to add to it. It's mission will be to collect key fobs along the way.

Interesting, ...so it would need to be placed in bigger and bigger caches then in order to accomodate all the extra 'fobs'? ...

I found a travel bug tag once under the leaves near a cache - just the tag and chain. When I got home, it turned out it had been in a muggled cache nearby several months earlier. I contacted the owner asking what they'd like me to do and when I'd heard nothing for a month, I re-released it with a new traveller on it (with a similar sentiment to the original).

It now bears no resemblance to either its name or original photo but at least it's out travelling again.

Good for you, at least you tried to contact the owner. So when you re-released it, is it then considered 'Your' inventory? or is it still connected to the Original owner. You can only Activate it once can't you?

I found just the tag once was suppose to have a hand puppet kangaroo and baby roo in its pouch attached. I assume some kid wanted the puppet so it was taken off I did not have a Kangaroo but I did have a Froggie so it became a Shape shifter and went back out and I added a note when I logged it about what i did to it. I also found a geo coin in a cache that had not beem logged into the cache it was in and had not been even logged for over a year the owner was thrilled it was found but then less then 3 drops later it turned up missing again well maybe it will show up again some time, the owner emailed me and said go looking for it again LOL I said I would keep my eyes open they said cause I seemed to be a lucky finder. People do all kind of weird things out there in the world, do not let it get to you. / mcellen

I found just the tag once was suppose to have a hand puppet kangaroo and baby roo in its pouch attached. I assume some kid wanted the puppet so it was taken off I did not have a Kangaroo but I did have a Froggie so it became a Shape shifter and went back out and I added a note when I logged it about what i did to it. I also found a geo coin in a cache that had not beem logged into the cache it was in and had not been even logged for over a year the owner was thrilled it was found but then less then 3 drops later it turned up missing again well maybe it will show up again some time, the owner emailed me and said go looking for it again LOL I said I would keep my eyes open they said cause I seemed to be a lucky finder. People do all kind of weird things out there in the world, do not let it get to you. / mcellen

Yeah, I know, ...I think you are right though, sometimes they can't help become 'Shape Shifters' if you want to send them on their way again. Happy Caching!

Here's how it happens (my theory).

This is just a hypothetical example, but you will get the idea.

Geocacher has a few kids. Goes out caching, maybe with the family, and picks up some travel bugs on the way. Maybe doesn't even look at what he's got until he gets home.

Kids play with the bugs, maybe even the kids' friends do too. Soon, somebody takes the Spongebob off the keyring and *poof* it's gone.

Cacher's wife cleans house and dumps all the travel bugs in a jar.

Cacher later dumps all the travel bugs in a TB hotel someplace, and there you go.

Next cacher finds a bug with nothing on it or something new in its place.

Edited by RadishSpirit

Here's how it happens (my theory).

This is just a hypothetical example, but you will get the idea.

Geocacher has a few kids. Goes out caching, maybe with the family, and picks up some travel bugs on the way. Maybe doesn't even look at what he's got until he gets home.

Kids play with the bugs, maybe even the kids' friends do too. Soon, somebody takes the Spongebob off the keyring and *poof* it's gone.

Cacher's wife cleans house and dumps all the travel bugs in a jar.

Cacher later dumps all the travel bugs in a TB hotel someplace, and there you go.

Next cacher finds a bug with nothing on it or something new in its place.

lol... is this the voice of experience? .. that's a 'possible' I guess... but I'd also add that may cover a possible 15% or so of the missing Hitchhikers.....still have to wonder about the other 85%... LOL Happy Caching!

Here is another one to ponder. I found a cache with TBs inside and took a photo of one to discover and picked up the other to move. Got home and as I am about to log, I noticed that tracking number written on the blue book is the same as the TB tag on the keychain.

62db3ce3-5e1d-4c60-b36f-58f31a18d6af.jpge80f1b0e-be49-41f1-8016-5f6bbf70d7d8.jpg

This was not a new drop; the TB had almost 2000 miles on it. I had to contact the owner to sort it out. My best guess is that the tag fell off of the blue book and someone added a keychain to it rather than send it out naked, not realizing that the tag belonged on the other object.

A little off topic

This thread has just given me an idea for the unactivated TB i have had sat im my cache box for a few month's now with no idea what to do with it.

It will be The Ever Changing TB :D

Every time it is discovered or retrieved the mission will be to change the item attached to the tag!! and upload a photo of the new look TB.

Even if it never leaves the same state every time you discover it, it will be like finding a new one as it will never be the same!!

A little off topic

This thread has just given me an idea for the unactivated TB i have had sat im my cache box for a few month's now with no idea what to do with it.

It will be The Ever Changing TB :D

Every time it is discovered or retrieved the mission will be to change the item attached to the tag!! and upload a photo of the new look TB.

Even if it never leaves the same state every time you discover it, it will be like finding a new one as it will never be the same!!

Nice idea.. i like this

Allow me to be the grey cloud. People don't always choose the right traveler to attach, it might be some thing that doesn't travel well. Plus they need to make sure they add it securely or the tag gets separated and lost.

A little off topic

It will be The Ever Changing TB :)

LOL... now THAT's Cool!.. even more so if you request every 'change' be posted with a Picture! Good Luck with that!

A little off topic

It will be The Ever Changing TB :)

LOL... now THAT's Cool!.. even more so if you request every 'change' be posted with a Picture! Good Luck with that!

BTW.. you could call it 'The Shape-Shifter'... or tha Cameleon.. LOL... too funny~

]

Exactly what I mean! Don't you find that irritating? I do! I think if they can't play the game honorably, they should'nt be playing at all!

Yes, on a privatly owned TB, but I thought it was funny in the corporate ones...I mean who's feelings are they hurting?

Fixed that for you!! Gotta close out the instructions about font/size etc.